Cincy Arenacross (amateur day)

Ya no kidding. Thats gonna be a cluster duck. Im just gonna leave my stuff in the van and take it out when needed. That arena has PLENTY of room to pit 1000 riders they just need someone who knows how to organize all the junk in that place!

yep. The Over the Rhine Wheelie Boys will be staking the place out for sure. I had to laugh last year. The place is packed as hell, people everywhere along the halls and all. Guy right up from us has a couple bikes. They haul in a table to put a tool chest that was the size you might have in your garage on......They bring in plenty of chairs. They brought in a pit board. They had a cooler. They had their gear bags. But what topped it all off..........Was the free standing tire changer and the two extra rear tires they carried in!

It is arenacross boys! Bring your gear bag in to change, a bike, a stand and a chair if you need it. Put a couple screw drivers and a few wrenches you might need and a plug in your gear back. Anything else, run out to that trailer when you need it. I laughed my ass off all day, every single time I looked at that tire changer and the two tires sitting next to it (yeah, they never did change a tire).

And to all the guys that leave their gas cans right outside the back door......Fill that bike up, and I will personally guarantee you that you will not need to put any more gas in your bike. Even if your running three classes!

image.jpg
CTMX's first rig on site. They're still trucking dirt in. Tents will help tremendously compared to last years chaos.

Weekend up date from the Cincinnati Arenacross. First off thanks to Greg Huduk and Greg Cameron for the tickets to Fridays event. They went to good use. Also thanks to Bill480 for sending his tickets to fellow Vet rider Matt Powers. Much appreciated.

Racing on Saturday night was ok. Nothing special. I guess I just cant seem to get into Arenacross that much. Seems more and more gimmicky every year. Dianna Dahlgren is now the reporter for FS1 at the arenacrosses for TV. She is Smoking hot and looks great. If it is the road to Supercross.......how come some of the top riders are previous SX riders that have had some success?

Amateur Day on Sunday. Day started early Figured I would get there at 6:30am, we were already signed up and checked in. Got there hoping to get a spot inside, before they started using the overflow tents. No such luck. NO bikes inside, except the left overs from Saturday night (pro, supermini, 50s). Those tents were in no way big enough for the 567 entries that they had. So people basically lined their bikes up against the wall outside. It was covered, but still outside and cold.

Security in the place is a joke. You don't have to be rude to do your job (not everyone, but a couple). They also opened up a bunch of doors up top to let fumes out. By mid afternoon, it was very cold in the arena. I did not think the fumes were all that bad.

I believe that the Amateur day is really about money and nothing else. They tamed the track down, which was fine. Ran practice, went into qualifiers and then the LCQs. NEVER once to touch the track in all that time. There were some pretty good ruts on the table top face, but worse than that, coming out of the first turn, and two big places on the start straight, they were through the dirt and on the bare concrete. This was still during the heats. I figured they would stop, and move a little dirt to cover them. No such luck. Only time they touched the track was before the mains.

Drew Wolfe and action sports honestly could teach these guys how to run and efficient race, and touch up the track once and a while to keep it good.

Great seeing Pitracer member Dano and his wife there. Schaffernocker rode by (saw it on his number plate) when I was warming up my sons bike. Wish I had caught him to say hello.

We had a great time! We enjoyed Friday night, Jack really liked Friday's racing for some reason. It was good but I wanted to go watch the Bungals blow it again! Amateur day ran very smooth I thought. I went in with an open mind knowing it would be a long, cool day. It was cold at the end but it is January. Overall very organized on their end, very fast paced (this caught the unorganized riders that missed races and caused disorganization). The boy liked the track, there was a little rut to the concrete that could have been fixed. Overall we enjoyed our first and I appreciate all the tips going into it.

It was cold after they opened the doors for ventilation. We moved to an end section and it was much warmer.

John good to see you. Matthew rode well. He is a big, strong 12 year old and looked a bit cramped on his 85. He will make a good transition to a 125.

I thought they would do a bit of track maintenance for the bare concrete spots and a couple of really deep ruts leading up to the main jump. I saw a couple of 50 riders get stuck in those ruts. Overall it looked like the track held up well.

We had a handful of riders down there. Everyone had a good time. Staging did not improve much over last year, although Dan (a recognized OMA track staging official) done the best with what was handed to him to work with. They just needed more room. On the flip side, our partnering Custom Power Sports race team brought home 17 top 10 finishes, 14 were top 5, and 10 were top 3.

The race was so much more organized, had better parking and pitting in Dayton at the Nutter Center. And I honesty believe that there were just as many fans in Dayton as they get in Cincinnati.

I agree with you totally John, but I think the folks at Feld Motorsports have a different outlook when it comes to scheduling locations. They look for the venue package deals with AX, Monster Truck and Circus events.

Back