Motocross Tantrum of The Week

CHUEY352

Noob
Hey guys, This is my first post here! Some of you may know me and some not, I've been in the Ohio MX scene since about 2002 just never on here. Im getting back into moto after about 5 years of maybe riding 2-3 times a year and figured I would give this PR thing a go!

Anyway, this is a topic I'm very opinionated about and figured maybe id gather some other thoughts on it. I have grown up learning to respect the sport especially on the track.

I can remember running out of gas in a qualifying position at the bottom of the hill at the High Point LLQ. *the only time I had ever run out* I went back to the truck and my dad had noticed that I had thrown my my goggles on the ground. He wanted to kill me. I could only imagine what he would have done if I had ever thrown a tantrum like this kid. I can understand frustration when your in the moment but come on. leaving your bike on the track in the main race line?. I can remember Jacob Hayes' fit after he completely throw away the Arenacross title on his own mistakes. It just makes you look like a jackass. Anyone else feel the same?

Have you ever seen a kid on a Mini throw a tantrum and just want to shake him? or have you gotten to the point where even you have lost your cool and got a out of hand? lol

Here's the pic of the kid from daytona and looks to be the C-class. Link to the full story below!
s1200_030716tantrum.jpg

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-....com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=fb_like

And Jacob Hayes before he completely lost his mind in Las Vegas last year. The vid is on youtube
s780_GUYB0548.jpg

Last edited:
My Dad would have ripped my head off. I have had a chain break before and had to push my bike a long ways back to the truck. All while watching the oil drip out of my broken case. Not a fun time.

With that being said, I do think it is a shame that a 17 year old kid lost his cool and got blasted on the worlds biggest motocross forum by the forums moderator. Everyone has had those moments they are glad no one caught on camera. Unfortunately for this kid, there was a camera near by. Maybe that will stop him from ever doing this again though.

My question is why is he not finishing the race? Forget it, broken chain.

I would leave the bike there and go home, then he can buy his own bike and truck to get there.
I use motocross to teach my kid to be a better person , competitor, not to be a jerk.

Welcome aboard. A ton of information on this site about where to ride. The pit posse rides all over the country, mostly Florida to New York, this side o da Mississippi .

Last edited:
I have seen it. Drop the bike after the race and stomp back to the trailer. Some people call it passion to win. It is what it is, a tantrum. I don't know how it was delt with, none of my business.

I have also seen parents stomp back to the trailer and leave their kid on the track because his chain broke or he went down during the race.

Plain and simple, these are not the type of people we want our kids to associate with. We try to surround ourselfs with like minded people that are at the races to have fun, and there are plenty of us out there.

Welcome back to the scene Chuey. Really like it when noob's post.
Don't care if the kid throws a hissy fit, Don't care if he has good or bad parents. Don't care who picks the pick up or pushes it back. Don't care that he has mix and match gear.
Thing that bothers me is "C" rider on a professional Supercross track. (Yes, I know it was tamed down, but still.) I don't think they have a knot hole game in the stadium the day after the world series. Pretty sure they don't have a JV junior high game after the Superbowl. There is nothing sacred in our sport and that bothers me. What is wrong with leaving a race like Daytona as a major goal in a racers career? Work your ass off, get good and compete on the track as a pro. If you cant make it then you don't deserve it. I think EVERY national now has an amateur day. Even Unadilla lets anyone with a couple hundred dollars in their pocket race on a track that SHOULD be a career highlight just to earn a spot on the gate.
I will be using this thread to teach my own son a good lesson on sportsmanship.

When I was like 12 years old and raced BMX, I was working on my bike once and having problems. I got pissed and whipped a wrench in the air without looking.....seconds later I heard the smash as it went through the windshied on my Dad's car.

There was one time I had a tantrum at an MX race, it was at a Vet National at High Point when I had just turned 30. If I remember right I was leading and got arm pump and lost like 4 spots on the last lap......anyway I was fuming mad at myself, came back to the pits and stepped off my bike with the intention of it falling over. Of course it didn't and it kept on ghost-riding through the pits and eventually smashed into a fence. Wilmo21 went and picked it up and brought it back, I was super embarrassed.

Welcome back to the scene Chuey. Really like it when noob's post.
Don't care if the kid throws a hissy fit, Don't care if he has good or bad parents. Don't care who picks the pick up or pushes it back. Don't care that he has mix and match gear.
Thing that bothers me is "C" rider on a professional Supercross track. (Yes, I know it was tamed down, but still.) I don't think they have a knot hole game in the stadium the day after the world series. Pretty sure they don't have a JV junior high game after the Superbowl. There is nothing sacred in our sport and that bothers me. What is wrong with leaving a race like Daytona as a major goal in a racers career? Work your ass off, get good and compete on the track as a pro. If you cant make it then you don't deserve it. I think EVERY national now has an amateur day. Even Unadilla lets anyone with a couple hundred dollars in their pocket race on a track that SHOULD be a career highlight just to earn a spot on the gate.
I will be using this thread to teach my own son a good lesson on sportsmanship.

$$$$$$$$$

Haha, so I read the first page in Vitard. Bashing the poor kid is fine, I get it. One user came on and explained he knew the kid and he is a good kid who broke 2 chains in 2 days there and his emotions got the best of him. Understandable but he still gets bashed and Im cool with that. Another user gets on and asks what right Guyb had to post this and it wasnt right. Guyb deletes his user account. Funny s**t, just because you dont like on opinion on Vital you get booted.

