YZ250f or KX250f

john lilly

PR Addict
I am not trying to heist a thread but my son is going to be moving on to a 250 in the next couple months and I am leaning towards the Yami based on everything that I have read about them. In the shoot outs they are very close on all accounts but the Yami nudges out the Kawi and all the other bikes. I know the Honda's and Suzuki's handle well but that is about all that they say about them. The KTM's are nice but out of my league for up front cost and on the KTM mini's the parts were to expensive so, I am assuming that would be similar with the big bikes. So, if you have any input on the 250's please share, so that, I can make a good decision. Oh, one other thing the KX's are about $1500 to $2000 less than the Yamaha's.

Motodad23

PR Member
I bought my son a 2015 yamaha didn't like the idea of messing with the air forks. FCR did the suspension on it. Bike handles awesome. If you want I can pm you the number of the guy at Fcr we have been using for the last 3 years I won't use anyone else

C Hudak

PR Addict
image.jpg
2014 FC 250, electric start. Bike is really nice.
Would deffinately consider for a young spoiled kid.

john lilly

PR Addict
I bought my son a 2015 yamaha didn't like the idea of messing with the air forks. FCR did the suspension on it. Bike handles awesome. If you want I can pm you the number of the guy at Fcr we have been using for the last 3 years I won't use anyone else
I do appreciate the input and suggestion but Bob at Pro-Action has been doing our suspension work and I am very happy with him. You do bring up a good point that the Yami suspensions are saaaweeet, right Georgie!!!:D

Yamaha offers a better bike all around. The YZ250f suspension is so good stock I would ride it for a while before I ever thought about a revalve. The reliability is a big selling point also. Look around while your at the track. If it's muddy 50% of the Kawasaki's and Suzuki's will be laying on there side getting a quick clutch change between motos. I haven't put a clutch in a Yamaha since my 125 days.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
But regardless, yamaha for sure. Those bikes are so dialed there's a reason you see mostly blue in the 2fittyF classes.

The suspension stock on those things are pretty darn good, I had mine revalved and it is amazing. Probably the best handling bike I've ever had. They run so strong too and are pretty darn bullet proof. I've had several yamaha 250f's in the past (03, 05, 06) that all held up really good too.

If I was staying on 250fs I would never be selling mine, but getting old and racing old farts on 450s I needed a little more to get into the first corner a little quicker.

Wow, not one post for Kawasaki. Let me be the first. We have 3 kawi 250s and have had zero problems with any of them. While I do believe that the Yamaha is a great bike, its not for everybody. It was a little wide for us. Also have heard some people have problems with the power delivery but that's mostly rider preference I guess. Kawi is a great bike. Does everything good. The current kawi is the reason Yamaha and KTM had to step up their games. I think you'll be happy either way.

Mark414

PR Member
Both are good bikes, Just Traded my 2014 KX250F and it was a super nice bike, good motor, handled good but did not corner the best(used to Suzuki Turning). Do some shopping my local shop told me $7000.00 , I drove 3 hours and paid $5400 out the door and it was in the crate, I really would rather put it together than some of the clowns that are at some of the shops

MX724

PR Addict
Another for the Yamaha. Id only be repeating what all the others have said. However, I also initially thought it was wide in the tank. It has no effect on anything and you forget it after one wick of the throttle. Had plenty of Yamahas over the year. I feel its the best one to date.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
But regardless, yamaha for sure. Those bikes are so dialed there's a reason you see mostly blue in the 2fittyF classes.

The suspension stock on those things are pretty darn good, I had mine revalved and it is amazing. Probably the best handling bike I've ever had. They run so strong too and are pretty darn bullet proof. I've had several yamaha 250f's in the past (03, 05, 06) that all held up really good too.

If I was staying on 250fs I would never be selling mine, but getting old and racing old farts on 450s I needed a little more to get into the first corner a little quicker.

You dont "race" bhahaha.

Original44

PR Addict
My son loves his 2016 Yamaha YZ 250f. Dave Hand rode it and said it was awesome. He liked it so much that he got one for his youngest son David

John, the main reason that you see us on Yamaha's is because of our local dealer. That makes all the difference in the world.

John250

PR Founding Father
250F would be a no brainer to me to go Yamaha. I just don't think any of the others compare in performance or quality.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
My son loves his 2016 Yamaha YZ 250f. Dave Hand rode it and said it was awesome. He liked it so much that he got one for his youngest son David

John, the main reason that you see us on Yamaha's is because of our local dealer. That makes all the difference in the world.

North ridge is awesome. That's where I'm getting mine from.

@John250 all the colors are performance monsters and quality machines. There suspension just sucks.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
I dont think its fair to say "the suspension just sucks"

The suspension compared to 10 years ago is probably sooo much better and none of us on this board are riding these bikes to their potential. Any of the pros or even our local A riders could take bone stock bikes and go wayy faster on them than most of us can.. soo????

Pick your favorite color from a dealer you want to support and get help from, and twist the throttle and be happy. I don't think theress a "BAD" bike out there.

Romanyak256

PR Addict
I'd buy a ktm or Husqvarna... Parts aren't too much more than what they are for the jap bikes... But since you're wanting green or blue, I'm a die hard Yamaha rider, those are the only 4 strokes I've owned since 2005, besides a brief ownership of a 2013 kx250f, I got the bike on a brand new motor, blew up on me 8 hours later...