2015 By the numbers

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
461-1293982631-d08ac36ff3ca8f8b7daef433ade751ff.jpg

Woody

PR Addict
I know this goes against the core fabric of PitRacer, but why not focus on what is working, like the battle series (a known fact) rather than throwing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks (i.e. most of the ideas in this thread)

So why is the Battle series successful?
is it because it's cheap to race? Nope.
Is it because of limited class structure? Nope.
Is it because of shorter days at the track? Nope
Is it because of more seat time? Nope.

Yet people still show up like crazy. WTF??? So why does it work?

Better prep than a normal raceday? Maybe.
More compitition than a normal raceday? Maybe.
Because the there are a limited number of races in the series? Maybe.
Is it the "Big Event" feel? Maybe.

So when people say it cost too much to race are they really talking about it how it cost too much to race a whole season long series with little reward at the end of the year? When people are they talking about spending too much time at the track is it for a single raceday, or is it too much time to go racing every Sunday all summer long?

As times have changed so have the riders/races way of thinking. For me personally, I can afford both financially/time wise to spend one weekend a month at the races, and fill in other free time with open practice. Still looking for the most bang for the buck, I'm going to hit the Battle series (and OMA's Spring series) for all the reasons above.

Double D

PR Founding Father

I would say yes to these and add the small bikes get big track time.

handracing

PR Founding Father
The extendedcross was fun- we would change a few things now knowing numbers, time factor etc. but all in all it was a fun day and we were glad to give it a try!!! It was a bummer that there were 10 tracks either running practice/race within an hour and half of one another!!! :mad:

ck1racerx

PR Addict
The extendedcross was fun- we would change a few things now knowing numbers, time factor etc. but all in all it was a fun day and we were glad to give it a try!!! It was a bummer that there were 10 tracks either running practice/race within an hour and half of one another!!! :mad:
If my son ever gets competitive, we will be there. Sounds like a great time.

hershey

PR Elite
I know this goes against the core fabric of PitRacer, but why not focus on what is working, like the battle series (a known fact) rather than throwing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks (i.e. most of the ideas in this thread)

So why is the Battle series successful?
is it because it's cheap to race? Nope.
Is it because of limited class structure? Nope.
Is it because of shorter days at the track? Nope
Is it because of more seat time? Nope.

Yet people still show up like crazy. WTF??? So why does it work?

Better prep than a normal raceday? Maybe.

So when people say it cost too much to race are they really talking about it how it cost too much to race a whole season long series with little reward at the end of the year? When people are they talking about spending too much time at the track is it for a single raceday, or is it too much time to go racing every Sunday all summer long?

As times have changed so have the riders/races way of thinking. For me personally, I can afford both financially/time wise to spend one weekend a month at the races, and fill in other free time with open practice. Still looking for the most bang for the buck, I'm going to hit the Battle series (and OMA's Spring series) for all the reasons above.

I agree with most ofamous your rea sons why the batitle seris works. But how many of the racers were pro practicers coming to race and how many were currently the racers from all over coming to one event?

And one thing to remember about the complaints on this site.....all the reasons you listed for the success of the battle series were complaints and or requests on here prior to the formation of it. Let that sink in for a minute.

MX315

PR Addict
Less is more...is the keys to success.....chili town comes to mind!!! How about a party at the cliff...two day ride day with sat camping and demos both days...I bet that would bring people in! Kinda like party in the pasture..or something new like a mini race series ..like the battle series but just for mini riders...maybe a round at each OMA track ...that's a new idea!!! Just call me JO or jason...I am a great promoter!!!! Hahahah see ya summit it's going to EPIC!!!!

MX315

PR Addict
Oh I still rememebr how many guys showed up at beans when he had vet practice day....it was a super cool vibe...everyone was cool and having fun...then nobody ever tried it again!!! How many guys on here were there and loved it!!! Speak up!!!!

Woody

PR Addict
Less is more...is the keys to success.....

Bingo! How many entries do you think CTMX would pull in if they had 12 races a year? Numbers would not be 500 per event like Honda Hills used to racing every other weekend.

Just look at Malverns numbers of the Spring series, Battle, and LLAQ versus the other how many other races they held.

