AMA Changes Minimum Ages in Amateur MX

Aren't yz 250s actually 249cc ? There may be some lawyery about to happen. By lawyery I mean loose interpretation ?

We added a example to the rulebook to clear any confusion on the interpretation... we reference the model motorcycle.

NEW RULE:
The minimum age for amateur riders is 12. In motocross events, a rider must be 14 or older to ride a 250cc 4-stroke/2-stroke motorcycle. In motocross events, a rider must be 16 or older to ride a 450cc or above motorcycle.

Example: A racer who is 13 years old on the day of the event is not permitted to compete on 250cc model motorcycle. A racer that is 15 years old on the day of the event is not permitted to compete on a 450cc model motorcycle.

Still, if the actual displacement of the machine is 249 cc then technically it could be ridden by a 11 year old.

Still, if the actual displa cement of the machine is 249 cc then technically it could be ridden by a 11 year old.
What the heck kind of cement is that?.....I know a few things about some materials....never heard of it....is it European? Stick to the colorful wires electric maker.

This rule does go into effect January, 2017. All technical rules are pushed out to give members the opportunity to get ready.

We had all the OEMs in the room discussing this issue at AMA Congress. 100% of the OEMs supported this rule change. All of the OEMs what to develop athletes coming off mini-bikes on 125s before getting to the 250Fs and eventually the 450Fs. Which is surprising since only a few manufacture a 125, for now. As for the 350, there was a ton of discussion about where that bike fits. All of the OEMs (including KTM) consider the 350 a failed experiment. I'm not sure I feel that way and I'm not going to drink the cool-aid. The reason we drew the line at the 450F was simply, the 350 using a 250F bottom end with a larger overbore cylinder, it's essentially a overbore 250F.

Again since the rule doesn't go into effect until 2017, this year AMA Congress can clarify the rule on the issues that come up. As for the 249cc issue, we purposely put a clarification in the rulebook to address any confusion.

Since coming to the AMA 3 years ago, this is the coolest thing I've been apart of and I'm stoked I had a role in getting this done.

This rule does go into effect January, 2017. All technical rules are pushed out to give members the opportunity to get ready.

We had all the OEMs in the room discussing this issue at AMA Congress. 100% of the OEMs supported this rule change. All of the OEMs what to develop athletes coming off mini-bikes on 125s before getting to the 250Fs and eventually the 450Fs. Which is surprising since only a few manufacture a 125, for now. As for the 350, there was a ton of discussion about where that bike fits. All of the OEMs (including KTM) consider the 350 a failed experiment. I'm not sure I feel that way and I'm not going to drink the cool-aid. The reason we drew the line at the 450F was simply, the 350 using a 250F bottom end with a larger overbore cylinder, it's essentially a overbore 250F.

Again since the rule doesn't go into effect until 2017, this year AMA Congress can clarify the rule on the issues that come up. As for the 249cc issue, we purposely put a clarification in the rulebook to address any confusion.

Since coming to the AMA 3 years ago, this is the coolest thing I've been apart of and I'm stoked I had a role in getting this done.

All kidding aside, so at this point is everyone treating the 350 like it belongs in the 450 class for this rule (in terms of age; 16+)? That would make the most sense, because that is where it ran on race day.

As for the 249cc issue, we purposely put a clarification in the rulebook to address any confusion.

I believe this is a FANTASTIC rule, there are people out there complaining that it isnt safe for their kid to be on a slower bike though. I dont get it. Anyway, I believe you need to clarify the displacement. 12 years old minimum race age but 14 on a 250 and 16 on a 450. Those bikes are 249 cc and 449 cc usually. That means technically a 12 yo could ride a 249cc bike and a 14 yo could ride a 449 cc bike. A better clarification might be something like.... 12 year olds up to 126cc , 14 year olds up to 251cc and 16 year olds unlimited cc. Maybe Im over analyzing but you know how people like to bend the rules.

Again, fantastic rule!!

I agree, it needs to be clear and black and white. Cause if a kid sneaks in under bogus circumstances. (like she used to be a boy) or confusion then gets hurt, it will be everyone's fault but their own.

Back