Old days vs Today

When was the last time you got a Christmas card from your bike shop or track?

Attachments

• avonsuzycard001.jpg
    avonsuzycard001.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 234
  • cledirtbike001.jpg
    cledirtbike001.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 201
  • smithroadchristmas001.jpg
    smithroadchristmas001.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 223
In 1978 I paid $1300 for my 1977 Montesa 360VB as a leftover ( still have it, dismantled ) . Mx and harescrambled it against all the Jap and Euro stuff and never felt outgunned .

In 1981 Honda brought out their first big bore 2-stroke ; the CR450R . I HAD to have one ! All my buddies said I was nuts to pay $2200 for it ( NOBODY paid over 2 grand for a dirt bike ! ) because it was the first model year and would only be worth a few hundred after racing it . Loved that bike and raced it at least twice a weekend for 2 years . It just " fit " me . Retired from racing ( the first time ) in '83 and held on to that one until Hartney got it in , what , 2003 ?

Dang , String Bean ( MX099 ) , how tall are you ? My CR450 was very reliable . When the first few came out there was a pin in the shifting mechanism that would bend and stick you in (usually ) second gear . Happened to me on the second lap of a 2 hour harescramble at Gran Prix ( my 2nd race on the bike ) . I was pissed and screamed the balls off the bike , finishing in the trophies . Honda made it right with the pin and I raced it the rest of that season with no engine mechanicals . Did a piston and bore for the next year but it actually didn't need it . The only other major I had was the shock shaft breaking . This was a common problem but Honda wouldn't stand behind that one . Bought a Fox Factory Twin Clicker ( WOW , trick ! An adjustable shock ! ) and never had another DNF because of the bike .

In 1981 I was 17 years old, 6' tall and weighed about 130. The bike was fast. Look close my feet ar 6" off the pegs. That bike never knew I was on it.
I had to send the motor to Honda. I couldn't keep clutches in it. They added journals to increase oil flow, never had another problem. Blew the seals out of the rear shock. And broke the shaft. Honda always made good on my problems.
The 4 speed was the greatest. I should of never had a 450 that year. The 250's sold like hot cakes, and the dealer convinced me I belonged on a 450. What a year!

Thanks to whomever posted this results scan from Smith Rd. in '76.... Great to see all the names, including mine! Sharc, I don't remember that day, you? Plus, all my trophied burned up when my sponsor's shop (Cleveland Motorcycle Supply's west-wide outlet in North Ridgeville) caught fire....

Attachments

• SmithRoad 1976.jpg
    SmithRoad 1976.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 67
Back