2015 By the numbers

And the numbers just got even more interesting last night. If all goes as planned, the 2016 numbers will look like a red, black, and yellow storm swept across Ohio.........

What real change is coming that will be different than what we have? Its funny that everyone wants to argue about how to change things for the better, new ideas for making MX more appealing to new racers that are shot down because it will hurt attendance. Look at the numbers!!! My goodness, you cant really do a whole lot worse!

Try new innovative things to get people to the race track! Let it work for a season and see what happens!

On a normal practice day try your King of the cliff idea! Instead of the mylaps system do 2,3 or 4 heat races then one 15 min moto. It will take an hour out of that day. Big deal. If it works then run that event 4 times through out the year for a king of the cliff award at the end.

Try a series with 4 races spread out through the season with a limited 10 class structure or so, 2- 15 minute motos and go home.

Try ANYTHING very different from the normal to raise awareness and attendance at the races.

Those numbers scared me.

So where in the contiguous united states is limited structure working? Show me the proof that it will work. Because the last time I checked you both have zero hours promoting motocross, its like listening to the auto mechanic on advice for the HVAC in your house. Riding, racing, and just being around this does NOT make you a promotor. Id say put your money where your mouth is and go make it happen. Good luck. Talks cheap.

Look at the Rt. 62 mini race. With just a month of planning and not a great deal of pub, they were about to pull over 100 for just 13 classes. (Would have been more if I were not sick that weekend) I like to think the success of that one event was because it was something different, long moto's and catering to a specific crowd. Hopefully with a year to plan it will be even bigger next year.
It did not count in anyone averages but the addition of The Fork in 2016 will for sure bump the numbers.

So where in the contiguous united states is limited structure working? Show me the proof that it will work. Because the last time I checked you both have zero hours promoting motocross, its like listening to the auto mechanic on advice for the HVAC in your house. Riding, racing, and just being around this does NOT make you a promotor. Id say put your money where your mouth is and go make it happen. Good luck. Talks cheap.
I did promote for over a decade at Happy Hollow in the old D-11.
Oh, and your statement of limited classes? Look north about 30 miles. RT62 did it and I think it worked.

I did promote for over a decade at Happy Hollow in the old D-11.
Oh, and your statement of limited classes? Look north about 30 miles. RT62 did it and I think it worked.
So it only "works" if the average per class is high? Wrong. You will have bankrupted tracks. I spend roughly 15k per race. I'm sure it can be done cheaper, but I'm choosing to do it my way. I think I can get it down to 10k with some ingenuity. Now you two smartasses tell me how to break even on this genius class list? It won't work. Go buy a track. I will help you prep it for the pure enjoyment of watching it go down in flames. It takes more than good averages, it takes volume. Without volume races have to be cheap, like cut out safety, prep, awards etc. Sorry folks no squad today, or flaggers, and we are giving out stickers for awards.

And another thing, why divide the pie if the sport is truly in decline???? A vet race, a mini race, a one eared donkey race? You cannot afford to cut out many groups and succeed.

I'm a little confused by the hostility? No one said anything about the cost of a race or how much you payout for a race. If keeping classes that only have 2 or 3 per race keeps you in the black then keep them. Not sure how that works since you said one of the big costs is awards and clearly cutting the number of classes reduces the amount of awards. But hey. It must be that new math.
Having a mini race or a vet race is something different, and from the one example we have to go by here in Ohio it looks like it worked.
And I am pretty sure I attended several races this year that would have been better off if none of the "flagger" would have been there. If they are setting 30 feet off the track in a chair on the backside of a double then they are not needed.
Cant believe I am saying this but don't be so negative. New ideas and trying something different may help. Never know for sure until you try.

Besides, don't you have a water pump to drain? Someone give him a hug... it will be OK J.O.

Look at the Rt. 62 mini race. With just a month of planning and not a great deal of pub, they were about to pull over 100 for just 13 classes. (Would have been more if I were not sick that weekend) I like to think the success of that one event was because it was something different, long moto's and catering to a specific crowd. Hopefully with a year to plan it will be even bigger next year.
It did not count in anyone averages but the addition of The Fork in 2016 will for sure bump the numbers.

The weather was REALLY sketchy that day as well. Probably made a lot of people stay home.

Here is the average entries by class for the year. it is kinda hard to read but you can figure it out.
Of course, the class structure is not the same for all four organizations so again you have to look at it through rose colored glasses.
These numbers are tough to swallow. I raced 450C class this year in CRA. For the most part there was 4 guys per race. What fun is that??? I stopped about halfway through the year, the money spent was just not worth it. Its a shame that OMA events are on average 3 hours away from me because I would attend them more frequently....

Quite frankly we have some good news coming, and we work hard for no pay at Oma. It's a non profit. Jason and I aren't profiting from it. I was up at 4am yday, drove home at 11:30pm, for who? You guys, all for you, and so I get to hear about all of efforts are a waste because we aren't accepting of this limited class crap?? I talk to lots of people and I think most are fed with the 1985 pipe dream. It's a free country go buy some land and make it happen. I built mine with my two hands. Go on get busy, you got land to look for, loans to secure, equipment to buy. I'm sure most lending institutions will buy, "it's got to work, look at the numbers"

I talk to a lot of people too and 100% say JO is a dick but we still support you. Damn dude chill out. If you don't like it or want to use the numbers then don't. Several other tracks are using the numbers and if that helps any or all then I am more then happy to do it.
The suggestion of limited classes was just that, a suggestion. Someone tried it and it looks like it worked. So maybe BC does not want to try it, but maybe other tracks do want to try something different.
If this part of the report gets your panties in a wad, you are going to hate the quad numbers...

The weather was REALLY sketchy that day as well. Probably made a lot of people stay home.
We ran a very low budget event. Volunteer flaggers, squad cut us a great deal, awards were at a cut rate price and all the people that helped volunteered their time. But.. The 2nd motos all but 2 flaggers disappeared. There was only 1 other race going on that day over 2 hours away. The weather probably kept a few riders away as well as a big guy that must be built cheap (sorry Knox) because he was to sick to show up.

We have too many people relying on us to make good sound decisions on classes. Its not like we can say "oh well sorry" if we try something and it impacts 5-10 tracks and over 1700 people. Its not all about making money, even though that's how I come across. We want our tracks to do good and want to do good. I don't want to set them up for failure, and that's what I see happening if we take those numbers and just start chopping it all up. Just calling it how I see it. No apologies here. If you want some liberal hippy type of response, you are at the wrong place. I mean we are way past the point of suggestion here, this keeps coming up from the same dingle berries every two-three months.

Those "dingle berries" are your customers. If the voice of your customers does not matter then customers go away. Ask Don Kenworthy about that lesson.

Dave is the guy that goes racing every chance he gets, rides at practice tracks, races gp,s, harescrambles, supports local bike shops, puts on free ride days, provides a fender for people to crap on, and hands out cash at race tracks just like me and many others you like to insult and chase away any chance you get.

We call these customers, they usually know what product they are interested in.

Anyway, back to the numbers. Anybody have ideas on how we can boost the classes with sagging numbers? I am quickly approaching the 50+ class and if I ever get off my fat arse and lose some weight it would be fun to race that class one day.
What has happened to the 25+ class? Back when I was racing I could not wait until I got to 25. That class was big back in the day.
I still like the idea of 25+, 35+ and 45+

Back