2016 AHRMA National Schedule

Bill, I am aware of the AHRMA / AMA history. Maybe not every last detail, but I was an AMA, CCS, & AHRMA roadrace member 18 years ago before I ever raced any off road events with either organization. I don't believe all of the BS I have read or heard and the editorializing about what happened behind closed doors with either side. There were lots of financial woes due to litigation over class naming rights, promotion rights, mismanagement accusations, yada, yada, yada. However, today we are talking about two Non-Profit Organizations that exist to promote motorcycle recreation, not pro-racing.

My comments were purely of the rose colored glasses, pie-in-the-sky optimist variety. Like you, on a given weekend I want to attend the biggest, most fun, most competitive event available, regardless of who the sanctioning body is. VMD is an institution, unfortunately it falls on the same weekend as another race that I would otherwise like to attend. VMX / PVMX is a small pie already, it makes no sense to me to keep cutting it up into ever smaller slices and then argue over who has the most crumbs. If we get beyond the politics and the history we can focus on what is most important, having fun on motorcycles!

BTW: What if your kids got married at VMD? I got married at Barber this year and then the wedding party, including my wife, got to ride the track the next day...fun on motorcycles!

Its time to figure out if you are a leader or a not.... the evidence says NOT

Mike,
Mark rides a 1992ish Ducati Superbike, total road race guy. NJMP happens to be one of the combined events where there is road racing and off-road racing the same weekend at the same venue. Mark definitely gets "it" though and I think he, like Fred, represents a contemporary movement / thinking in AHRMA. It is a process... I will leave it at that.

AND hey, my Kawi is an 83!

BTW: What if your kids got married at VMD? I got married at Barber this year and then the wedding party, including my wife, got to ride the track the next day...fun on motorcycles![/QUOTE]

I can assure you that isn't going to happen! My wife of 21+ years has been planning to drain the family fortune since our wedding for our 2 daughters ages 20 and 18.

Jason - cool you have the history you do with the vintage scene and your thoughts on supporting the one that brings us the most events makes total sense. It even sounds like the AHRMA folks would like avoid the conflict and I have to think the AMA would because while the VMX and PVMX turnout seemed good last year it seemed to me that the roadrace pits and racing were way, way less than normal. Be nice if they both could at least make sure that happens for all of us which I think we can all agree on.

Mike,
Mark rides a 1992ish Ducati Superbike, total road race guy. NJMP happens to be one of the combined events where there is road racing and off-road racing the same weekend at the same venue. Mark definitely gets "it" though and I think he, like Fred, represents a contemporary movement / thinking in AHRMA. It is a process... I will leave it at that.

AND hey, my Kawi is an 83!

MotoJason, you have a great vintage series in your backyard. I don't think I've seen you at any Michigan Vintage Motocross races before?

Hey 726, AMA D-14 is a great vintage series! Awesome coverage in the district newsletter too. I am a AMA/D-14 member, but have not done a race there since last year. I only started racing PVMX in the Summer of 2014, last year I did Log Road and Valley.

This year my work schedule had me in NY most of the time. So, I did the AHRMA North Atlantic series and some of the AHRMA North East races. Those AHRMA series go to some great tracks, Unadilla, Budds Creek, Lake Sugar Tree, Sick Bros, and Tomahawk. Those series, like D-14, also run with modern MX and also with other clubs (ACR/Masters MX) to increase numbers and revenue for the tracks. Other than the ruts the 450s carve, I like being at a race with the modern guys. They think vintage guys are hard core and I think it's good exposure for vintage moto too.

I am planning to attend more D-14 races in 2016. I look forward to meeting you!

I think that it has to be considered, on AMA's behalf, that the scheduling of the Vintage Days weekend event isn't only about motocross.

When I think about it, the AMA has to be mindful around the dates of other "Major" race's or events with Motocross, Hare Scrambles, Trials events, Road Racing, and Flat Track. All of this in addition to coordinating with Mid-Ohio track event's scheduling for the year.

And then add to that possible schedule conflicts around your "Planned Attractions and activities" for the weekend.
Oh, and of course, we can't forget how schedule changes might affect the wonderful folks that drag box's, crates and piles of parts and bikes from all over the USA for the swap meet that some of us love to waste hours and hours and hours browsing through.

Just a wild guess, the numbers coming through the gates at Vintage Days has to be well into the thousands, verses a couple hundred at a good AHRMA event?

I've always thought of Vintage Motorcycle Days as sort of a smorgasbord for motorcyclist of all breeds.

Last edited:
AHRMA National: 7/10/2016.......Field of Dreams, Millville, NJ......... (date released first)
AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days/Mid-Ohio: July 8, 9, and 10 2016 (AMA most likely has to coordinate around Mid-Ohio's summer schedule of other events.)

Such a shame....

[/QUOT
NQ not like any of us would be going to NJ anyway.most people that will attend NJ wouldn't be going to mid Ohio anyway.

Yup Mark Hatten

You will get all the 1962 BSA's and 1964 Cz's at NJMP, that's for sure.

The rest of us including the 1982 KAWASAKI's that YOU don't like will be at MID-OHIO having more fun than you can imagine....

Its time to figure out if you are a leader or a not.... the evidence says NOT
Mike how can u say ahrma is not a leader,they run the only National Vintage Series in the country!

J
I think Mark's response is pretty reasonable. You CAN choose to race in NJ that weekend...

Personally, I thought the AMA had good VMX/PVMX class structure when they had a series, but they gave up on it this year. If the AMA doesn't sanction and promote a real series, then I feel no obligation to support them. VMD is a good event, but it seems the AMA prioritizes predatory scheduling of the event rather than support of the VMX/PVMX community by purposely creating division. I am the first person to say AHRMA is not perfect, but it is improving and they offer something the AMA does not, a true National Series. AHRMA has scheduled 16+ national races all around the country for 2016 and has regional racing in support of the nationals.

The timing of VMD as a National Championship V/PVMX race seems all wrong to me. It could be cool as a Fall event. What if the best of all the regional series racers could go to a championship race like LL or the Minis Os for vintage at...? Qualifiers could be designated from the best vintage events of their respective regions (all the good clubs, not just AHRMA). The AMA could be inclusive and co-sanction events like Diamond Dons, Unadilla, one of the big races on the west coast, etc. Then have a one race, "vintage championship of america" later in the year that actually means something. Maybe award an MXdN team USA style jersey to the champions. Just a thought...
as on it would be great if we could have a "vintage championship of america" but will never happen.MI has a great vin in d14 but those guys won't show up for ahrma or the AMA national series in the past,same thing in Mo, FL, @ Ca from my experiences ?

The Michigan vintage series has 14 races in a season. Most of the guys have a hard enough time keeping their bikes together for those.

Looks like another AHRMA Regional race on the schedule

9/17-18 Amherst Meadowlarks, Amherst, OH

WOW, could be an epic year for Vintage MX in Ohio

Back