Loretta Lynn's Experience Costs

this could go on for years guys, I think it comes down to the rider. I've raced big races and always chocked at qualifiers. Lorettas was all I ever wanted and I couldn't figure out how to get out of my head at regionals. I got a lot of seat time in before the season even started and spent more time in the gym then any of the meat heads. I've been visiting Tennessee a lot lately..... I love that state!!! But I'm hoping to stop down there for a couple of days, take some pictures! I may have never qualified but if I get to opportunity just to go, IM GOING!

In 2013 I tried for Loretta's in 14-24. Spent $1,000 just for regionals. I thought I was prepared, in the gym once before work and after work 7 days a week, dieting, riding every night (I was getting faster) but they had regionals at baja that year and I never rode sand once in my life except for Indian mound, which was more clay/sand based dirt. I went up there and got smoked! So my advice is to practice on more than just dirt, bc I think baja has the qualifier again this year, and if so, you need a soft compound tire (mx32) and a sand/mud tire (mx11) anything is possess long as you really want it

Get fast in sand. There's tons of it everywhere.

As rocket robin says. You're racing the same guys today as you did when you were a kid.

This is true. When I lined up 25+ at high point regional I felt like I was racing supermini in 2001. Everyone I rememeber was there with their dads still. And they were still blistering fast.

That and the Ohio battle series is such a competitive local series in my opinion. You can get some serious satisfaction running those. Figure $300-400 for the whole weekend. But you're getting a competitive experience for $1200 total.....

First, I appreciate all of the insight regarding costs. I guess I had a pretty good idea of what it was going to cost but for some reason hoped that I was over-estimating.

With that being said and taking a couple days to fully evaluate why I'm actually so interested in qualifying, I believe riding recreationally with an occasional local series race is a better decision; at least until my son grows old enough to potentially partake. With not having the full amount of time to devote or tracks nearby, along with the consideration of spending nearly 10k for a bib and self satisfaction is hard to personally justify.

I can understand wanting to go to LL for the experience...some... it is a unique experience and for sure exciting the first time. BUT what I don't get is the guys that chase two or three different regions year after year just to possible make it in as a third alternate. If you do not or can not win or get top 3 at best, in your region, why do guys want to spend all that cash to go down and spend a week in the middle of hot as hell Tennessee just to get 33rd? Let alone if you have been there before? Yeap, it is a bucket list race, but you get more bang for your buck at the Mini O's, or other races like that.
If you go to Bob's MX track in BFE, Ohio and get fourth in the 25+ C born on a Thursday class. Save your money and skip even going to the qualifiers. Maybe just enjoy racing around home. Or get fat and tell everyone else how fast you use to be. (my preferable route)

But, if you go. As soon as you get there, walk up to the first guy in a striped ref shirt and kick his ass. Then they will respect you.

Too bad we couldn't have sunny and 75 for winter in order to get more seat time on the outdoor tracks.

Chris, it is like a pot of good CK1 chilly. You don't have to eat the whole pot to enjoy a bowl! (foodie logic)

I never get out of the regional, I don't take the chances. but the regional is awesome.

Local racing has sucked for years. The difference is, we know if we go to 3 regionals we get to race 3 fiercely competitive races.

Now I can skip that long drive, and run the Ohio 3 race battle series within 5 hours tops of my house. Chikitown 4 hours. Malvern 2 hours. Briarcliff 3 hours.

Average regional I've ever driven to was at minimum 5 hours and up to 12 hours away.

Then again there are people who can't find competition at the battle series. If that's the case start racing regionals and big amatuer nationals every chance you get.

Heck the majority of LOCAL races have both no competition and no riders. Who wants to race 3 people ? Not me. I don't really wanna race 8. I'd like to line up and know there's atleast 20-40 on the gate hungry for a holeshot. thats intensity.

And some people racing for 33rd at lorettas ck1 is the intensity they are personally looking for. Because the guys in 32 and 34 are probably breathing down their neck....

I'll try to keep track. I plan to try it on the tightest budget possible. Hell, if I make it, I'll probably have the same tires on it at Loretta's that's on it now. Fat chance, but I wanna go again for fun. I want my wife to witness it. I made it in 2000. I was 14. I'm now 30. Just cuz..

My AQs run me about $200 (+$50 for 2nd class.) I don't do the practice day and I get 1 night hotel. I treat it like a normal race cause that's all it is.

My estimated regional costs per regional for the past 3 years as an individual. A family trip definitely adds expense. I do not have a gas guzzling rig:
$250-$300 3 nights hotel(I don't mind motel6)
$75-$125 diesel
$25 practice
$50 Mx sports
$30 gate
$40 class
$30 transponder
$35 race fuel
$600 total being generous

I usually buddy up with my dad as well which cuts hotel and gas in half. And I always get a $50-$60 rear tire that I buy from the sale a vendor always has at the AQ.

Absolutely go for it. Atleast up until you see where you stand after regionals. Run 2 AQs minimum, and 2 regionals. Then get your refund if you make it at the first regional. The national is the big week long expense where decisions need to be made.

I haven't made it yet but always have a blast running this program every year. It can be done relatively cheap, or as expensive as you'd like to make it.

It's literally a double edged sword that could be discussed as much as "whos the fastest C rider in the early 2000s" was! I can see both sides completely but I think it just comes down to each individual's circumstances.

I personally would love to go to Lorettas in a Vet class and completely devote all of my time/energy/money on doing the best I possible could. That is not reality though and the thought of going "half ass" prepared to ride around and get top 30 doesn't much interest me. Being competitive like most of racers, if I'm racing, I'm racing for the win and not being fully prepared to do so does nothing but increase your chances for injury and dissatisfaction.

There's no shame in 30th at lorettas. Unless you totally just say screw it and puts around in 40 I wouldn't go. But you can watch an entire field down there and a few guys no matter what position...Are always racing. You can feel good that you got 30th and raced your brains out with another guy or three that wanted that spot for 10 laps.

I've only been a few times but I was always racing someone. No position is easy. The lap times from 1-25 are pretty damn close. And 25-40 are close as well. Look at results and they are all over the place for riders. 5-25-8 for example. 13-31-19....check the results sheets out! Guys are doing hard work to put up 31s...

Back