OMA's 125 class?

Once again, I have know problem with the OMA's 125 class being a 150cc class. I do have a problem when they run other sanctioning bodies true 125 class and are still on big bores. Jeremy, I think you would agree with that, correct?
Then how about calling the class 150cc. 2 stroke. Keep 125 out of it!!! You take the same kid on a yz125, then he gets on a yz134, he will make faster lap times, and get a better start guaranteed!!! Especially an uphill start!! So these promoters need to get real!! Oma is a joke!!!!

Then how about calling the class 150cc. 2 stroke. Keep 125 out of it!!! You take the same kid on a yz125, then he gets on a yz134, he will make faster lap times, and get a better start guaranteed!!! Especially an uphill start!! So these promoters need to get real!! Oma is a joke!!!!
That's cool

Wow, not exactly sure the direction this is going. Hands down if a kid can't really ride a stock 125. A 134 ain't gonna help. OMA has a CC limit on there 125 class. AMA has a CC limit on their class. If you feel you're being cheated, put your money up and protest.

You guys are funny. I see people every weekend on 250f in the 450 class winning and beating plenty of 450. That's 200cc difference. They are voluntarily signing up at a disadvantage, and doing just fine. And people want to cry over 25cc. If you guys are so upset get out your check book and build a mod bike. 90% rider 10% bike.

Look guys lets keep this in perspective, this OMA "125" class was started because I felt locally there were quite a few 125's out there that racers of all ages and abilities were leaving at home because they didn't want to race them in the 2 stroke class against the 250 two strokes. I also understand the position that some have about allowing 250 4- strokes in the schoolboy class because that was the other thing I heard was the racers didn't want to compete on a 125 against 4strokes in the C & B classes. This is not a class for 12-16 year old kids to compete for a national title. It is a class with a broad range of racers with various abilities and ages to compete on similar bikes and have FUN on a local level. If that makes us a joke in someone's eyes, so be it.

I truly believe the 125 is an important bike. Not only for a young racer making the transition to big bikes but also for the beginner interested in racing but not interested or able to spend big money to see if they like it. Heck that scenario can even apply to an older racer who has been out of it for a while and is contiplating a return. With the changes the AMA has made and the direction they are trying to lead the young riders making that transition we will have to put some serious thought and discussion into the idea of not allowing 250f's in schoolboy for 2017. Thanks for listening, Jason Rogers

Awesome. That is all I was saying....For 2017 look at the schoolboy class. That's all we can ask is for you to consider it.

A couple things here: First of all I bought a 125 from the Rogers and it was a 125, bone stock bike. It had an OEM exhaust and my son crashed and put a hole in it so, I chose to put a FMF exhaust on it because it was cheaper than factory. But it wasn't a performance thing it was a financial thing. Then we had a couple issues with the engine so, I took a cylinder and sent it out to an engine builder because I thought that might take care of some of the issues we were having and had it bored to a 139. Well that lasted about 3 weeks and then she blew. My son also told me he really couldn't tell a difference in the 139 over the 125. So, we decided to go with an original OEM 125 cylinder, head and piston and it has been fine ever since. So, for those of you that want to do mod's, I would recommend sticking with what the Yamaha engineers designed.

To the guy that said, "OMA is a joke", could you elaborate on that topic a bit, I don't understand why you feel that way.

