CTMX Opinions

John250

PR Founding Father
Yeah, I know. No one needs to give opinions on CTMX, its all good. But I am going to say a few things.

I showed up at 7:45 Sunday, and still had plenty of awesome parking to choose from, never an issue at CTMX. Walk up to the transponder trailer, pay my money and right over to sign up. Large signs with, "Qualifying", "Membership", "pre-registration" and "registration".......Telling people exactly where to go for which. Walk up to registration, use the kiosk and I was out of there. All took less than 5 minutes.

Walking around, the improvements catch your eye for sure. Scoring tower, start moved to back side. Tons of new fencing etc. They obviously re-invested profits from last year into their facility to make it better for everyone. They even had fern plants on the tables at the registration trailer, and around the tongue of the trailer to spruce up the place a bit!

Vendors, lots of them. Tons of food options, Ohio motorsports for your parts needs, Amsoil, 4-H selling candy, the CMA passing out free water, etc. Best track food by far, with plenty of selection!

Guys driving around picking up trash all day long. My son was in the last moto, we cleaned bikes and all before we pulled out. I could not believe how clean the grounds looked after all day.

PA was great. Can hear it clear out in the pits. Rt. 62 last week, had a guy riding through the pits with a bullhorn to tell people they were starting the motos. Announcer was announcing local sponsors throughout the day too.

Program ran smooth. Started on time at 10:00am, and first set of motos and intermission was completed at 1:30 and back into the 2nd set.

Pit vehicles. Seemed to be few!! Not sure what they have done but there are way less, and no one cruising around. Great job changing it.

Track. Changes to the start are great for racing. Liked the first corner going into the rollers. While it was nice being able to see the start and the track in the old location, the new location makes for a much more efficient program. Next moto can start before the last few bikes are off the track. CTMX even had a sprinkler system put in the ground to water the gate area! You have all that water, would be awesome to have permanent sprinklers around the track!

I liked the layout of the track and the changes. Decent lap times, and not a slow track I love fast tracks. Track prep was great. Morning practice was not a muddy mess, and prep during day was good. Start was keep real nice.

The one thing I did not like.........yeah there had to be something. The 10 or so humps on the inside of all the corners. A few are ok, but I did not think that that many of them helped the racing. The straight next to the start became inside, inside, inside, and the humps get all dug out. I think racing in that section would be better without them. The step up in the middle seemed to be the spot to cause the most crashes. I know Griffen Maxwell and another guy both went to the hospital. I think it might have been the ruts on the face kicking them. Rest of the jumps were great.

CTMX doing all the little things has really set the bar high these days for every track in the country. Great job Jeremy and crew. Looking forward to the battle weekend.

Yeah, I know. No one needs to give opinions on CTMX, its all good. But I am going to say a few things.

I showed up at 7:45 Sunday, and still had plenty of awesome parking to choose from, never an issue at CTMX. Walk up to the transponder trailer, pay my money and right over to sign up. Large signs with, "Qualifying", "Membership", "pre-registration" and "registration".......Telling people exactly where to go for which. Walk up to registration, use the kiosk and I was out of there. All took less than 5 minutes.

Walking around, the improvements catch your eye for sure. Scoring tower, start moved to back side. Tons of new fencing etc. They obviously re-invested profits from last year into their facility to make it better for everyone. They even had fern plants on the tables at the registration trailer, and around the tongue of the trailer to spruce up the place a bit!

Vendors, lots of them. Tons of food options, Ohio motorsports for your parts needs, Amsoil, 4-H selling candy, the CMA passing out free water, etc. Best track food by far, with plenty of selection!

Guys driving around picking up trash all day long. My son was in the last moto, we cleaned bikes and all before we pulled out. I could not believe how clean the grounds looked after all day.

PA was great. Can hear it clear out in the pits. Rt. 62 last week, had a guy riding through the pits with a bullhorn to tell people they were starting the motos. Announcer was announcing local sponsors throughout the day too.

Program ran smooth. Started on time at 10:00am, and first set of motos and intermission was completed at 1:30 and back into the 2nd set.

Pit vehicles. Seemed to be few!! Not sure what they have done but there are way less, and no one cruising around. Great job changing it.

