Dungey - The Back to Back SX Champ

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
Is there anyone that is going to argue that Ryan Dungey isn't the Big Dog of the 450 class right now? He is consistently in front or very near the front in all races and all types of conditions. That is the sign of a Champion and he is getting it done.

I hope we have some closer racing outdoors with more guys mixing it up at the front, Tomac, Roczen, Musquin, Anderson, Barcia, and others hopefully can make Dungey work for the Outdoor Title.

Until someone starts beating him consistently, Dungey is the current king and I'm not sure how anyone could argue otherwise based on the past few seasons.

I am guessing Dungey is the most consistent and healthiest for the whole season and Dungey adds another outdoor title. I would even bet on him to win next years SX title.

Thanks rocket, I was wondering where all the "stop rd5 club" was , that said he is only winning cause no one faster than him is healthy crew! Ha ha

Dungey is solid, his podium speech was epic saying everyone on the team is important.

Good dude ..

Last edited:
Man, I've been a Dungey fan since he was on 250's. I remember he finished second his best as of yet, in the 250's. He was so excited he did a victory lap, epic. Then on the 450's in 2010 won everything including MXON. I was in CO for that victory. I saw his mechanic, Goose in the pits after. I said man you two had a good year, He said a great year. Then Dungey had a tough time with the Villopoto era. But he kept plugging away. Then he hooked up with Aldon Baker. Who can argue it hasn't been great for him. It refined him. Remember he was a B rider when Decoster picked him. Isn't that amazing he saw something special in him that early. Since the Aldon era with Dungey team seems to have gelled and he is the latest best. Like all others, MX is a tough sport, so many fall by the way side. But a chosen few like MC, RC, JS, RV, rise to the top for a period of time. Right now RD is doing what it takes to win championships. I hope he stays healthy and motivated to win many more.

People are going to hate me for this....
I really wanted to see roczen win. Maybe it's the German in me. No doubt RD is a hard worker and deserves the win. I just want to see someone give him a run for his money. It seems like Kroc is the only one that's close to being on his level. RD is by far the most consistent rider in the class. Even if Bubba had stayed healthy, I don't think he'd be consistent enough to win the title. I want to see more close racing. Let's hope for some battles outdoors, I was getting kind of bored watching RD hit the same line, every lap, exactly the same. Not taking anything away from him, I just like seeing some battles.

RD5 has his hands full with Rockson, he has found harmony with his Suzuki. Anderson too.

Out doors will be a challenge. I think the only way Dungey wins is with his consistent style, cause there are faster riders. Just not better.

I don't see anyone competing with Dungey. He's at the top of his game right now. He would have to have an injury for anyone to get on his level for 24 motos in my opinion. He's a different guy right now.

RD5 has his hands full with Rockson, he has found harmony with his Suzuki. Anderson too.

Out doors will be a challenge. I think the only way Dungey wins is with his consistent style, cause there are faster riders. Just not better.
Kr94 found his harmony with Suzuki for now but will be on a different manufacture for sx 17 !

I look for Tomac to wax everyone just like last year, did everyone forget the clinic he was putting on> Winning by the margins he was is rare. He stated he wasnt riding on the edge and it was a freak accident that ended the season. Thats a recipe for disaster for the rest of the field, that mentality means he isnt scared or reserved about his riding. Im calling for Tomac to win the championship.

Roczen has Dungey covered pretty well lately so I look for some good battles with him , Dungey, Barcia (if he gets his act together) and hopefully JS7.

rb_dungey.jpg

As a mere youngster:
At the Red Bud LL Regional .....not sure of the year. Bunch of us went, help me out guys???

He's on a STOCK RM 125 racing a field of 250F's in the sand. Don't think he won either.
But, I'm pretty sure this was the year that he caught Rogers eye. He did ours!!!!

One of the few (if not the only) 125 two stroke in the "B -stock".
He would get killed on the fast Red Bud start. Then put on a clinic passing as he picked his way toward the front.

Roger plucked him out of "B" class ....and the rest is history.

Look how big his feet are!!

Shark: The year was 2005 and Ryan went 1-3-1 in the stock class for second overall and 1-1-2 in the mod class, good for 2nd overall again.
bruce

Shark: The year was 2005 and Ryan went 1-3-1 in the stock class for second overall and 1-1-2 in the mod class, good for 2nd overall again.
bruce

How in the world can you go 1-3-1 and not get the overall, let alone 1-1-2? In the stock class the best anyone could have done was tie him and he had 2 wins. The latter has to be to 1st overall, only 1 person beat him in one moto. Its mathmatically impossible for anyone to have beat him??? I know pro MX has a goofy scoring system, what am I missing here?

bruce
Thanks Bruce! - you the man! ....well, not "the" man...that would be RD.
But you know what I'm getting at.

Will you be able to make any of this years Regionals? ...hope so.
If ya do, make sure to hunt us down...please.
Cheers!

How in the world can you go 1-3-1 and not get the overall, let alone 1-1-2? In the stock class the best anyone could have done was tie him and he had 2 wins. The latter has to be to 1st overall, only 1 person beat him in one moto. Its mathmatically impossible for anyone to have beat him??? I know pro MX has a goofy scoring system, what am I missing here?

You are missing the fact that MXsports will accept more than 40 entries for the regional qualifiers, making it necessary to run qualifying motos (which count as your first moto score).
They use the amateur method of scoring, add the motos and low score wins. In stock class Dennis Jonan went 1-1-2 (his 4 beats Ryan's 5). In mod class, DJ went 1-2-1, since both have 5 points DJ gets credit for the overall due to a better finish in the final moto.

bruce

You are missing the fact that MXsports will accept more than 40 entries for the regional qualifiers, making it necessary to run qualifying motos (which count as your first moto score).
They use the amateur method of scoring, add the motos and low score wins. In stock class Dennis Jonan went 1-1-2 (his 4 beats Ryan's 5). In mod class, DJ went 1-2-1, since both have 5 points DJ gets credit for the overall due to a better finish in the final moto.

bruce

Cool, thanks for the clarification!

Bruce is still the most knowledgeable amateur mx dude I've ever met. He's like the Mel Kiper of MX.

And I still have my autographed Dungey pic you sent me Bruce from when he was racing that RM125!

Back