Any Snow Boarders out there

BILL88L

PR Addict
I just got back from 2 day trip to Snowshoe with my daughters. Wasn't all open but we had a good time-best vertical in the East besides VT/NE and Cupp Run is like 1.25 miles. I have been a skier for 40+ years and have had over 10 years where I got over 50 days, lived in CO, CA, and ID for 10 years. I was a competitive mogul skier for 15 years and actually raced for Ohio State. My opinion within a 5 hour poke of Columbus or Cleveland - 1.Holiday Valley. 2.Snowshoe 3.Seven Springs. Peek N Peek is fun but Holiday is well worth the extra time and they have a high speed lift. If you are a bump skier you can't beat The Chute at HV either for the East. The Wall is fun for sure but most just go down it on their ass or sideways so it's either ice or spaced out bumps.

VT is good for sure but the weather can screw you and your trip - I totaled a car in Rutland once. For me I would just rather get on a plane to CO. It does help when one of your best friends owns a place at Winter Park you can stay at whenever you want.

BTW - anyone interested in 3 day passes to Snowshoe for $40 each? I was supposed to stay until today but my company decided to have a meeting in Chicago tomorrow so I decided to cut the trip short. PM if interested.

Reactions: TBO

jms158bmx

PR Member
Hit Boston mills and brandywine today. Meh, beats sitting on couch all day I guess. Wife and I taking two weeks in February driving to Colorado. Have zero plans just two snowboards n a Subaru. Gona try to hit up any resort that's decent on way out there. Then stay at brek for a week with family. Today was my first time on slopes in bout 8 years, and it was ugly. Not sure how I'm gona make it for two weeks on real hills.

BILL88L

PR Addict
JMS - if you want to save$$ stay away from Vail/Beaver Creek/Aspen. It sounds like your not looking for the crazy stuff so Copper, Keystone, and Breckenridge would be good fits. Dillon/Fraiser is near all of those and has reasonable hotels/options. Winter Park/Mary Jane would be good to but there are not a bunch of hotels.

Get on Ebay and Craigslist for tickets also wherever you go. Some grocery stores out there offer deals also.

Definitely check VRBO.com Vacation Rental By Owner and see if you can get a deal as it gets close.

If you have a pile of money disregard everything I just said. Enjoy either way!

jms158bmx

PR Member
Thanks for the suggestions Bill. We're doin the vrbo thing in Breckinridge. Holy crap it's still insane expensive! What's Dillon /Fraser? Any thing else cool to check out there in that area? My wife has the chance to transfer out there for work so I'm gona spend some time cruising around checking out real estate. I usually do 3-4 moto trips during the winter, but this one ski trip is costing me literally 4 times the amount. Sometimes you gotta let the old lady have her vacation every now and then.

BILL88L

PR Addict
Dillon and I meant FRISCO. Dillon is the town right off the freeway heading to Keystone/A-Basin. Frisco is the exit for Breck. Much more reasonable in terms of prices for just about everything. Fraser is actually down the road from Winter Park but not much there. You might want to keep checking VRBO and craigslist for rentals as you get closer - someone may cut you a deal. As far as things to do going on a sled trip is a great time - not cheap but worth it! Besides the slopes it is pretty much eating, drinking, and hot tubs. Denver has tons of stuff of course and you can see the Lakewood national track right off 470 near I-70. No matter what you do -do not plan on driving up to the ski areas from Denver on Saturday or Sunday morning-it will be bumper to bumper the whole way. One more thing if you like a few cold ones....do not buy beer at the grocery store - they still have 3.2. Go to a liquor store.

Last edited:

jms158bmx

PR Member
Dillon and I meant FRISCO. Dillon is the town right off the freeway heading to Keystone/A-Basin. Frisco is the exit for Breck. Much more reasonable in terms of prices for just about everything. Fraser is actually down the road from Winter Park but not much there. You might want to keep checking VRBO and craigslist for rentals as you get closer - someone may cut you a deal. As far as things to do going on a sled trip is a great time - not cheap but worth it! Besides the slopes it is pretty much eating, drinking, and hot tubs. Denver has tons of stuff of course and you can see the Lakewood national track right off 470 near I-70. No matter what you do -do not plan on driving up to the ski areas from Denver on Saturday or Sunday morning-it will be bumper to bumper the whole way. One more thing if you like a few cold ones....do not buy beer at the grocery store - they still have 3.2. Go to a liquor store.

Thanks again! Exactly the info I was looking for.

TeamX

PR Member
Just got the phone with a buddy I use to ride with, he doesn't ride anymore but we keep in touch.. He said he was going to Peek n Peak this weekend by himself, I told him No you not. I deffently an going along. FIRST timer & so pumped, looking forward to it!!!!