2015 By the numbers

If we help each other, we will become stronger. If we unite, we will become larger. Show your support and enthusiasm for the sport and it will become contagious!

We are all united, and want the same end result. We just do not know how to use our words ha ha.
BUT, I'm pretty good at drinkin beer!
Me and the boy will be back to 62 as often as possible. We can continue plans standing next to the camp fire again.

You want to see why turn out is down at races just take a look at the practice forums on the weekends and there will be 5 tracks open for practice plus the races. There is so many practice tracks now a days that its killing race turn outs, before if you wanted to ride on a mx track you had to race there was hardly any open practice. Just this weekend there is 8 tracks open for practice the tracks are killing each other.

You want to see why turn out is down at races just take a look at the practice forums on the weekends and there will be 5 tracks open for practice plus the races. There is so many practice tracks now a days that its killing race turn outs, before if you wanted to ride on a mx track you had to race there was hardly any open practice. Just this weekend there is 8 tracks open for practice the tracks are killing each other.
It's a vicious cycle for sure. Practice is cheap to get ready for compared to a race. If you rain out or threating on race day a track is out thousands. If you rain out or there's threating weather on practice day your out hundreds.

Interesting numbers, but hard to find any evidence that "the sport" is growing. For that matter, looks like you are just trying to measure the growth of OMA, against the decline of others. OMA is certainly growing, and and I congratulate you. I disagree with any analysis that these numbers indicate there were more racers in Ohio than the year before. Maybe there were, but the answer cannot be found here.

If you want to claim that "the sport" has changed trajectory, you are going to need total number of racers at all events, and compare that number to the prior year.

I find it especially interesting that we are going to measure the success of OMA Faircross by comparing it to CRA Faircross instead of measuring each event against its prior year's numbers. Is Medina Fair a great growing success because it has more riders than the fair in Cadiz? I guess getting finished before dark does cut down on the lighting costs, but if you want to come up with ideas to improve OMA and grow the sport, it is foolish to overlook the events that used to bring in more once a year, non-series, hometown riders, and had more exposure to the non-racing public than any others. All the places potentially new racers come from. First you have to look at the actual numbers before claiming that OMA takeover has been good for Faircross.

Funny you should bring that up Tim. All our fair cross numbers were up this year from the prior years numbers with the exception of Holmes and Knox Co. Knox Co who had a huge turnout last year as they had their race on a Friday night. This year they went back to a Thursday. Although this years Thursday numbers were up from the last Thursday race 2 years ago. So technically even those race numbers were up. Holmes Co happen to fall on the same night as the the "Hartford National" fair wich was about an hour away. That no doubt affected those race numbers wich were still decent.

So I guess to answer your question, no the Medina Co fair is not a "great growing success" because of the numbers of a fair in Cadiz. It apearanly is a "great growing success" when measuring it by the criteria you have suggested. As it (like most of the other rounds) had a 32% Increase over the prior years turn out.

Again Tim, I sincerly want to thank you for bringing this up as it has proved a very important point.

Last edited:
So this kid was racing a 50 in the 65 class??

My dad used to sign me up to race 60 class when I had my 50.

I don't see the problem with that personally. If you got a kid riding a 65 in the 50 class, then I see a problem. The 50 is already at a disadvantage, so let the guy race.

A kx 100 signed up in the 125 class at CHILITOWN. Same scanario. He was real fast but nobody complained.

You're describing old motocross. But this open practice structure is the new motocross norm. It has evolved from weekdays to weekends. Harescrambles are still living in 1985. But I'm sure harescrambles would do the same if they opened up there courses for $5 on any day that isn't a race day.

Anyway, back to the numbers. Anybody have ideas on how we can boost the classes with sagging numbers? I am quickly approaching the 50+ class and if I ever get off my fat arse and lose some weight it would be fun to race that class one day.
What has happened to the 25+ class? Back when I was racing I could not wait until I got to 25. That class was big back in the day.
I still like the idea of 25+, 35+ and 45+
25+ is the first vet class. That means in some circumstances it's the only class an A rider 25-29 can actually race (unless they want to be the only open A rider as well cause that's a really fun race too.)
However +25 is a 2nd class for 30+ guys, a 3rd class for 35+, a 4th class for 40+.
You can't just eliminate 25-29 year olds. If anything hurts numbers it's the 30+ class.

