Riding with contacts or glasses

ive had lasiks and wound up in glasses within a year..had cataract surgery on 1 eye...(got smacked with a wood chip while running weed eater, looked bloody evil for about a month) now i just wear contact in other eye...riding with contacts is not a problem.. having a pair of glasses smashed on your face when you do the sky dirt sky dirt thing always concerned me..

Contacts from the minute I wake up till the minute before I get in bed. Since I was like 9..

I'm -7.50 and -8.00. Blind as hell. Early on I had some problems with them drying out while riding, but the advances in contacts are like everything else in today's world. I make it clear to my eye Dr that I ride and my eyes are subject to debris and wind. I forget what I'm wearing now but they've been great. I'm just extra picky about goggle fitment and cleanliness. Usually have no problems. Unless I get chunked in the eye by a rock or something..

^^^^ Same here. Contacts all day. The only time I get bothered is when there dry and or I get a little dirt bouncing in my goggles. My son wears glasses and I will tell you its not easy to get them in his helmet. We recently got him the Chris Sabo glasses which helped a lot.

DHDS01,

Here is another option for u if u don't want LASIK. I sleep with hard contacts at night. It's called corneal molding. The contacts reshape ur Cornia at night. U take them out when u get up and don't have to wear anything during the day. I've been using them for 12 years. Call me if u have any questions.

I've worn glasses since 1976. Tried contacts every now and then, but they seem to float or sometimes have other occasional issues that I don't get with glasses. I've used Scott 87 goggles since they came out with them in the 80's. I simply put no fog on the glasses and on the inside of the of the goggles. Not really a problem except in cold or damp weather. I use roll-offs and tear offs in the mud. I can see good either way, but the contacts, and I have new ones, just seem to be a pain compared to the glasses. I know I'm a minority as they aren't as stylish though, don't see any pros wearing glasses, and I'm still gonna wear contacts on occasion. My son wears glasses too. About three years ago Iron Pony had a sale on Scott Orange 87 goggles for $5 each. I bought ten of them and gave a couple away and still got a couple.

im jealous of you guys able to wear the contacts without issues. i wonder why mine are such a problem when i ride? i do have the kind that stay in for a month at a time..id still take them out to clean every now and then.

any of you doing that have astigmatism and have the weighted contacts? (toric lenses) maybe thats why mine are so picky, because they dont line up right? maybe im moving my eyes around a lot when i ride (or not enough?) idk.

Contacts with solution in the truck. I tried glasses for a while, but always ended up with sweat bouncing around inside and blocking my vision.

im jealous of you guys able to wear the contacts without issues. i wonder why mine are such a problem when i ride? i do have the kind that stay in for a month at a time..id still take them out to clean every now and then.

any of you doing that have astigmatism and have the weighted contacts? (toric lenses) maybe thats why mine are so picky, because they dont line up right? maybe im moving my eyes around a lot when i ride (or not enough?) idk.

thats what i wore.. (toric lenses) back when i wore contacts

only issue i had was crazy irritation after an hour or two

get lasik

Clear Choice Custom Lasik Center 7001 South Edgerton Road, Suite D, Brecksville, OH. Paid ~$2500 for custom bladeless lasik.

Read about PRK tho.. nobody told me about that until after my flaps were cut and there's no going back. Recovery time is around a month for PRK iirc. Lasik is a matter of hours.

My eye doctor claims that flap dislocation is very rare and he knows that I ride/wakeboard/whatever and reassured me that the risk was low but it can happen.

I'm -7.50 and -8.00. Blind as hell.

I can relate.
According to the DMV, without my glass's or contacts I'm legally blind and not allowed to drive. Been in contacts over 25 years now.
A co-worker and I were joking once about our vision handicaps, and that without my glass's I couldn't read the license plate on the car parked in front of me.... He replied: "What Car"? hee hee!.....

But the contacts do become an issue by the end of the day of racing if I do a lot of moto's or two sessions in a Grand Prix.

I have astigmatism and wear normal contacts. I take mine out every night. Think they're two week disposables that I stretch about 2 months. I live in cement and lime dust at work. I can wear these 12-14hrs and not have a problem. When I had torid lenses it was misery. My eyes were constantly bloodshot and I could feel the lens when I blinked. Every time I go to doctor now I have to explain why I'm not wearin the proper lens though. Acuvue advance with hydro clear is what I run.

Clear Choice Custom Lasik Center 7001 South Edgerton Road, Suite D, Brecksville, OH. Paid ~$2500 for custom bladeless lasik.

Read about PRK tho.. nobody told me about that until after my flaps were cut and there's no going back. Recovery time is around a month for PRK iirc. Lasik is a matter of hours.

My eye doctor claims that flap dislocation is very rare and he knows that I ride/wakeboard/whatever and reassured me that the risk was low but it can happen.

Buy malpractice insurance policy before you get it done. I'm sure they are out there.

I have astigmatism and wear normal contacts. I take mine out every night. Think they're two week disposables that I stretch about 2 months. I live in cement and lime dust at work. I can wear these 12-14hrs and not have a problem. When I had torid lenses it was misery. My eyes were constantly bloodshot and I could feel the lens when I blinked. Every time I go to doctor now I have to explain why I'm not wearin the proper lens though. Acuvue advance with hydro clear is what I run.

interesting idea!!! all this talk of riding w/ contacts is making me question if i want to spend 3k on lasik or keep trying contacts

Dude.. Your rich.. After 21 years of contacts, if I could afford corrective action, I would in a heart beat. I don't have too many issues, but I still hateeee contacts. Hell, the amount of money I'll spend on contacts the rest of my life I'll have paid for a few surgeries.

lol i wish.. but anyhow thats kind of how i look at it.. at $300 + for contacts a year, in 10 years my lasik was paid for anyhow.

also..care credit.they will finance anyone w/ that stuff..0% for like a year too.. if you want it just go do it. theyll make it happen!

Back