I know a lot of people only care about keeping classes as fair as humanly possible, meaning lets make a 125cc class with a maximum weight of 275 pounds combined rider bike weight, with a maximum of 12 psi in the tires, and your reed cage cannot have reeds with more than 60% of its orginal ridigity. Yes its a word, dont bother looking it up.
While, I understand your point and that you are making light of this conversation, there is truth in the weight to horsepower ratio. Yes my son is a bit on the heavy side but he is not obese and ever since we have been in this sport he has had to race against kids that are normal weight or in some case's twigs. For example, he is some where between 175/180 lbs, definitely over weight but how is it fair that he has to race the same horsepower motor as the kid next to him that weights 115lbs, honestly, its not fair. He is at a serious disadvantage. When he was on mini's, the bike and more specifically the suspension just wasn't made for his weight so, as usual we got pushed up to a bigger bike but he is still racing against kids and young men that weigh considerably less than him. I'm not complaining, I am just pointing out an obvious fact that most people probably never consider because one thing I have learned in life is if it doesn't affect someone directly then who gives a rats butt. So, when I hear that someone's bikes are mod'ed, I do believe it is a form of cheating but I still believe the rider is a much bigger factor than the bore. So, if we want a level playing field then lets add weight to everyones bikes until all the riders are riding the exact same weighted bike and rider combination, that is truly fair, but I gaurantee no one will be willing to step up to the plate and add an extra 30, 40 or 50 lbs to there kids bike, why not because that would be unfair to their kid. Btw don't talk to me about my son losing weight that is not the point of my post and he is working on it as we speak. I am just trying to say that while there are rules for the bore because of an unfair horsepower advantage isn't it also an unfair horsepower advantage when one rider is 50 lbs heavier than the kid lined up next to him. I'll answer that question.... Hells Ya!!!!! So let take this back to where it should be and that is, the better rider will usually win regardless of the cheating the rider is doing. BTW my son raced his 250f in the 450f class and even with the weight and horse power disadvantage he did better in that class than the others he competed in, which were 250 classes. So, while I know we have to have rules and they should be followed it isn't always as cut and dry as it seems to be, there are other circumstances that give some kids advantages over others. A quick one that comes to mind is how about the kid that has the latest, greatest bikes vs the kid that is on an older, ragged out bike and that is his only one, is that truly fair, probably not. How about the kid that gets to ride all the time or goes to training facilities vs the kid that can't afford it, again not a bore issue but definitely an unfair advantage. I could go on and on but there is way more to this racing thing than what the cheaters are doing at the end of the day it should be about fun, learning how to compete no matter what your up against and the friendships we are all making.

Last edited:
I have 2 boys, Aidy is a twig and loves the yz125, and when Michael weighed 175, he also loved that same yz125. There is definitely plenty of power in that bike for just about anybody! And if both boys raced each other on yz125s Id be very interested to see if their weight made any difference. Just different riding sty

I have 2 boys, Aidy is a twig and loves the yz125, and when Michael weighed 175, he also loved that same yz125. There is definitely plenty of power in that bike for just about anybody! And if both boys raced each other on yz125s Id be very interested to see if their weight made any difference. Just different riding sty
Your missing my point... if you people are going to say that a motor with more hp is cheating than a kid that weighs 50 lbs less is the exact same thing. It is a hp to weight ratio... simple mathematics/physics.

Savage what other sanctioning body has what you're looking for in regards to schoolboy and 125s? That isn't a joke ?

That's kinda what I meant earlier....sorta......I think if you are getting tenth place starts but finishing top three, then yes, you either need some ponies or a better reaction time. However, if I had to guess, I would wager that a lot of the racers aren't fully using up the 125's potential. Or perhaps it is a big kid, I get that too. But I think most parents should leave it alone as far as big bore. You will get more out of a properly ported cylinder, carb, pipe combo than the extra CCs. You can put the power where you need it with the right combo.

Savagedad69 are you really a "dad" or a jr high kid because your comments come across as pretty immature.

As I said previously, the class is perfectly fine as-is. And as John Lilly was saying, there definitely are more factors in it other than horsepower or cc's. Due to the rider size vs bike size I would venture to say my son can turn a faster lap on his super mini than his 144.

Haha fat? Don't get me started. I could be on a full mod 450 and some 150# dude on a 5 year old stocker could pull a holeshot on me..

This whole 125 deal, in the OMA was meant solely as a FUN class.. 125 style bikes, run'em.. If we're talking lorettas, build whats legal n ride it. The cheaters will get what's theirs in the end.

I think if my kid rides and she gets to a 125, I'm gonna put 144 stickers all over it. Then when we get protested and are found completely legal, I'll take that cash for rebuilds.. Lol

The 125 seems to be a well built, reliable, fun bike! Highly recommend it for any and everybody We are in the market for a 2014 or newer yz125 if anybody has one they would like to sell, please let me know!! Thx

I may be ol school.. Lemme throw a few names out there who didn't care what size your motor was and still won by large!!
Micky Marahall
Timmy Rager
Tyson Leggett
David Hill
Tom Kelly
Zach Ames
Zack Kaiser
s**t.. "Myself"
Where'd the die hard shred corners and scrub jump guys go to over the years? Pin it to win it fellas!!

I've had a few 125s in my day. I've never been small but the most love any of my yz125s got were a tooth in the rear, maybe a PC shorty (with a stock pipe), and maybe once a hinson basket and hub.

I rode 1 fully built pr2 bike of a friend's and it was sweet but I went just as fast on my yz's..

Back