I'd agree on +25/35/45 and combining A classes(non battle/qualifier/pro day type races).

There was a little kid on his 80 that would show up at the races.

He would ride every big bike class offered that day.

Not intimidated, he would run that 80 against anyone, anytime.

We were stoked whenever he would show up. It was cool.

He was a bad-ass.
125_sellards_action2.jpg

There was a little kid on his 80 that would show up at the races.

He would ride every big bike class offered that day.

Not intimidated, he would run that 80 against anyone, anytime.

We were stoked whenever he would show up. It was cool.

He was a bad-ass.
125_sellards_action2.jpg

I worked at Grand Prix when he was doing that!!!! He would usually wax everyone in A class on that 80!

Per request to pull out the battle numbers:
Kentuciana series average per race: 263.3
OMA average without the 3 battle races: 209.9
D-11: 131.1 per race
CRA: 118.7 per race

Went to East Fork yesterday, which was great practice for my son. (he needs all the time in ruts he can get.) And I had 7 different people ask or talk to me about this thread. All 7 said pretty much the same thing: "I don't race as much as I use to because it cost to much vs. the amount of seat time" and "I don't want to be at the track all day and only get 20 min on the bike." I fully understand from a promoter / track owner stand point about the possibility of losing a few people over "not having a class for me" but I bet triple the amount of people are not coming now because of the current set-up.
With all the changes coming next year, maybe one organization will finally try reducing the number of classes and bring some of the pro practicers back to racing.

So you went to East Fork instead of supporting an event that guaranteed long motos; extendedcross. So twice now a promotor has gone out on a limb to do something unique and cool, and they get is an atta boy? Awesome, changing class structure as I type. And my hat is off to Dave and Lonnie, no ill will towards either event, but it burns my ass a little, and these arent even my races.

Last edited:
After a talk this weekend I need to clarify something here.

I am specifically talking about the number of riders showing up for races in each class when I said " It cant get much worse".

I KNOW how much work is put into running the tracks and organizations! Ive been around this racing scene since 1990 or so. I have a track and the work involved is nothing compared to a full time facility. The hours I spend are stupid so multiply that by about 1000 and you are getting close to some of the owners hours involved.

My ONLY point was to try new things, dont throw away what you are doing currently!

As a group of racers who want our sport to not only to continue to exist but grow into what it once was, we need to find a way to bring not only new racers/ riders in but convince pro practicers who are familiar with the sport to race also. I think this is the easiest market to get.

So instead of bashing lets put our heads together and figure out what innovative things could remove the barriers for that group.

The first one I think of is Jeremy's King Of The Cliff idea. It could easily work at any practice track with little extra cost. You dont call it a race. Call it grouped bracket elimination practice. Advertise it to start at say 1pm. 3 lap bracket eliminations with 4 rounds. Thats 30 mins including a little down time. After the first 2 rounds let the regular practice go for 20 min then run the last 2 rounds. After that let regular practice go for another 20 min. Then take the top 10 guys from each group and run one 15- 20 min moto. No awards, no classes just one big bike class. The real key to making this work is not to charge anything for it. The track is already ready. Its not really a race its just fun competition. Its just part of the practice day. Post results for bragging rights and thats it. But I think it would get the bug for some of them to want to race more. Like Crute said, he doesnt race but the one race he did got him thinking again.

Delta runs iron man races which are 1 hour long moto on a mx/vintage mx track that has about 6 minute lap times. I was done racing by 11:30 and on the road for home before noon. I did leave during the mini moto but after them was open practice from 2-5. I think they averaged 70 riders. Point is what people say and what they do aren't always the same.

Delta runs iron man races which are 1 hour long moto on a mx/vintage mx track that has about 6 minute lap times. I was done racing by 11:30 and on the road for home before noon. I did leave during the mini moto but after them was open practice from 2-5. I think they averaged 70 riders. Point is what people say and what they do aren't always the same.

True but most MX'ers arent into one hour motos or anything close to that long! Hence a part of the reason a failure of the OMA GP series. GP's do work well in southern Ohio so there is reason to believe that format works.

By more seat time I think doing around 5-7 laps would be a good number to shoot for.

So what you are saying is I personally am proof that open practice hurts race attendance? Your 100% correct, it does.
And, "your races"? But you don't make a dime on OMA right? So it cant hurt you.

What I'm saying is that you are proof of what tank166 said is true, what is said and what is done, can be two different things.

Back