OMA's 125 class?

They don't have to jump. They can ride 125 2 stroke LOCALLY. we don't pull enough entrants to do what you wanna do. Unless you wanna quit botching about the cost of racing and just run the amatuer nationals. Race 3 qualifiers. 3 regionals and Texas and mini os and your class structure is there.

Original44, Thanks for bringng this subject up! I thought 125, was 125 also, and was looking to build a competitive 125 just for local racing. But, I can bump to a 144? Cheaper and easier to maintain? Does anybody have input on the reliability of bigger bore cylinders? Thx

Original44, Thanks for bringng this subject up! I thought 125, was 125 also, and was looking to build a competitive 125 just for local racing. But, I can bump to a 144? Cheaper and easier to maintain? Does anybody have input on the reliability of bigger bore cylinders? Thx

If you're looking for reliability stay with the stock bore

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

For a Yamaha the Athena kits work great, ask Georgie Porgie. If it's a KTM I think the cylinder for a 150 should work.

2016 KTM cylinders are interchangeable on the 125 and 150. Not on previous models.

I've heard great things about the Athena kit for the Yamaha. $750. I've been told to not touch a Eric Gorr kit with a 100 foot pole.

My Athena kit is treating me well.

It's not a bolt on kit. Need to grind out cases for piston clearance. If you get someone that knows what they're doing the bike will be reliable. If not the piston will explode. Also don't build a 144 without doing a new oem bottom end. Otherwise your rod will explode. The older bottom end is only used to the 125 not the new 144. Seen many pictures of blown rods with people who just bolt on a 144 to a 20-30 hours stock bottom end. That's a bad idea!

But even then I don't expect to get more than 20 hours out of a rebuild. But considering its $400 to rebuild a 2 stroke I'm ok with that. I'm at 13.2 now. But I also change my oil every two rides or 3 hours on the meter. Whichever comes first. I use klotz. It smells like candy. Lol. I even lube all my guns with that s**t. New air filters just as often or more....

Last edited:

It's not a bolt on kit. Need to grind out cases for piston clearance. If you get someone that knows what they're doing the bike will be reliable. If not the piston will explode. Also don't build a 144 without doing a new oem bottom end. Otherwise your rod will explode. The older bottom end is only used to the 125 not the new 144. Seen many pictures of blown rods with people who just bolt on a 144 to a 20-30 hours stock bottom end. That's a bad idea!

But even then I don't expect to get more than 20 hours out of a rebuild. But considering its $400 to rebuild a 2 stroke I'm ok with that. I'm at 13.2 now. But I also change my oil every two rides or 3 hours on the meter. Whichever comes first. I use klotz. It smells like candy. Lol. I even lube all my guns with that s**t. New air filters just as often or more....

Parma Dave is the man to do the cases. He did my sons supermini.

For a Yamaha the Athena kits work great, ask Georgie Porgie. If it's a KTM I think the cylinder for a 150 should work.
If you want reliability keep the stock bore!!! But if you want your child to be competitive, you better cheat!! Local track promoters know it's goin on, and they really don't care! They just want the money!! One a cheater, always a cheater!! And yes, 19cc is a huge difference Hershey!!! My kid had been cheated since he was on 50's!!! It'll never stop, unless people start protesting! Put he money down, and protest. Even if it costs a friendship! And kinda funny local promoters sell 125's with 144's in them . Obviously this is why they raised the cc limit! Locals promoters usually change rules to suit their kids/riders

Last edited:

I thought the oil in a 2 stroke is just for the clutch and tranny? The oil in the mix is what lubes the cylinder, rod and crank. Am I right or wrong?

Oh I use Yamalube 32:1, Klotz in the clutch......should of clarified that. My bad. But my clutch doesn't slip and it grabs hard. When I'm due to change that it'll be a wiseco for sure. But the OEM clutch works great! Of course I'm not hard on the clutch like I used to be at 15 yrs old.

You don't really have to feather on the 144, it's got enough grunt to roll the throttle on. I notice with my brothers 125 (Stock, truthfully) I have to feather more if I mess up in a corner. And it's more finicky with rolling on the throttle because it just seems to be falling on its face a little earlier in the throttle. Either way any yamaha runs the best wide open in my opinion. They don't like to go from slow to fast....fast. If that makes sense? But if you're high in the revs and carry a lot of momentum that is when the 144 really shines over the 125, otherwise you're wasting your money with a big bore. My brother has a pretty difficult time with my 144 in corners and does ok on his, but i'm working with him on that. He rides the stock bike alot better, but he's still got a lot of work to on fundamentals. He just needs more time on the bike.

I'm not a mechanic, I did say find one that can do it right. I can't. Maybe once I'm done with all this extraneous college I can get dustin at north ridge yamaha to teach me how to rebuild these things. Actually Parma dave would be more fun to learn from I think. That guys a genious. He's done work on my bikes right in front of me. He's very good. Motor, suspension...anything on a dirtbike he can fix.

Last edited:
Lemme make a list of known cheaters from my era:

James Stewart
Mike alessi
Josh lichtle
Mike alessi
Stroupe
ben Lamay was busted for flipping his shim stack upside down in his forks. To enhance performance. Stock part but rearrange in a different fashion. Cheating.

All these guys did things like that to keep the edge. Everyone in supermini ran 112cc. They had to change the rule because it got to the point they can't DQ them all.

There are more. Alessi loved to use a few different Varner motors back in his super mini days. Ranging from 112-118cc in a 105 class.

Back