Riding with contacts or glasses

lol i wish.. but anyhow thats kind of how i look at it.. at $300 + for contacts a year, in 10 years my lasik was paid for anyhow.

also..care credit.they will finance anyone w/ that stuff..0% for like a year too.. if you want it just go do it. theyll make it happen!
0% for 18 months when i got it done.. plus you can haggle a little bit with the sales lady

I was told that 20-25 years the Lasik can wear off, and your eyes go back to crap, anyone heard this?
Actually, that's probably over stated. I had mine done and after about 10 years my vision has changed a little but I still don't require glasses so, all in all, its held up pretty well. I would do it all over again. What does drive me nuts though is that, I started to lose my close up vision when I got into my forties and it is progressively getting worse, I have to wear cheaters.

im jealous of you guys able to wear the contacts without issues. i wonder why mine are such a problem when i ride? i do have the kind that stay in for a month at a time..id still take them out to clean every now and then.

any of you doing that have astigmatism and have the weighted contacts? (toric lenses) maybe thats why mine are so picky, because they dont line up right? maybe im moving my eyes around a lot when i ride (or not enough?) idk.
I wear a toric lens in my left eye. No issues. Only issue I have is I cant wear mono vision lens because I need the toric. So now my near vision is getting bad for reading. the eye doctor said I am probably going to just need some cheaters over my contacts for reading.

I was told that 20-25 years the Lasik can wear off, and your eyes go back to crap, anyone heard this?

Lasik doesn't wear off.. your eyes age.

Most of the companies I researched offer free 'tune ups' for life as long as you keep up with yearly eye doc checkups.

However the trade off for near sighted people (like myself) is that along with the eye aging I will probably need readers when I am 40-50 whereas if I never got lasik, I would never need readers.

However the trade off for near sighted people (like myself) is that along with the eye aging I will probably need readers when I am 40-50 whereas if I never got lasik, I would never need readers.

It's not a trade-off of Lasik. It's everyone's reality...Lasik or not. Eye doc told me the lens get more rigid or something with age so around 40 or so, EVERYONE will notice that the close-up, within a foot or so will not be able to focus due to eye muscles not having the gusto to focus the lens. I bought a pair of the so called cheaters (a.k.a. Reading Glasses), but have actually used them once. However, I am noticing that the distance in which I need to back thing off my face for them to come into focus is increasing. :( I may need to buy a selfie-stick or something so I can hold things out far enough for them to come into focus soon... ;)

It's not a trade-off of Lasik. It's everyone's reality...Lasik or not. Eye doc told me the lens get more rigid or something with age so around 40 or so, EVERYONE will notice that the close-up, within a foot or so will not be able to focus due to eye muscles not having the gusto to focus the lens. I bought a pair of the so called cheaters (a.k.a. Reading Glasses), but have actually used them once. However, I am noticing that the distance in which I need to back thing off my face for them to come into focus is increasing. :( I may need to buy a selfie-stick or something so I can hold things out far enough for them to come into focus soon... ;)

Not what my optometrist & lasik people told me. I didn't make that post up :confused:

I did the Lasik deal about 6 years ago. (Lasik Plus) I'm in my 40's now and my only complaint is... Why did I wait so long!

I wore contacts for about 20 years. I longed for the day I would not have the hassle of breaking glasses, loosing contacts, the frustration of having to deal with them every day or so. I'm sure you can imagine how nice it is to wake up and not have to deal with any and all of the concerns that come with glasses or contacts.

I raced in both glasses and contacts at different times. I preferred the contacts but they were not without incident. Often times I would pull off the track when the race was over and ask my brother to find my contact inside of my goggles. He knew how bad my vision was and the first couple times it happened he asked how I finished the race... my answer, close one eye and twist it!

I think the major reason I waited is this, we are talking about my eyes. What happens if they screw them up? That scared me, a lot. I waited long enough that I felt like they had it figured out and went for it. I think anybody who has dealt with the frustrations of poor vision would be elated by the miracle that is Lasik.

Did lasik when I was 26, loved it for 8 years. Past year noticed trouble seeing, now I have glasses and contacts again. What they dont tell you on the free touch ups is not all people can have eyes done again, depends on thickness of your eye. I could but was told that i would most likely need reading glasses afterwords. (A lot sooner for reading glasses than if I don't have lasik)
Contacts for riding over glasses for me. If you're having issues with contacts try a different brand or style.

As it is right now, the only time I need to use the reader/cheaters is when I have my contact lens's in. And on my glass's I really should have bifocal's.

The issue of losing the close up focus is an age issue. And it does affect almost everybody as they enter their 40's. The way our doctor put it to us is that your eye's are not fully ripened until that age. And with that being said, that is also a good time to consider Lasik.

Johns right... Getting old sucks! (as if vision were the only problems with getting old.... hah! )

Back