2016 Race Calendar - Where is the 2016 AMA Vintage schedule?

Dano762

PR Addict
I am putting together my hopeful 2016 race calendar.

There is a good selection of AHRMA races, both regional and the national series.

Besides the Mid-Ohio dates, are there any AMA Vintage/Post Vintage races planned/posted. I searched and haven't found anything.

Alex, there are others that have a similar situation to mine. I travel a lot for work and need to make my non-work plans as far in advance as possible to reserve dates. Are there races planned beyond Vintage Motorcycle Days?

DanO

I am putting together my hopeful 2016 race calendar.

There is a good selection of AHRMA races, both regional and the national series.

Besides the Mid-Ohio dates, are there any AMA Vintage/Post Vintage races planned/posted. I searched and haven't found anything.

Alex, there are others that have a similar situation to mine. I travel a lot for work and need to make my non-work plans as far in advance as possible to reserve dates. Are there races planned beyond Vintage Motorcycle Days?

DanO
Dan

I too having been waiting with baited breath for a smoke signal from Pickerington....

Here is what I do know, Monster Mountain plans to hold an AMA sanctioned vintage race on Memorial Day weekend but it has not been announced yet, Nikota in Bedford KY, announced a similar event for Labor Day weekend. After being informed that this was the same date as the AHRMA national at Delta they have been convinced (I think) to change the date to help ensue a better turnout. I believe they are waiting to hear back from Alex before they announce a new date.

Also Alex didn't release the 2015 schedule for the somewhat misnamed GRAND TOUR until the end of January.

This was the week last year when Alex released the GRAND TOUR concept and Vintage MX schedule. Has anybody heard anything about AMA Vintage MX, the last AMA magazine listed the complete schedules for all disciplines, except Vintage MX. The AMA Vintage National Facebook page appears abandoned, a number of people have posted questions regarding 2016 and not a single reply. Apart form the 2016 VMD date, the last post was July 17, 2015, regarding last years VMD.

Perhaps the guys that went to the AMA Championship awards banquet last weekend got some insight?

Has the AMA abandoned Vintage MX, with the exception of their CASH COW, Mid Ohio? Unless there is a master plan that will be announced soon, unfortunately I think we know the answer.

https://www.facebook.com/AMAVintageNationals/?fref=ts

Last edited:
Alex was always the one trying to keep it going beyond Vintage Days. I just read that he is now racing projects manager which covers all forms or racing so he probably can't push for it like in the past. The way it went last year didn't help much either so I have to think we may not see much more beyond MM and Mid-Ohio. We really need to support the efforts of the promoters in the Great Lakes series for AHRMA so it stays around and with the number of races they have I can hit I think I am good for 16.

Alex was always the one trying to keep it going beyond Vintage Days. I just read that he is now racing projects manager which covers all forms or racing so he probably can't push for it like in the past. The way it went last year didn't help much either so I have to think we may not see much more beyond MM and Mid-Ohio. We really need to support the efforts of the promoters in the Great Lakes series for AHRMA so it stays around and with the number of races they have I can hit I think I am good for 16.
Would be nice if Alex or someone from the AMA would at least give everybody an update.

Campcattail June 11-12, Vintage Cross country and MX on Sat. Modern bikes Harescramble Sunday. More info as I get it. Yes I know same weekend as Unadilla.

Campcattail June 11-12, Vintage Cross country and MX on Sat. Modern bikes Harescramble Sunday. More info as I get it. Yes I know same weekend as Unadilla.
Enjoyed it last year, but Unadilla is too good to miss, next year.

Speaking of the great lakes series, as long as I have Job (could be iffy) I plan on supporting this series this year. I sold my KTM350, my 89 YZ250 might be my primary bike for a while. what about having a vintage practice day at BC on the B track of course before the opener at Dirt country ?

Speaking of the great lakes series, as long as I have Job (could be iffy) I plan on supporting this series this year. I sold my KTM350, my 89 YZ250 might be my primary bike for a while. what about having a vintage practice day at BC on the B track of course before the opener at Dirt country ?
Evomx244 you might want to try rt62,I was there a few times last fall and was a good place to ride my maico,will go there every chance I get this year!

Scott if you head up to RT62 at any point, let me know and I'll head that way also as I don't live too far from there. I agree with Mike that it's old bike friendly. Heck, if you come all the way up here, you might as well stop by and check out my backyard track. Oh, I also plan on doing the AHRMA regional races this year so guess I need to get an AHRMA card.

RT 62 was actually open this past Sunday. Soft in some spots but overall in great shape for January in Ohio. I rode my NC KX125 and agree that it is a vintage friendly track.

I don't care where we do it, just as long as we can get a few guys to show up. RT 62 would work also

Scott if you head up to RT62 at any point, let me know and I'll head that way also as I don't live too far from there. I agree with Mike that it's old bike friendly. Heck, if you come all the way up here, you might as well stop by and check out my backyard track. Oh, I also plan on doing the AHRMA regional races this year so guess I need to get an AHRMA card.
Yes mooch you need an AHRMA card if you want to race vin mx somewhere other than a parking lot!

We need to plan a couple vintage group rides at 62 this year. Now that it's an AHRMA track.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

That's the main place I go to practice. Lonnie really did a great job addressing my one issue with the track - rocks! That was an issue in 14 but he bought more equipment to include a rock hound. That dirt really has improved. The reason it works so well for us is while he does have a few large jumps they aren't steep and peaky on both sides - every one has an option where you can still hit it and land comfortably and all are fun. Would also be a great track for someone newer to the sport.

I'm contemplating getting a vintage bike so I can support these places on Saturday..... You just may see me on a roached one at the first race to see if I like it. Got a bit of a time problem right now and I can not do a build. Of course I have a line on the candidate........

I'm sure all of us CL trollers know about the 74 YZ's up in Canton. I emailed that guy within 2 hours of them posting praying the moto gods were looking down on me and if the right number came back I would been in the car. This was about 2 weeks ago and it was $5K on silver and $4K on the yellow. I could tell he was the real deal, emailed me back in 15 minutes - his name is George. Those numbers for that bike are not crazy and I didn't even try to negotiate because child #2 heads to college in the fall and 16/17 is my one year of overlap having 2 at the same time. You always hope people don't know exactly what they have and we have all seen it happen-not so on these. Also - on the silver one he does have the original airbox, a 431 carb, and it has PVL ignition. I'm actually quite surprised they are still there.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/5391863674.html

Last edited:
A buddy and I went to look at those bikes on Tuesday . Turns out we knew George from back in the day . He was an A rider amongst the likes of Hicks , Carson , Hand , Andrews ( Joel ) , etc . . Won many overalls in MX and HS at Motosport Trails , Valleyview , OIR , Gran Prix and just about all the old tracks you can name . Always had Yamahas and was known for racing the white European models that he brought down from Canada . Ends up he and I had buddied around and had many " adventures " but we lost track of each other after I quit racing ( the first time ) in '82 and he in '86 . The bikes are exactly what he describes, no BSing , and he has been collecting for quite some time so knows what he has . Spent about three hours reminiscing , benchracing , and looking at old pictures from the " good old days " .

Not surprised at all. I knew I was sunk when I looked at the pictures and what was in his garage but you have to ask! Are they his actual races bikes from back in the day?

Back