OMA's 125 class?

So big bores are allowed like last year? Jason mentioned earlier this year that they weren't sure about the 125 class, so that's why I asked.

The reasoning for the bore limits is to include the KTM in the class. I'm going off memory here from a few months ago. I believe the talk was that the KTM is actually less CC's than 150, but to avoid confusion for the large, large, very large majority of people (NOT YOU GUYS, lol), we decided to call a class up to 150 so that we don't get unneeded confusion about whether or not the KTM can be run in the class. That's my recollection. Plus we looked at the mini class structure and we felt if there was 1 more class for the supermini, those guys wouldn't be as tempted to try and run run down a class in mini sr. with a different set of wheels on a super mini. Just trying to give people options and re-grow the sport.

On the topic of the "true 125" class at other organizations. That's cool.

The reasoning for the bore limits is to include the KTM in the class. I'm going off memory here from a few months ago. I believe the talk was that the KTM is actually less CC's than 150, but to avoid confusion for the large, large, very large majority of people (NOT YOU GUYS, lol), we decided to call a class up to 150 so that we don't get unneeded confusion about whether or not the KTM can be run in the class. That's my recollection. Plus we looked at the mini class structure and we felt if there was 1 more class for the supermini, those guys wouldn't be as tempted to try and run run down a class in mini sr. with a different set of wheels on a super mini. Just trying to give people options and re-grow the sport.

On the topic of the "true 125" class at other organizations. That's cool.

That's cool. I have no problem with the OMA's rule. The only problem I have is I know a few of those big bores ended up racing in other organizations true 125 class last year. I was kind last year, not going to be so kind this year. ;)

Last edited:
The extra 19cc isn't going to make a slow rider win. Those 19cc are nice but really, who cares? For LL I get it but other than that ride.
Well crap! I just wasted my money, I was hoping the extra 19 would haul this 22fiver to a win.

I am ok with the 125 class being up to 150. What I do not care for is the OMA schoolboy class. You can run a 250F in schoolboy. If your going to do that, there should be schoolboy 1 and schoolboy 2. The schoolboy class should be for kids making the transition from 85s to big bikes. Similar to my son. With the new 2017 250F rule, it keeps my son from racing a 250F until 2018.

We need to promote these kids staying on 125s for a transition, and the AMA rule does that. But in the OMA, in 125, they race and age kids 10+ to adults. In the schoolboy class they have to race 250Fs and in C class or B class they are racing 250Fs. In my opinion, do away with the 2 stroke class 125-250 12+. and make a schoolboy 1 and 2. Then there is a true 125 class for these kids.

Schoolboy 1 and 2. That's two classes. And eliminates a possibility for a vet or someone older than 16 to race. Stupid.

Schoolboy 1 and 2. That's two classes. And eliminates a possibility for a vet or someone older than 16 to race. Stupid.

A vet or young adult have plenty of classes to choose from. C class, B Class, 16-24 collegeboy, 25+. 30+. 40+. 50+. If they ride a 250 2 stroke, they don't need a separate 2 stroke class. BUT.......A lot of kids, like mine, Lillys, etc have to jump to big bikes because of size. They are still only 12 years old though. The AMA is trying to keep kids on 125s longer for safety reasons. I am just saying the OMA or any other sanctioning body should be promoting kids staying on 125s longer also. So my suggestion is make the schoolboy class a true 125 class for these kids to bridge the gap from Mini Jr to big bike classes. Because there are kids like ours who have to skip Sr. and Supermini for size reasons.

Back