He used the excuse that it was a safety issue and it should be known. Isnt that what yellow flags are for, is it any different than a crash?

Haha, so I read the first page in Vitard. Bashing the poor kid is fine, I get it. One user came on and explained he knew the kid and he is a good kid who broke 2 chains in 2 days there and his emotions got the best of him. Understandable but he still gets bashed and Im cool with that.

This was not meant to bash on the kid whatsoever. More for your guy's view and what you would have done. As for the yellow flags, I can see it being an issue (yes i know there is more than one flagger) but how would he be waving the flag while picking up the bike? I guess its the same as if the kid were to be injured and he had to do so anyway..

Last edited:
Chuey352, I remember that day. I walked down there with your dad (he carried the gas can) and investigated the situation. I also remember the goggle throwing incident and Big Tom's unhappiness with young Matt that day. Do you remember the following weekend at OIR when you and your dad came back from sign up and we (myself and Phil) duct taped a gas can to your back fender? Those were the good days...2007 was the year!

I had a similar incident with young Michael and a bike dropping / walking away moment. Happened at TV Land in a pitbike race. He was leading the race, fell, got back up and was catching the leader only to crash again from pushing to hard. Then he lays on the ground having a melt down. I go over and make sure he isn't hurt, he replies "no" he was just mad because he crashed and could not win now. So he start to walk away. I tell him, if your not hurt and this bike isn't broke, you will ride it to the end of the race or you will never ride again. He proceeds to get on the bike and finishes the last lap and half in first gear wide open. I taught him a lesson and felt he was teaching me one by riding in first gear and trying to break his bike. We had another man to man or man to child and this never happened again. I think Mike was 8 years old at the time. I was not happy about it then and I would not tolerate it today either but I look back now and it makes for a great story and life lesson. I remember one of the other fathers coming up to me after the incident and saying that my son had a little Mike Alessi moment right there!

When I was like 12 years old and raced BMX, I was working on my bike once and having problems. I got pissed and whipped a wrench in the air without looking.....seconds later I heard the smash as it went through the windshied on my Dad's car.

There was one time I had a tantrum at an MX race, it was at a Vet National at High Point when I had just turned 30. If I remember right I was leading and got arm pump and lost like 4 spots on the last lap......anyway I was fuming mad at myself, came back to the pits and stepped off my bike with the intention of it falling over. Of course it didn't and it kept on ghost-riding through the pits and eventually smashed into a fence. Wilmo21 went and picked it up and brought it back, I was super embarrassed.

GhostRiderTeaser.jpg

Chuey352, I remember that day. I walked down there with your dad (he carried the gas can) and investigated the situation. I also remember the goggle throwing incident and Big Tom's unhappiness with young Matt that day. Do you remember the following weekend at OIR when you and your dad came back from sign up and we (myself and Phil) duct taped a gas can to your back fender? Those were the good days...2007 was the year!

Man you got that right!!! Many memories and expeiences that year!!! That story about mike still has me rolling to this day

Can anyone say entitlement! Kids these days are spoiled rotten with no regard to how hard someone worked or sacrificed to get them to wherever they may be! I can say I never had one of these things called a melt down with my bike. I have bought and paid for every single one I have owned, I appreciated the hell out of the bike when it finished a race and was mad at myself for not taking better care of it when it did not!!

Okay, first off kids are absolutely spoiled in this sport. The first thing they do when they don't win or do as well as they hoped is to throw helmets or goggles that their parents bought them. It's horrible how these kids act these days.
I can't say I've never had a bad race and been pissed. Yelled, swore, threw my gloves (never a helmet). Its so easy for emotions to get the best of you.
On the other hand, have some damn respect for the things you have. I have seen kids get mad and leave their bikes in the middle of the track and walk off, leaving their parents to clean up the mess and push the bike back. This is motocross, if you do poorly due to your actions or choices, see them and a***s. Don't throw a f*****g tantrum and destroy the nice things you have bought or someone bought for you.
These kids all think they are going to be factory pros sitting in the pits next to dungey. Do you actually think a sponsor would hire some kid with a piss poor attitude to represent their company? It didn't work out for Lawrence too well. (Although I like jlaw). So kids, respect the nice things you have, some other kid wishes he had the life you live. Sometimes I wish I had that life again. Don't act like a bitch, deal with your mistakes and man up to accept them.
If anyone on here sees this as "mean" I'm not even sorry. My dad would have sold everything and never talked about moto again had I acted this way.
End rant.

Back