2015 By the numbers

Thanks for the advice Tim. Good luck with the OTC and future events, wherever those may be.

Give the OTC a class at every Oma sanctioned event.

These outcries for staggers....you know give staggers to A class and B class. You want a stagger...? leave the c class. If you want to stay in c. That's great but you might not get a stagger.

That probably won't work. Maybe just a blatant "we fill the gates here and everyone has the same disadvantage by leaving the gate with a few different classes". One weekend you might get tangled and get screwed by someone outside of your class. But surely your competition will have the same problem at one time or another. So it evens out over the long run.

I know, but why not load the gate up even more, fill the gate as much as possible on every drop, even if it takes 5 classes. I realize there are a multitude of classes that cant be run together but it seems there are many more than normally are. The other positive to this would be racing in a larger group of people is just more fun.

The masses are against loading the gate, I hear more bitching about classes getting their own, staggers, who goes first, and all things on between. It's out of control.

Which blows my mind. Whatever. Stagger them all. When they get to a regional and have no experience on full gates they'll wish they didn't have so much stagger experience.

Where are the vendors at BC and the other tracks? Bring them in! It costs you NOTHING and I know most tracks charge a small fee for them to have a spot. Let them in free if you have to, they add a big race feel.
Not sure where you were this past year but with the exception of the fair races, we have offered trackside support at just about every OMA event held during 2015 including Briarcliff, OIR, MX213, Malvern and Chilitown. We've also been able to attend races at East Fork, Meadowlark, Smith Road and Route 62. Most of these events had food and clothing vendors also. I definitely agree that having vendors at the races offers riders and spectators that big race feeling. We truly appreciate the opportunity to support the riders and their fans. Most of the track owners have been very accommodating with entry fees however free is always better. We would love to attend every 2016 OMA event but it also has to make financial sense to do so. Due to a number of factors including internet sales, the local parts business has changed drastically in recent years. We are currently reviewing our 2015 results and with the recent addition of some very distant tracks, we will be making some tough decisions on how we are going to approach 2016. Overall, I think we all need to work together to find a way to grow the support by offering a better experience for everyone in attendance. I'm not on anyone's side but I do know these two things.

1. The riders have to understand that although the OMA itself may be a non-profit, the individual track owners are running a business. They spend countless hours building/maintaining/promoting their facilities so that we all have a place to ride/race and they should be able to make some money doing so.

2. The track owners have to understand that as business owners, we have to listen to what our customers say and be open to suggestion and change because without our customers, we will not exist

For everyone that thinks cutting classes is a good idea, I would implore you to go to the OMA FB page and witness what is going on regards to the girls class removal. Read the comments from the parents of the little girl that it effects. Its always a good idea until its your class. Here again, you all have the privaledge of offering suggestions, but luxury of not carrying them out (not placing blame, we made that decision). So if I get testy from time to time, here is the example of why. Just food for thought. This is part of the reason that we have kept so many classes, the landscape has changed from the old days, you have completely new generations of racers and Parents! Its not as simple as any one thinks. just FYI.

Its the nanny state of mind of parents today. They think the world evolves around little Billy, and no one else exist. That's why at soccer games they have tunnels after the game, and snacks for and tell Billy he did wonderful, when he didnt. We need more coaches in the world that teach kids how to win and lose with grace and dignity......and ones that look at little Billy when he screws up and says here, this is what you did wrong, and here is how you correct it next time.

No different in motocross. How many participation awards you need before you dont want one anymore? Cut them out. If your not in the top 5, no award. Teach kids that when they get 5th place, they will get a trophy. Everyone always has to be a winner in todays world. That is why we have 20 and 30 year olds that live at home, dont have jobs, stay on daddys insurance until age 26.........because they are babied their entire lives.

Its the nanny state of mind of parents today. They think the world evolves around little Billy, and no one else exist. That's why at soccer games they have tunnels after the game, and snacks for and tell Billy he did wonderful, when he didnt. We need more coaches in the world that teach kids how to win and lose with grace and dignity......and ones that look at little Billy when he screws up and says here, this is what you did wrong, and here is how you correct it next time.

No different in motocross. How many participation awards you need before you dont want one anymore? Cut them out. If your not in the top 5, no award. Teach kids that when they get 5th place, they will get a trophy. Everyone always has to be a winner in todays world. That is why we have 20 and 30 year olds that live at home, dont have jobs, stay on daddys insurance until age 26.........because they are babied their entire lives.

I love snacks please bring more for me

For everyone that thinks cutting classes is a good idea, I would implore you to go to the OMA FB page and witness what is going on regards to the girls class removal. Read the comments from the parents of the little girl that it effects. Its always a good idea until its your class. Here again, you all have the privaledge of offering suggestions, but luxury of not carrying them out (not placing blame, we made that decision). So if I get testy from time to time, here is the example of why. Just food for thought. This is part of the reason that we have kept so many classes, the landscape has changed from the old days, you have completely new generations of racers and Parents! Its not as simple as any one thinks. just FYI.
Facebook.....I follow that page and haven't seen a post in months. Another fine example of how well FB works.

It looks like the biggest girls bike class this year was seven riders, another with five. The rest was either one rider or two, and once with three. That's not really racing, more like just riding around. I know you feel differently if it is your child though. Stick her in with the boys and have her kick some butt.

My daughters started racing quads in 1999, There was no separate class for girls and it tickled me to death for them to go out there and whup up on those boys. It will make her a better rider in the end if that is the end result you are looking for. If it's a trophy and a "championship" that you are wanting, well then I can see why you are upset.

There was a little girl on her YZ125 that would show up at the races.

She would ride with the boys in whatever 125 class was offered that day.

Not intimidated, she would run against anyone, anytime.

We were stoked whenever she would show up. It was cool.

She was a bad-ass.

She was Tina Clary

I made it clear that my girls have raced mini quads with the boys. One gets smoked but just loves being out there, the other is mid to back of the pack and hates being back there, she wants to win. Two completely different views, but both want to race if you ask them. Whether it's with boys,girls, brucelan (or whatever he/she's name is), they don't need a "girls class". It would be different if we had 4-5 regulars that hit the girls bike class, but we don't.

Back