Maybe the limited series grows to a point where it becomes a 2 day/3 moto weekend or more split up with Friday practice leaving more time for longer motos. We are progressing in the right direction.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Less is more...is the keys to success.....chili town comes to mind!!! How about a party at the cliff...two day ride day with sat camping and demos both days...I bet that would bring people in! Kinda like party in the pasture..or something new like a mini race series ..like the battle series but just for mini riders...maybe a round at each OMA track ...that's a new idea!!! Just call me JO or jason...I am a great promoter!!!! Hahahah see ya summit it's going to EPIC!!!!

This is what blows my mind about mx today. Do people go to race or do they go to party ? I go to race. If you want to party then go to a concert. If it's an event (needing to be there all weekend) id prefer it to be quiet atleast by 10pm. Again, I'm here to race....

I don't care about awards. I care about competition and having to earn a position whether it's 1st or 20th. Racing 3 guys that are spread out isn't earning anything.

The battle series and a few other great promoters is the only thing that sucked me back into racing or id save my money and practice.

hershey

PR Elite
Bingo! How many entries do you think CTMX would pull in if they had 12 races a year? Numbers would not be 500 per event like Honda Hills used to racing every other weekend.

Just look at Malverns numbers of the Spring series, Battle, and LLAQ versus the other how many other races they held.

Maybe the limited series grows to a point where it becomes a 2 day/3 moto weekend or more split up with Friday practice leaving more time for longer motos. We are progressing in the right direction.

The 3 day 3 motor format was tried. Mother nature ruined and the promoter said it won't come back.

Those events you brought up are special events. They draw a crowd, I don't think any track wants that for every race. The amount of work and stress involved is ridiculous.

Obviously there is not much of a problem or any solutions. Carry on, nothing to see here

TimSr90

PR Addict
So I guess to answer your question, no the Medina Co fair is not a "great growing success" because of the numbers of a fair in Cadiz. It apearanly is a "great growing success" when measuring it by the criteria you have suggested. As it (like most of the other rounds) had a 32% Increase over the prior years turn out.

Again Tim, I sincerly want to thank you for bringing this up as it has proved a very important point.

And your answer has proved mine. Unless you ran an awful lot of unsanctioned classes, you claims sure don't match the mylaps points numbers. Using just sanctioned points classes, in 2013, your first OMA year, entries dropped 20%. In 2014 they dropped an additional 19%. In 2015 they went up by a whopping 6%, so after 3 years, you are still at a 33% net loss from when you last did it as a CRA race. Since 4% of your 2013 was trike racers not included in mylaps, we can realistically move that 4% loss to 2014 instead of 2013. I don't know how many other non-points class you run, but I doubt its enough to cover your claims. Any fool can look to the handful of spectators in the stands that were near full before, and see the decline.

So why has it declined, and what can turn it around? I guess nothing, since you are going to insist the stands are full again, and you have 50 or 60 racers running non-points classes.

The fair races are a golden opportunity to drag out the once a year, and first time locals, and present the sport to a huge non-racing public, but the opportunity is squandered to sell OMA membership cards at a fair 60 miles from the closest OMA track, to people who have no interest in year end awards. It was a bad idea when CRA did it, but they got away with it because it was in the middle of CRA country, and a lot of CRA racers were actually interested in racing at fairs. 3 years into it, should tell you you can't pull it off.

john lilly

PR Addict
Do people go to race or do they go to party
Georgie, it depends whom your talking about? I go to let my son do what he loves and support him but I also must say that after the practicing or racing is done, I am there to kick back, relax and have some drinks. Also, for both of us to hang out with our MX friends.
I don't care about awards.
Georgie, I also understand that you don't care about the awards but to some it is a big deal. My son now prefers Kames bucks or shirts over trophies unless it is a big race, like the Battle series. I still remember at my sons first race ever at Malvern Jonathan was on his KX65 and got dead last but for some reason thought he would get a trophy (not sure why). So, he goes up to the little trophy barn and Tina Sams knew he didn't earn one but came up with a trophy to give to him and he thought that was the coolest thing ever, he was on cloud nine. (BTW Thanks Tina it meant a lot to us). So, to some of the newer racers and the little guys, I know it means a lot.

So, I guess even with this topic everyone has their own reasons and perspectives as to why we do, what we do!!!!

MX315

PR Addict
Tim your missing the point on fair races.....they really don't matter in the grand scheme of things ..The CRA is dead man! It's over.