Bikes for sale without title

fluidpower

PR Member
I am amazed by this. Recent model bikes as well. How do people not have titles for something that expensive? Does it bother anybody else? You cannot insure them with out proof of ownership. I looked at pair of bikes, 1 practice and 1 race bike, same guy, a good GNCC rider, no titles for either bike. I have seen him ride the bikes for the last 2 seasons.

Blows me away.

I have not had to show a title to insure any of our bikes. As long as you have the VIN that's all the insurance agency wants. No sense in titling them if you don't have to because that's just free money for the state. If you sell the same bike ten times the state could theoretically collect the sales tax every time. Free money for them, BS for us.

I have a pile of titles if anyone needs one.

Some call me Double D and others have titled me many other things.

JRMINIQUAD, Maybe someone in the business can chime in with regards to insurance, but just having just a VIN # I would guess that the insurance company is assuming you actually can prove you own it in the event you want to file a claim. Case in point. My brother sold his bike that he bought new. Title in his name since it came from the dealership. Fast forward a year or so and he gets a call from the police wanting him to come down and get his bike as it was recovered. It got stolen from the guy who he sold it to. He explained that to the police. The police said, since it was in my brothers name, it was his bike. If he wanted it, he could come and get it. He had the contact info of the guy that bought it, but the police said the state thinks it is yours, not his. If you want it, come and get it. If not, it would go to auction. Plan and simple.

My point is this: Would you buy a bike without a title?

Last edited:
Your brother shoulda went and got it. The guy who bought it off your brother woulda eventually came around. Maybe even give you a reward for recovering.

Or just let the state continue to rob the robbed at auctions

All my bikes are titled now. It does make the claim process easier but isn't required. But the title really doesn't mean anything except another tax. And I'm surprised the cops called your brother and didn't just put a notice in the precinct bulletin board.

We have insurance on all are bikes, and no they all don't have titles.. Would I ever buy a bike with out a title, yes, as long as I looked into it , Hell anyone can run # vin and have it checked out now days. I had two bikes that we built to race from ground up, No title for them and had no problem selling the one eather. I know most people think No title, then must be stolen. Not always the case.

I have bikes with and without. A lot of people buy bikes out of state to avoid paying the sales tax, therefore you don't get the title.

You do NOT need a title for insurance, I have mine insured and have verified with several insurance companies that the title isnt needed.

IDK why people get so bent out of shape on this subject!

Lots of state park trail riders out there that need titles I guess

I like when people say "NO TITLE.. BUT I WILL WRITE A BILL OF SALE!" like that means something to anybody o_O

How do you file a claim w/o proof of ownership? I have titles for everything, while it sucks paying the tax, I fill in the amount paid. :) I guess my aversion to this is I tried to sell a bike a while ago and I had about 3-4 people who called, but didn't want it because I didn't have a title. Just sold my son's 65 and I had about 8 calls on it. Every single person asked about the title. Sounds like I am the only person that gives a crap in here....

Given the number of posts about bikes being ripped off, I guess the reaction I am getting regarding buying bikes without a title is different than I expected.........

Last edited:
We have insurance on all are bikes, and no they all don't have titles.. Would I ever buy a bike with out a title, yes, as long as I looked into it , Hell anyone can run # vin and have it checked out now days. I had two bikes that we built to race from ground up, No title for them and had no problem selling the one eather. I know most people think No title, then must be stolen. Not always the case.

Who do you call to run the VIN?

It is technically illegal to sell a bike in Ohio without having the title.

I had a guy trying to buy an RM 125 that I rebuilt off of me. He wanted me to come down on the price or he was going to "report me to the department of taxation for selling a bike with no title." Apparently he actually thought this would work. Even pressed me on it more after I told him to go right ahead and call them lol. I think he really thought that was going to work. I would assume attempting to buy a bike without a title is the same "offense" as selling one without.

I had a guy trying to buy an RM 125 that I rebuilt off of me. He wanted me to come down on the price or he was going to "report me to the department of taxation for selling a bike with no title." Apparently he actually thought this would work. Even pressed me on it more after I told him to go right ahead and call them lol. I think he really thought that was going to work. I would assume attempting to buy a bike without a title is the same "offense" as selling one without.

Wow unreal?!!! I had as many as 5 bikes at once. Some with titles some without. All insured and verified you don't need the title. The woman from progressive went as far to say I can insure any vehicle I want even if I don't own it. Thought that was odd. GEICO wouldn't insure anything under 100cc.

Thanks for the link. So what happens if it is registered? I am not sure what this does?

It means someone else is listed as the legal owner of the bike as far as the State of Ohio is concerned. Like stated in earlier posts, if ever stolen and recovered, the police would contact the person listed on the title and tell them to come get their bike.

I have a bike in this situation, an older bike. I went to the title bureau to get a title made and they said "sorry, it's already in someone else's name." Of course they cannot disclose the information, so I'm basically screwed. So now before I buy a bike I always get the VIN and run it through that search first.

Actually I always get the vin and google it anyway because it's amazing how many stupid people out there list bikes and have no idea what year it is. I've had some good arguements with dumb kids on the phone when I had to break the news that their bike is 3 years older than they thought....

Last edited:
Picking up a recovered bike isn't that simple either. I had to pay $80 towing fee before they would give it back to me. And I had to go to the towing company 30 miles away and pay in cash, wouldn't accept credit card or check... And no one got arrested. (in PA)

Back