Football More Dangerous?? Or the same as MX?

I would go with its more dangerous due to constant impacts every play. Those guys hit the ground harder every play than I want to hit the ground once in a race season.

I would go with its more dangerous due to constant impacts every play. Those guys hit the ground harder every play than I want to hit the ground once in a race season.
I would agree, more hits in a game vs. in some cases a whole year of racing. Depends, some of us only get drilled into the ground 2 or 3 times every 40 years or so.

I can recall times where we would hit so hard that my colors changed. We had royal blue pants, and they looked aquamarine or like Miami Dolphin colors. I don't remember too many concussions per say, but I did get my bell rung a few times, and I had trouble with stingers in my arms and hands. I can still get stingers in my right hand if I slap a door or table......But I couldn't be a pussy, just had to play through it.

I can recall times where we would hit so hard that my colors changed. We had royal blue pants, and they looked aquamarine or like Miami Dolphin colors. I don't remember too many concussions per say, but I did get my bell rung a few times, and I had trouble with stingers in my arms and hands. I can still get stingers in my right hand if I slap a door or table......But I couldn't be a pussy, just had to play through it.

Well that explains a lot!

I played for 13 years. Suffered 5 "diagnosed" concussions and multiple others that you simply "play through". It's a violent game. I love it, but if I'm ever lucky enough to have kids I would have to think long and hard about whether I would want them playing. The speed and impact just keep getting higher and higher. Similar to our sport.

I crashed once this year. And we know how that panned out. Bad.

Oddly, I managed to not crash hard at all this year. I should just shut up as I plan to ride a few times yet.

So George, how's the rehab going? Ready to check out ice in a few weeks?

Wait a minute, experts looking at safety about football and its ok??? Knox posts about it and gets crucified for wanting to make it safer? He is told its just part of the sport....

The hypocrisy around here has no bounds.

Thy're looking at equipment and letting kids play to soon after concussions.....they arent blaming the fields they play on.....which they could. Playing in sand would be safer for speed and collisions.....BUT THEY DO NOT....amazing the difference in perspective!

Bahaha.....

A flat field doesnt offer anything to change to make it safer. MX tracks CAN be made safer and still fun and challenging. Honestly, your telling me you have never raced a track that was sketchy and you werent comfortable riding on? IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE .... I am NOT calling out any track or saying there is one that needs changed!!!!! I am simply saying track design is a factor in safety. And we all know the fights about equipment in MX.

And isnt injury just part of football? Just play and shut up or go home if you dont like it!!! Lol

Dont get your panties in a wad.

There is a ton of research happening about concussions in racing. Not really on the Amateur level which isn't right but either way. What some initial testing is showing, where football has consistent head impacts, they generally aren't at the impact level of consistent with racing Supercross or a Professional Road racer. A racer has more of peaks and valleys. Racers generally don't have consistent head impacts, but when they do, it's at a high level of whatever the units of measurement are. Research hasn't shown that future CTE and Dementia is from one, two, three bad concussions like a racer would take or from that consistent head impact from football. I think more information will come out at some point soon. Don't bank much on what I'm saying, I get a lot of the second hand discussions on these topics when they relate to Professional racing.

Right now we are working on getting the Impact testing available to amateur athletes (it's available to everyone but you have to pay, working on a member benefit). It's a way to track yourself to see if you are concussed. Great tool for a parent to use or a participant that is concerned.

I feel the first step to getting this issues resolved, is recognizing there is a problem. Football has done that and there is a trickle down effect to other sports that might not have same level of concern. At least everyone is better educated.

Bahaha.....

A flat field doesnt offer anything to change to make it safer. MX tracks CAN be made safer and still fun and challenging. Honestly, your telling me you have never raced a track that was sketchy and you werent comfortable riding on? IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE .... I am NOT calling out any track or saying there is one that needs changed!!!!! I am simply saying track design is a factor in safety. And we all know the fights about equipment in MX.

And isnt injury just part of football? Just play and shut up or go home if you dont like it!!! Lol

Dont get your panties in a wad.

