AMA Changes Minimum Ages in Amateur MX

Again, we added a clarification to the rulebook to clear any confusion. The clarification references the model of the motorcycle.

Jeremy, you bring up a good point. We talked about this at congress. Do we want to set a age to ride a 450 or set a age to race the 450 class? Coming out of congress, the decision was to limit the age to ride a 450. The reason being a lot of kids riding a 250F, ride the 450 or Open class as a second or third class.

So then what is the rule for the 350? is it a modified 250? ( like you are leading us to believe)
14 or 16, which one?

Put the age limit on the "class" not the bike? (450 class, 16 and up.)

I am going to put my name on the waiting list for a 17' RM 125 now!!
This is a big step for the present dirt bike riding crowd and the new arrivals to the sport! The price of entry just got slightly lower and the price just to keep up with the guy next doors kid just got a lot more even! Good job AMA!! Fully supporting this change

So then what is the rule for the 350? is it a modified 250? ( like you are leading us to believe)
14 or 16, which one?

Put the age limit on the "class" not the bike? (450 class, 16 and up.)

What if a kid only has a 250f and wants to race 450 class? Have at it...

I would rather not line up next to a fourteen year old. I'm sure after the gate drop I would not see him again, cuz he's out front of me.

What if a kid only has a 250f and wants to race 450 class? Have at it...

Alex just stated above the decision was to put the age limit on the bike and not the class for that reason. A lot of people ride a 250 in the 450 class since that rule was changed a few years back.

All kidding aside, so at this point is everyone treating the 350 like it belongs in the 450 class for this rule (in terms of age; 16+)? That would make the most sense, because that is where it ran on race day.

The way I am reading it they are treating it like a 250 , saying it shares the same bottom end as the 250 making it essentially a big bore. I am with you, to me it makes the most sense to treat it like a 450. I own both a 250 and a 350 ,and can tell you the 350 is a lot closer to the 450 in terms of performance. But a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Again, we added a clarification to the rulebook to clear any confusion. The clarification references the model of the motorcycle.

The rule says:

The minimum age for amateur riders is 12. In motocross events, a rider must be 14 or older to ride a 250cc 4-stroke/2-stroke motorcycle. In motocross events, a rider must be 16 or older to ride a 450cc or above motorcycle.

That isnt clarifying anything IMO. It says 250cc 4 stroke or 2 stroke motorcycle. It does not say Suzuki 250F ... ect. In other areas of the rule book, say 50cc machines, it clearly states 51cc is the limit. Taking into consideration the AMA has stated exact CC's allowed in the rules prior, a clear argument can be made to say a 2016 YZ250 2 stroke is 249cc and therefore a 12 year old child could ride it in the 250 class.

Im not arguing, I understand the rule's intent. I am being the devils advocate. You know as well as I do some parent out there WILL try this eventually. I mean after all, they let a man that still had his testicles race the womens class all the way to LL.

I don't disagree with the discussion with the 350. We have large amount of data on age, injuries, vs. bike sizes. I can't share that data. The line was drawn because of that data. We can talk horsepower, weight, mental side, but these type of rules have to based from data. Sometimes even common sense has to backed with quality data. We simply don't have much data yet on the 350.

Keep in mind.. this rule change is about development and not safety. We want a easier transition from a 85cc/Supermini to a 125cc to a 250F or 350F then eventually a 450F when they are 16. I know this doesn't fix everything.. but you have to stop the bleeding then slowly pull the reins in the direction we need to go.

As for the horsepower argument. The 350 does not produce more horsepower then a 450. But it's not relevant because there's about 30 people in the world that ride a 450F to it's potential. That's why the 350 was created as a option.

Hershey... Here's what's in the rulebook: (Notice the example for clarification)

Section: 1.1; Paragraph: A. 6 (For 2017)
    1. The minimum age for amateur riders is 12. In motocross events, a rider must be 14 or older to ride a 250cc 4-stroke/2-stroke motorcycle. In motocross events, a rider must be 16 or older to ride a 450cc or above motorcycle. See ATV section 1.4 for ATV age limitations. The age of the rider is determined as of the date of the event, except in youth competition.
Example for clarification: A racer who is 13 years old on the day of the event is not permitted to compete on 250cc model motorcycle. A racer that is 15 years old on the day of the event is not permitted to compete on a 450cc model motorcycle.

Hershey, to slow it down for you......If the stickers on the bike say 250 or 450 when you buy it, that's what size bike it is!! The AMA should call it the sticker rule.

As for the horsepower argument. The 350 does not produce more horsepower then a 450. But it's not relevant because there's about 30 people in the world that ride a 450F to it's potential. That's why the 350 was created as a option.

Where's the data on that?

from MXA:

HOW DOES THE 2016 KTM 350SXF RUN ON THE DYNO?

A: It romps on the dyno. How else can you describe a 350cc engine that produces 54.41 horsepower

from MOTOUSA:

2016_450_Shootout-Dyno-Group-HP.jpg

Example for clarification: A racer who is 13 years old on the day of the event is not permitted to compete on 250cc model motorcycle. A racer that is 15 years old on the day of the event is not permitted to compete on a 450cc model motorcycle.

My bad, I missed the word "model" when I read it last time.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Where's the data on that?

from MXA:

HOW DOES THE 2016 KTM 350SXF RUN ON THE DYNO?

A: It romps on the dyno. How else can you describe a 350cc engine that produces 54.41 horsepower

from MOTOUSA:

2016_450_Shootout-Dyno-Group-HP.jpg
I'm pushing around 60hp on my 08 CRF450r

I wonder what the horsepower #'s are of the factory bikes when they are running outdoors in a high traction environment and they can use the as much as the bike will give those top riders in the world that can handle it. I have no idea, but I bet Dungey, Roczen, Villopoto, Barcia, etc can handle probably up to 70 horsepower in an environment where traction is plentiful. That would be interesting to know.

I wonder what the horsepower #'s are of the factory bikes when they are running outdoors in a high traction environment and they can use the as much as the bike will give those top riders in the world that can handle it. I have no idea, but I bet Dungey, Roczen, Villopoto, Barcia, etc can handle probably up to 70 horsepower in an environment where traction is plentiful. That would be interesting to know.

Barcia actually had his bike mellowed out. Read the MXA test on his bike.

Cool numbers, KX is 53 at about 8400 rpm.
KTM 350 is full HP at over 12k. total different power bands.

Back