Track. Changes to the start are great for racing. Liked the first corner going into the rollers. While it was nice being able to see the start and the track in the old location, the new location makes for a much more efficient program. Next moto can start before the last few bikes are off the track. CTMX even had a sprinkler system put in the ground to water the gate area! You have all that water, would be awesome to have permanent sprinklers around the track!

I liked the layout of the track and the changes. Decent lap times, and not a slow track I love fast tracks. Track prep was great. Morning practice was not a muddy mess, and prep during day was good. Start was keep real nice.

The one thing I did not like.........yeah there had to be something. The 10 or so humps on the inside of all the corners. A few are ok, but I did not think that that many of them helped the racing. The straight next to the start became inside, inside, inside, and the humps get all dug out. I think racing in that section would be better without them. The step up in the middle seemed to be the spot to cause the most crashes. I know Griffen Maxwell and another guy both went to the hospital. I think it might have been the ruts on the face kicking them. Rest of the jumps were great.

CTMX doing all the little things has really set the bar high these days for every track in the country. Great job Jeremy and crew. Looking forward to the battle weekend.
Thank you for the mention. I'm sure you know why we didn't have our PA system sine you are the knower of all things lol. We ordered a $2000 PA system 3 weeks before our race. It was promised to us everyday for a week. But your response will be you had all year so my comment will be pointless anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Happy you ordered one. I was unaware. don't be offended. But it is nice to be able to hear what moto they are on. Not all comments are a bash. I remember struggling to hear at ctmx when they opened up too, and it was corrected. it's a big deal to most people

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

After my special guest appearance ended I walked around a talked to a few out of state plates and watched the racing closely. First, the inside corner humps.. I was shaking my head as I watched the riders slow up and line up just to take the inside deep rut. Finally in the womens class, a lady was smart enough to go to the outside and she blew past two bikes in front of her. The outside was PERFECT and fast yet most of the riders treated it like it was full of landmines. Maybe make the humps a little bigger or toss out a few hey bales on the inside to help develop and outside option. Personally I like the humps.
I had to hear what the out of towners thought of the place and I heard words like "Best track I have been to all year" "Wish we lived close" "regional next year". "Best looking finish line flagger in the country"....
My question is where the heck was all the racers? Lincoln Trial is a hole in the wall compared to Chili and they had 1300 bikes... Go Figure. I guess the numbers prove Ohio racers care more about a local race then a LL qualifier. Oh well... 82 days until the chili battle.

We were not there to qualify, just to race. I was surprised at how many guys I now went to pachetta creek or BC to practice. You only have so many races a year to race chilitown. Maybe the additional cost to get in gate, registration, and transponders kept some home. But amazes me, some of the people I know that will spend money to go to COCR or Treaty, and not go to Chilitown. Sometimes I think it is because they are intimidated by large gates. I was disappointed there were only 12 in 45 plus and 9 in 40 plus at a qualifier.

The slogan they use for the track, "It's not just a race, it's an event" is always true at Chillitown. Everything runs very efficiently, nice touches such as the landscaping around the tunnel to the infield, great looking new dog house, etc. We had a great time this weekend. Not sure what the final numbers were but sure not the amount they brought in at the Halloween race.

I agree with John, the humps proved to make the track 1 line in a lot of places. I watched the GoPro of the boys races on Saturday and it was most certainly 1 lined in several places. The big drop off corner that goes to the right and into the left hand sweeper, into the rollers was the worst offender. I didn't see any one take the outside and over that hump unless they dropped in with to much speed and were forced there.
My son had a lot of the MTF kids in his classes, they loved the facility but even those guys commented on the track being 1 line only.

New track lay out was much better wish you would have open practice insteed of letting a few people ride the track all the time this is why alot of a riders didnt show up who want to race lame staley when he has been there practicing for weeks that really lame be more like bc have open practice not just for your buddies

I agree with John, the humps proved to make the track 1 line in a lot of places. I watched the GoPro of the boys races on Saturday and it was most certainly 1 lined in several places. The big drop off corner that goes to the right and into the left hand sweeper, into the rollers was the worst offender. I didn't see any one take the outside and over that hump unless they dropped in with to much speed and were forced there.
My son had a lot of the MTF kids in his classes, they loved the facility but even those guys commented on the track being 1 line only.

