Progress on the Old Barn and a new turn track

Dano762

PR Addict
Finally progress on the old barn. It is now structurally solid.

Brought in enough new dirt to stabilize the side that was slipping and put in a new gravel drive. Moved the wall in a foot and installed piers, replaced the deteriorating wall, and repaired the rafters.

A lumber mill in Indiana is cutting new poplar siding to side what is needed and build new doors. Should have it wrapped up by end of summer.

It only took me 10 years.

I have also cleared enough to start tomorrow on a turn track. A rental Bobcat with a bush hog attachment is an amazing tool. Now I need to rent a dozer to cut a path down to the river and I can make a sand section!

Barn 1.jpg
Barn 2.jpg.jpg
Barn 4.jpg
Barn 3.jpg

Brush Fire.JPG
Beach.jpg

That's cool, nice looking property, what area you live in? I want to buy a place near Mansfield. 10 to 20 acres.

It helps a lot having an electric service on sight. I feel your pain, it just takes so damn much time to do all that construction and building work. To do it right, it takes a lot of time.
Looks great DanO. It's such a shame that too often people will just tear down and put up metal buildings these days.

Thanks Mike.

Tearing down and putting up a new building was all I could find people willing to do.

The barn is 40x60. Not including demolition costs a new building would have been about 5 times more than I am spending. There are advantages to a new building but it was just too much money. Plus fixing won't raise my property taxes on the land, currently a whopping $45.00 per year.

The poplar siding from the mill is .90 cents a board foot and I figure I'll have less than $7K in this when I am done (spread over a dozen years) -It is just nice to have it solid so it won't fall down.

You are sure right about having electric onsite. It is one of the best $4 bucks a month I am spending.

Plowed tonight so the track is on its way. I'll disc in a few weeks and have a little track to practice turns on - and boy do I need the practice.

Back