Bikes for sale without title

It means someone else is listed as the legal owner of the bike as far as the State of Ohio is concerned. Like stated in earlier posts, if ever stolen and recovered, the police would contact the person listed on the title and tell them to come get their bike.

I have a bike in this situation, an older bike. I went to the title bureau to get a title made and they said "sorry, it's already in someone else's name." Of course they cannot disclose the information, so I'm basically screwed. So now before I buy a bike I always get the VIN and run it through that search first.

Actually I always get the vin and google it anyway because it's amazing how many stupid people out there list bikes and have no idea what year it is. I've had some good arguements with dumb kids on the phone when I had to break the news that their bike is 3 years older than they thought....

Gotcha, You saying you use this and NOT by a bike from someone if it shows up on this search. I understand.

I have an 85 insured with them right. They also gave me full coverage on it, so I guess if it gets tore up "just out riding in a field" I get get some money for that.

That's crazy. I have 2 65's and an 85. I had my cars, rv, and big bikes through GEICO. When I tried to insure my sons bikes they refused. Despite me telling them their not toys. I had to switch the bikes to progressive. How long have you had the 85 insured? And is the 85 a bike?

How do you file a claim w/o proof of ownership? I have titles for everything, while it sucks paying the tax, I fill in the amount paid. :) I guess my aversion to this is I tried to sell a bike a while ago and I had about 3-4 people who called, but didn't want it because I didn't have a title. Just sold my son's 65 and I had about 8 calls on it. Every single person asked about the title. Sounds like I am the only person that gives a crap in here....

Given the number of posts about bikes being ripped off, I guess the reaction I am getting regarding buying bikes without a title is different than I expected.........

Guys that ripped my dad off demanded titles. It's part of the hustle. They don't give a s**t they'll ask but won't care.

Guys that ripped my dad off demanded titles. It's part of the hustle. They don't give a s**t they'll ask but won't care.

What hustle? If you gave them clear titles and you took a check, they have legit bikes, can't be stolen if they have the titles. Which is my point exactly. Thanks Georgie!

Last edited:
Very good info on this thread. I also have bikes with and without titles,and have insurance on 3 of them. 2 bikes where bought out of state buy previous owner and never titled. I have the original certificate of origin from the dealer on one and the original bill of sale on the other. I just asked the original owner to right me a hand written receipt with there signature when I bought them. I was told the same thing about insurance on the dirt bike, you are insuring the vin no# they don't care who's name its in. The name of the policy holder is going to get the insurance money if the policy holder makes a claim.

Very good info on this thread. I also have bikes with and without titles,and have insurance on 3 of them. 2 bikes where bought out of state buy previous owner and never titled. I have the original certificate of origin from the dealer on one and the original bill of sale on the other. I just asked the original owner to right me a hand written receipt with there signature when I bought them. I was told the same thing about insurance on the dirt bike, you are insuring the vin no# they don't care who's name its in. The name of the policy holder is going to get the insurance money if the policy holder makes a claim.

Checked with my insurance guy and this seems to be the case. I was not aware that they would do that. With Jewelry they want an appraisal etc.

If you put aftermarket on keep the receipt. Insurance will pay dollar for dollar up to 5000.00 on aftermarket stuff. The bike is what it's worth at the time.

It seems a bigger deal than even ten years ago. I've bought and sold a lot of bikes without titles, and personally I really don't care if it does, as the only riding we do is on a track. As far as I know, it is required for Wayne National Forest trails for the plates, and I've heard there are Rangers checking that stuff. But we don't ride there. Other than that, the only other reason a title is needed is if the people buying the bike need to take out a loan, either to buy it, or as collateral for something else. If your taking out a loan to buy it, as a lot of people are these days because they're so expensive, then the bank wants the title. If the previous owner has it financed with another bank and is upside-down in the collateral, then he won't have enough money to pay it off and you won't get the title when you buy it.
To most people it matters, but to some it doesn't.

What hustle? If you gave them clear titles and you took a check, they have legit bikes, can't be stolen if they have the titles. Which is my point exactly. Thanks Georgie!

So passing a fraudulent certified bad bank check over the amount of $400 isn't considered Grand Theft? One had a title. One didn't.

My 08 250 paid out 6400 when it was stolen. Only because of my aftermarket receipts. Value of the bike they told me was 2400. Plus I had $4000 in accessory coverage. It covered my suspension and every aftermarket part. If I would of bought up to 5000 I would of got close to 7000 with all my receipts from my stolen 250. It had a title, but I never transferred it to me. THe state froze the title. And the insurance company was able to call the state get the freeze lifted. I transferred into my name. And then they paid out 30 days later after a huge headache where they actually called malvern and asked them if I wrecked the bike beyond repair. And asked me why there was pics of me racing the next weekend (my 125 at the time) that looked identical.

But they paid.

I wonder how much of a headache it really would be without any paperwork at all. Bill of sales are worthless without a notary I'd imagine.

Anyone ever file a claim on a bike they didn't have titled ?

Last edited:
Bikes without title blows you away.....I am sorry maybe things are changing just like this heads down generation but bill of sale has been the lay of the land since as far as I can remember even when I bought my 03 used I tried to get title transfered but no soap not on dirt bike.......I will also add that after 15 years of ownership of a jet ski bought new...it was all of a sudden required I get a title to get my new watercraft stickers..
.society is such a joke.....and then was required to take a training course to get a license.....like they are ganna teach me now after 15 years
.....ha I could teach them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Anyone ever file a claim on a bike they didn't have titled ?[/QUOTE]

I have always wondered that myself. I had state farm ins. at the time my 2001 cr250 was stolen. State farm payed me 4000. ( bike had 2hours on it) the first thing they wanted was the title or they would not have payed

So passing a fraudulent certified bad bank check over the amount of $400 isn't considered Grand Theft? One had a title. One didn't.

My 08 250 paid out 6400 when it was stolen. Only because of my aftermarket receipts. Value of the bike they told me was 2400. Plus I had $4000 in accessory coverage. It covered my suspension and every aftermarket part. If I would of bought up to 5000 I would of got close to 7000 with all my receipts from my stolen 250. It had a title, but I never transferred it to me. THe state froze the title. And the insurance company was able to call the state get the freeze lifted. I transferred into my name. And then they paid out 30 days later after a huge headache where they actually called malvern and asked them if I wrecked the bike beyond repair. And asked me why there was pics of me racing the next weekend (my 125 at the time) that looked identical.

But they paid.

I wonder how much of a headache it really would be without any paperwork at all. Bill of sales are worthless without a notary I'd imagine.

Anyone ever file a claim on a bike they didn't have titled ?

A notary just agrees the person signing the paper is the person signing the paper, period. It adds nothing legal or binding to what is signed.

I think you missed my point about the hustle. I understand that it sounds legit if they ask for a title. My point was they gave you a bad check (grand theft) and you gave them a title. I doubt they transferred it but had they, it would have made the bikes seem perfectly legit. That is all.

Anyway, Maybe the real question is would insurance PAY if you file a claim on something you can't prove ownership of. I have a feeling they would take your money no matter what, and come claim time, the burden of proof is on the person filing the claim. My guess is it says in the policy that in the event of claim, they have the right to see proof of ownership.

Along similar lines, I had a friend who had pipes bust in his finished basement. Homeowners insurance covered the damaged goods, but the insurance company sent a truck over and took everything in the basement that was claimed as ruined. Seems that this was perfectly acceptable given the fact that they paid him for his stuff.

Back