Isnt injury just a part of Mx? Same thing right? Perhaps the new turf fields are faster?? I have no idea i didnt play on those. I know the old astroturf fields were faster, because you played in tennis shoes versus cleats, and they were soild like concrete.

Thy're looking at equipment and letting kids play to soon after concussions.....they arent blaming the fields they play on.....which they could. Playing in sand would be safer for speed and collisions.....BUT THEY DO NOT....amazing the difference in perspective!
Back in the day the field goal post was on the goal line (like it still is in Canada) That change was done to help reduce the number of field goal attempts because teams would just kick it instead of going for a TD. The added benefit was improved safety. Dare I say "win, win"? Letting people race after a concussion is something that needs looked at. I personally had 3 concussions from racing. The only thing preventing me from racing the next day (or next moto) was my parents. Which I am grateful that they kept me back.
I had an idea a while back that could help identify POTENTIAL head injuries. If anyone has experience with shipping "sensitive" products, then you may have seen this. They make a small sticker that has a liquid filled "pill" in the middle. Inside that pill is another capsule which contains a dye. If the sticker is hit with any force then the capsule will break causing the pill to change color. They even make these things with various levels of strength required to break the capsule. I would think something like that could easily be added to a helmet. If during a moto you fall and hit your bean with any force, it would be very easy for someone (even a track official) to inspect the sticker as you come off the track. If they see a color then the rider must be cleared by the medial staff at the track. (a concussion protocol like the NFL likes to call it)
PLUS, those things are very cheap. Like a buck or two.
Here is a link.
http://www.labelmaster.com/shop/shipping/damage-indicators/shockwatch/

I would agree, more hits in a game vs. in some cases a whole year of racing. Depends, some of us only get drilled into the ground 2 or 3 times every 40 years or so.
Unlike Mike Alessi and Trey carnard lol. They Get drilled at least 1 or 2 times a year and they either get back up and ride or they get hurt and are out for the season. Just have some kind of curse or something.

I would say the hits in football (High school) every play are "typically" not as bad as the occasional hit to the head in motocross.

I dont know what is worse? more hits with less force or a few blunt bashes to the head.

I would say the hits in football (High school) every play are "typically" not as bad as the occasional hit to the head in motocross.

I dont know what is worse? more hits with less force or a few blunt bashes to the head.

I think that's typically true. Just like in riding, I can sort of remember 8-10 damn good ones in both football and riding, these hits were above average (like the color change thing). But you are right on a typical play, its not bad. Put on an old junk helmet, walk up to an object you dislike and head butt it, but not hard enough to make yourself dizzy. Just hard enough to know you Hit it pretty good. That's how it was when I played. Same thing with riding, most of the crashes I never slammed my head hard, but then were the handful where the visit to ER was needed......yikes. Now I never went to the ER for anything football related, ever.

There is a ton of research happening about concussions in racing. Not really on the Amateur level which isn't right but either way. What some initial testing is showing, where football has consistent head impacts, they generally aren't at the impact level of consistent with racing Supercross or a Professional Road racer. A racer has more of peaks and valleys. Racers generally don't have consistent head impacts, but when they do, it's at a high level of whatever the units of measurement are. Research hasn't shown that future CTE and Dementia is from one, two, three bad concussions like a racer would take or from that consistent head impact from football. I think more information will come out at some point soon. Don't bank much on what I'm saying, I get a lot of the second hand discussions on these topics when they relate to Professional racing.

Right now we are working on getting the Impact testing available to amateur athletes (it's available to everyone but you have to pay, working on a member benefit). It's a way to track yourself to see if you are concussed. Great tool for a parent to use or a participant that is concerned.

I feel the first step to getting this issues resolved, is recognizing there is a problem. Football has done that and there is a trickle down effect to other sports that might not have same level of concern. At least everyone is better educated.

I agree with you Alex's on the importance of taking the Impact test. My son had a concussion this year and he had previously taken the impact test. The doctors were able to use the baseline test to see how severe the concussion was and how the rehab was going. Here's a link on exactly what the test is:
http://www.upmc.com/services/sports...aseline-concussion-testing/pages/default.aspx

Back