Pre-Register for Vintage Motorcycle Days

Who said the mystery racer is a male? The young racer is 12 years old, yes.

Many thanks to all that worked on this. I did the disassembly, parts inspection, parts lists, some parts gathering, and re-assembly. The entire motor was done by THRacing, suspension done by SRS, new carb from Carb Parts Warehouse and several key needed components came in from overseas!

Last edited:
is he 12 years old?

Yepper.....test run in at Smith was sucessful! 1-1 in bomber/girls combined. See u all at Mid-Ohio next weekend. John built a screaming rig for Mitchy! TH Racing killed it building the motor and SRS got the legs dialed in!
image.jpeg

That CR is Bitchin! Will be a blast to watch him put the smackdown at Mid-O. He will probably be bored with the track in two laps though!

Way to go JK and Zman! It will be epic! We need a GoPro on him!

Folks, what started as a good thought, is not so good anymore. I was informed by Alex, in an effort in protecting Mitchell from becoming inneligable for Lortetta Lynns this year, we cannot race Vintage days. I do appreciate, although a bit frustrated, Alex reaching out to me and speaking to Kip B to clarify, what we can and cannot do...and taking time out of his schedule to advise the best and proper course of action for us.

To make a long story short, Mitchy is AMA 11 this year as of January 1st he was 11. When I read the vintage rules from the AMA web page, it only says you have to be 12 at the time of the event and does not indicate what I have read in AMA/MX Sports rules that youth age is based on age at start of the year, which he was 11.

This from the vintage supplemental rules that I was reading.
2) To compete at the 2016 AMA Vintage Grand Championships, participants must be at least 12 years old on the date of the event, with the following exceptions:
a) Riders competing on machines larger than 250cc must be at least 14 years old on the date of the event
b) Parents, legal guardians or authorized adults must remain present at all times during participation of AMA member in any sanctioned event.
c) Please see the 2016 AMA Racing Rulebook for regulations regarding rider eligibility.

So my reading, which was incorrect, was although 11 on January 1st and 12 as of the end of May, he would be okay for both Lorettas and Vintage Days.

So, if he races this event, even though he turned 12 in May, he advances himself in the age class and will not be able to run Loretta Lynns this year in the two classes he is qualified for. Obviously, LL is priority for us and our sponsors.

Sorry for the hype...is was a fun project bike regardless and fun watching him rip up Smith Road Monday on it. I can't thank John enough and TH Racing and SRS for going the extra mile on this project for Mitchell....maybe we will consider Vintage Days in the future.

Last edited:
And for those that didn't get to see it in action.. Here is moto2 lap 1 at Smith coming through finish area!

Where is the rule stating that if a youth wants to use their age as of Jan 1st then they must not race other classes they become eligible for by turning 12?

Last edited:
Where is the rule stating that if a youth wants to use their age as of Jan 1st then they must not race other classes they become eligible for by turning 12?
I think its nice that Alex spoke up to help eliminate a potential issue.

However I think he is wrong. MX Sports has an age date for qualification January 1st, AMA has an age qualification for Mid OHIO and is different, two different bodies with two different requirements, I looked and cant find where it say if you race as a 12 year old this week that you weren't 11 in January.

I found the rule.
Section G Youth Riders and Eligibility, #4.

A rider’s age on Jan. 1 will determine their age for remainder of the year. A rider may move to the next higher age class in the Youth Division only if they will be eligible to do so at any time during the year. Once a rider moves to the next higher age class in AMA or non-AMA competition, they may not move back to the lower age class. Riders are encouraged to determine at the beginning of the points season/year the age class they will participate in for the points season/year. Points earned in a lower age class won't transfer to the higher age class. The AMA at its sole discretion, under special circumstances, may determine that non-AMA sanctioned events may be exempt from this rule.

Looks like they are correct, perhaps not RIGHT but correct, so Karri should race it.

Bummer ! I was looking forward to seeing that CR in action.
I'm thankful that pitracer probably helped get the information out that led to the discovery that this could be a potential issue for racing At Loretta is for Mitchy .
But that doesn't Ease the sting any of not being able to ride after all that hard work was put in the building the bike .
This is a good father-son learning moment one of many more I'm sure will come .

This is part of the reason that they should have different rules that are specific to different disciplines. Most Vintage Bike racers are riding for the love of the old machines and not because they are fantastic riders. The bike is the deal they are there for, and so typically, Vintage racing skill classes are "Lower skill" than modern bike racing skill classes, making those that run Vintage "A" class have to run that in the Modern Bike racing too....... While there are ex pros that are good and should be there, many of the Vintage "A" racers are "B" modern bike racers or even below. They shouldn't have to race "A" in all other places when they happen to be a little better than the average Vintage guy.............

Just an observation from a guy that stopped riding vintage bikes to be able to run National Modern Events in the correct skill level class in that arena, which was more important to me at the time, much like the conundrum that Mitchy was put in now.

But Mitch should spank everyone on that Beast Next year when his age is 12 for BOTH!!!!

Good number of people here already. Staking out a spot just past the fence by the metal hut. Stop by and visit.

Back