Football More Dangerous?? Or the same as MX?

There is a lot of concussion talk around ice hockey too. All of the coaches must be trained and take a course to evaluate a player that has had a blow to the head and get the possible signs of concussion and remove him from the game if there are any signs of one. They must also then see a doctor and get a medical clearance to rejoin the team for practice with no contact, practice with light contact, and then resume full contact playing. They also moved the age of that ice hockey players begin to check each other from 11 to 13 years old stating that younger kids are more susceptible to long term damage and repeated concussions in the 11 - 12 year old range than the 13-14 year old range where they now allow the start of full contact checking.

I've seen the effects of concussions on people and how bad they can be, a former college teammate had to retire from professional ice hockey due to a concussion, and still suffers the effects 16 years later. He had to step down from his college coaching job this season because his brain can't handle that much activity in a day that coaching a college team requires. His story is very sad as he was a gifted hockey player who was on the verge of making it into the NHL and lucrative career as a professional sports player when he got his career ending concussion. Follow this link if you want to see this sad concussion story:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/12/04/the-coach-and-the-concussion-that-wont-go-away.html

If there is a way to make things safer, people should be looking into it because it's a real problem to have concussions.

Hepler had to retire.....he was bringing light to the situation, I remember a press conference and then it kinda just fell apart havent heard much since then a few years ago?

Being heavily involved in Football and our conference, we discuss concussions all the time. I personally believe that having kids playing full contact football in 1st grade is way too soon. But now days, in competitive football that's when they start. When I was young, we did not start football until 5th grade.

I know some high school football coaches that don't even allow their own kids to start playing until 9th grade because of the impacts.

My son suffered from 2 concussions this year.... first time he was out for a week... the second time he was out for 3 weeks... not sure he is playing football next year...

boxing was in the 90s. Now it is Football as number one and cycling(Road cycling, track cycling, and mountain biking) at number 2. There are more brain injuries in the football world over boxing due to the fact that one football team has around 50 players where boxing is one on one. the ratio is higher the more people involved

What about boxing ?
boxing was in the 90s. Now it is Football as number one and cycling(Road cycling, track cycling, and mountain biking) at number 2. There are more brain injuries in the football world over boxing due to the fact that one football team has around 50 players where boxing is one on one. the ratio is higher the more people involved
What about UFC ? Those guys take some hard blows to the head.

My supervisor at UPS was fairly intelligent guy. He was a fighter. Cauliflower ear and his fists were rock hard, but so was his face. He looked like a damn neanderthal....nicest person you'd ever meet though. you wouldn't think he'd get in a ring and beat the hell out of someone, because he was non confrontational. Kinda like a Hershey, get you all fired up and then walk away.

Back