Loretta Lynn's Experience Costs

I have been considering making a run at Lorettas but being that I have been relatively out of the racing seen for awhile, I was curious about a general overall cost.

This would include bike maintenance, travel, entries, gear, 1 Qualifier, 1 Regional, week at Lorettas and any additional costs that may have forgotten. Obviously this price could have a broad range but just trying to gain a general idea from those who have recently attended for budget purposes.

1. you need an AMA card- $50.
2. it depends on what tracks you want to race for qualifiers, you will most likely have to buy a district card for those races- $40 (that's for 2 districts)
3. At area qualifiers you will pay the gate fee around $20, Mxsports fee $10, Race fee $20.
4. Transponders are used, $130 cash... they refund you $100 at the end of the race.

Regionals
1. gate fee around $30
2. Mxsports fee $50
3. Race fee $40
4. Tansponder fee $130 cash, $100 refunded when returned

Nationals
1. gate fee is like $400 for the whole week
2. Im not sure on the MXsports fee
3. Race fee $75 per class
4. The transponder fee.

I would say a little over $1,000 in just race fees.

You will not need a district card at the Ohio AQs, just a heads up.....BUT the classes are generally $40 a pop.

$3-5,000 is a good range to use for complete cost depending on how far you travel for the 3 races. That's also a little bit broad because "bike maintenance" is something you would be doing anyway, same with gear. But if you add up all your MX expenses and attribute them to LL then it's likely in that range....more toward the 5k end of the range.

I think when it was all said and done for me it was somewhere near 6k (doesn’t include the new bike) and I think we went cheap with my wife and 2 kids.

I am lucky where I get a lot of stuff for free or really cheap so that 6k would be a lot more. I hit 2 areas and 2 regionals, don't just do 1 you never know what will happen. We stayed at a cabin 25 minutes away from the LL’s which was a chunk of that of course if you have a RV/camper that could be cheaper or more. I thought I was well prepared as far as parts. In practice I wrecked and destroyed my throttle housing and cables. I put a new clutch in before I left Ohio and had to put a new one in before my third moto. I purchased all that at a slight discount at the track.

Oh I forgot my father in-law had a golf cart so that’s an expense I didn’t have to pay.

I didn’t ride much in 13 and hadn’t raced in 2 years or so and went to LL’s in 14.

Here’s my tips:

Race as much as possible

Ride as much as possible

Race bigger races ( I only did smaller races and I rode like s**t at LL’s)

If you’re not in shape now you have a tough road ahead of you .

If you can afford to do it and your fast enough to make it the cost is definitely worth it. I had a ton of fun and we really didn’t partake in

everything that they offer. A few of us went down to watch in 15 and had way more adult fun.

You know the old saying... If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it!

For conversation purposes I will take a stab at it. This is what I consider to be close to as inexpensive as you could do it:
$3,000 Cheap bike and repairs to make it race worthy.
$250 This is for fuel, assuming you haul yourself to the tracks in a small truck or similar only and the truck is already accounted for.
$600 For one class entry and daily food expense.
$500 For the most basic bike needs and wants to keep it alive for 2 qualifiers and 3 motos in TN.
I didn't account for any gear and if by gear you mean the necessities like Helmet, boots, and such, well pick your poison. Free hand me downs or a $800 6D helmet, you could blow the budget just on gear.

When I look at those numbers, I think there is no way I could do it for that and we race, usually a lot. Under $5,000 deff. seems cheap.

My numbers are more like this:
$10,000 Bike and parts for the year (That's for one bike and we race more than one)
$1,500 for fuel
$2,000 again this is for one rider and a below average number of races class entry and food expense.
$1,000 For most basic needs and wants to keep the bike alive on a below average number of races.

The multiplier to add each bike is about 1.5, so for me it's about $20,000

I really need to stop racing!

Last edited:
It isn't the fact that I can't afford it but more if I (family) am willing to spend "X" amount on a hobby.

I was guessing around 5k doing it as cheaply as possible utilizing my vintage 07 450! Also I wouldn't be completely starting from scratch in regards to gear and bike maintenance but more so needing to update normal wear items.

I think I need to just get over my misfortunes that kept me from making it when I was a kid!

Last edited:
$3-5,000 is a good range to use for complete cost depending on how far you travel for the 3 races. That's also a little bit broad because "bike maintenance" is something you would be doing anyway, same with gear. But if you add up all your MX expenses and attribute them to LL then it's likely in that range....more toward the 5k end of the range.

This is whAt I was gonna post. If you book now you can go to sandals for $6000 for 5 days, 12 months from now. Qualifiers are payment in full a year ahead of time. And they don't even hold races down there. Not a bad moto vacation.

My suggestion, go hit some big races that don't add all the expenses. But then again, my son and I are not fast enough to make LL, so I would never waste my money. We are doing Daytona again (a great race) and looking to do Mini Os in November since we have to be in Sarasota for a wedding the weekend before it this year. There are also many other great races that are big that don't have all the added expenses.

The whole Loretta Lynn's thing is more of a bucket list/goal since I didn't make it as a kid. I guess it could be looked as a "last hurrah" before completely hanging up the racing boots. I guess in all reality I may not be even be fast enough to make it...nothing like putting the cart before the horse!

What is the old saying, If you have to ask its too much?? Lol
NO, never ever add it up!

Here. Lets say you run one class........Lets say oh....you spin 50 laps with practice.

4000 equals $80.00 a lap! ha ha.....you get a regional and AQ, but it is fun to make the numbers look radical. So add another 25 laps.

$53.33 cents a lap.

Let's say you ride Briarcliff practices 15 times before Loretta's to save some money vs racing out of state ...that's another 500 laps at $1.33 per lap, combined with the DD figures, that takes your average down to 7.61 per lap, the only way LL is affordable to ride the Cliff......a lot!

Let's say you ride Briarcliff practices 15 times before Loretta's to save some money vs racing out of state ...that's another 500 laps at $1.33 per lap, combined with the DD figures, that takes your average down to 7.61 per lap, the only way LL is affordable to ride the Cliff......a lot!
Slim chance that you're open 15 times before LLs.

Back