125 vs 250F

I like what Alex said. I would go one step further and make the age for a 250F at 16. No matter the size of the kid I don't believe a rider the qualifies as a "youth" rider has any business on a 250F let alone a 450. I was always the big kid growing up. At 15 I was 6' and 180 and a 125 had no problem taking me as fast as I wanted to go. Yes the power to weight ratio is not on your side when you are racing against other guys 130 to 140 lbs but developing talent can overcome the difference. Very few riders can use all the power a 125 can deliver but most have just use the excuse that your too big and buy a bigger bike. Non-sense... Try turning the throttle a little more.

I would think part of the issue on the rule would take into consideration age over weight because of mental maturity. Its the idea that a 11-12 year old isnt going to make the correlation between going all out on a 250f or 450 compared to a 85 they just jumped off of. In my mind that is more important especially today with the power output of these things. Better to hold them back a year or two than have a major injury.

Think I am leaning toward a 125. Were not 125s and 250 4 strokes supposed to be about the same horsepower. lol.

That's ridiculous Alex... I was 13 when I started racing my 426 in 2004. I was 5'10 and 230ish lbs... There was no way my dad was buying me an unreliable 250f at the time nor was he going to put me on a bike that couldn't haul my fat ass around. I learned a lot on riding the 426 and it had an aggressive hit like my 250st had...

I'm 5'10 289 lbs at 52 years old. Just sayin.
My 13 year old is a 5'10 230 lbs defensive lineman, riding a CRF150R. Plays football, but all he thinks about is motocross. Loves dirt bikes! Thinkin of getting him a 125 this winter as he just looks too big for the 150R. There aren't any beginner classes for 125s, but that's the speed he rides, so we'll just practice until he gets comfortable. I agree John, I think a 125 is a good transistion for younger riders.

Back