We know a lot of the kids from MTF. When we were down there a couple of weeks ago, we told them to come to Chillitown. They all seem to like the track. Talk to some other friends who had never been there and they absolutely love the track and the facility. Only complaint I heard was the track wasn't wide enough.

Great job guys, you work your butts off and it sure showed. Thanks for a great weekend.

John is basically spot on. I cant really add much to that, I cant get over how awesome the grounds are for camping the weekend there. NO generator noise is worth the price of admission! It was great having a bunch of friends around again, it been way too long. Knox had to point out our area so it was already full in anticipation of our arrival. A new location was acquired promptly. And Knox .... you are NOT the most attractive finish line flag personnel by a long shot.

I must agree, the inside humps at seemingly every non 180deg corner on the track was stifling. And in all honesty this years track seems more like a stretched out AX or SX track. I did all of the jumps minus the large step down table to single / triple what ever you call it thingy. Its just not an out door track to me. If thats the feel you are after then great. I just think you are keeping less adventurous jumpers away. More than a few faces didnt have the greatest transition for the speed you were hitting them at IMO. Like I said, I didnt have an issue with jumping them but others I know did that usually do not. My biggest problem was fitness and seeing Knox every lap....and his black flag!

Im ready for the battle race and the Halloween race, bring it on!

On a side note, Im hoping the lesson was learned on putting the pee wee kids on for near the very end of the practice order from now on.

Last edited:
New track lay out was much better wish you would have open practice insteed of letting a few people ride the track all the time this is why alot of a riders didnt show up who want to race lame staley when he has been there practicing for weeks that really lame be more like bc have open practice not just for your buddies
Don't let the facts get in the way... BUT the fastest lap time was by a guy from Georgia that Im pretty sure has never even been to Ohio much less rode the track before.
Want faster lap times? Twist the thing in your right hand a little more.

That guy lives at mtf he pays $24000 to live there hes from the land down under he should have had the fastest lap time but thats no excuse for ctmx for only letting there buddies ride all week just to get smoked by him and some guy on a old honda two stroke

Thanks for the feedback, good and bad. The only comment I must defend is about Lane Staley. He rode one night for less than an hour in non prepped conditions for a media opportunity. We tried open practices before and we were not able to make it work finacially. Once I get some things back in order I will post an event recap. Thanks, Jeremy

Sad people has to twist the facts around. There is no one who got to practice this track!!! A handful of people got to ride one day for a test and tune and to release some media for people to check out the new track. All the people was kids of or people who had put in time at the track trying to get ready for the race.

Well your talking to the wrong guy because i drive past there every day and i no better watch the helment cams look at all the ruts them guys rode every nite it wasnt raining you know it and so does everybody else now

Dear Southern Boy, you are plumb ate up. I can name several kids and adult workers that I let ride after work days. If you drive by everyday why aren't you part of our team? Mr Staley rode one time as I stated earlier. Feel free to tell me more things I didn't know.

Well your talking to the wrong guy because i drive past there every day and i no better watch the helment cams look at all the ruts them guys rode every nite it wasnt raining you know it and so does everybody else now
Someone needs to ride it and give some feed back. You think Jeremy is going to build a track, new jumps etc. and have no input before a qualifier. Dude, it is really no big deal who he lets ride there, he owns the track!

Anyone know who was taking the photos? Some guy should have got a couple good photos of me and another guy coming across the doubles in the back side by side. On a side note, I saw that photographer, aiming the camera at us, and I never lost concentration and wrecked like some guys.

upload_2016-4-25_15-36-45.png

Aston Dickinson better ask for a refund from MTF cause he got beat from a poor local that cant afford 24K per year
Again, want to go fast?

We had a good weekend after arriving late Thursday night. I think the track was a much better design now and the start is much better too. Prep of the track was good with several ruts and lines and minimal dust or mud. I liked the humps/jumps/obsticles in the turns. I saw several passes, inside and outside lines, up on the hill. Did't watch the ones down by the start as much and maybe they were overkill there. I liked the duel lanes coming to the finish also. Made for some good racing. Some super fast kids for sure.

suggestions: Add trash cans to the new viewing area. There were none and people were leaving trash. I picked up several pieces. (No charge since it was Earth Day and my Birthday weekend)
Also, love the hookups, but $30 a night?

Back