Malvern Mx Track Layout Changes

Track looks great Rodgers. Hey half assed Beans is doing just fine and is getting great turnouts!! There are plenty of real motocross riders out there you just ain't one of them. So before you go throwing digs at Beans remember I Been giving real mxer a place to ride going on 20 yrs here soon.

My post was tongue -in-cheek and , I believe , a bit misunderstood .

I first raced Malvern ( Moto Sport Trails ) in 1974 , on a1973 Yamaha SC 500 , 2 stroke . Sure the track has seen many changes since then , in both ownership and and configuration .The track is in better shape now than I have ever seen it . It has always been considered fast and not super technical . There have been some great racers and races there over all that time and usually huge turnouts . OIR always has had huge attendance too ; again , fast and not that technical with more of a natural terrain layout( at least it used to be , haven't been there in a while ) .That is why I questioned the effect " more technical " would have on attendance .

My hill of " Beans " comment was in reference to the fact that it is a technical track ( and the big hill in the back ) and was actually sort of a backhanded compliment , in a way . I have been there many times as a spectator because I liked seeing talented racers like Hill and Karnow go at it , attacking the obstacles and each other during the races .Track prep always seemed pretty good . Saw some decent turnouts , for there , but not close to the amount of participants I've seen at the tracks mentioned above . It always seemed like many who liked to say Beans was their favorite track , didn't show up that much . Guess it was cool to say a racers track was your favorite but not as cool to put yourself to the test of racing there .

There have been many discussions on here about track safety , the power of modern bikes , skill levels , etc. . Injury is an unfortunate reality of this sport . The so called easier tracks have always been very popular because you feel more competitive when you can do all the obstacles . Of course you can get hurt on ANY track . It is also easy to get caught up in the heat of competition and ride over your ability . That is why I don't like to see tracks adding too difficult and technically critical sections that tempt racers into doing something they may not truly be capable of , just to be competitive . Modern engines , chassis , brakes , and suspension make it easy to go faster than you maybe can handle too .

Bj , my comments were not meant to be offensive , just wise cracks ( Hey , everybody else on here does it , don't I get a chance to be a pitbitch too ?) . I chose halffast ( Gee , you mean that sounds like half assed ? Who new ? ) when I started on PR because I knew my best racing days were far behind me . I had just come out of my first " retirement" from MX ( quit that time in 84 ) in '03 because a knee brace allowed me to ride with a trashed knee . Got an '03 KTM SX , rode a short while and destroyed my left ankle jumping and casing a 60ft double . They talked about amputation but saved it . The trauma from that injury caused damage to my already diabetes damaged eyes , requiring lasers to cauterize leaking blood vessels on my retinas . Was off work for 22 months and being on PR helped me get through it . Limp like hell and have had pain every step since . Kept on riding but got into vintage racing , thinking it was " safer " . Had loads of fun and kept racing my old Huskys until about 3 years ago when I trashed the other ankle when it got caught and snapped by a rut ( inherent danger of a 4in. travel bike ). More problems, so as opposed to becoming a blind , crippled up , old SOB , I've hung up the racing gear for good this time . So yes you are right , I ain't a real motocross rider, anymore . Maybe I never really was , but I was involved with bikes and racing most of my life and have seen enough to at least deserve my opinion . I'll be 58 next birthday .

Last edited:
Amazing where this stuff goes and how blown out of proportion it is. The original observation wasn't about the size of the triple or not being able to do it. It was just a safety concern that Jason has said he was going to do something about. Keep up the good work Jason. Malvern is a great place to ride.

A voice of reason in a chorus of insanity

Thank you for seeing reality and not succumbing to the mob mentality.

This is as close as I can get ya.

image.png
image.png

Back