Factory Ride

MW850

PR Member
Ok in another thread I challenged other vintage riders to let somebody ride a bike @ RT 62 ahrma reginal race. So here's the deal I will let a pitracer racer that has never rode a vintage race ride a 1981 490 Maico! So you could call this "Factory Ride for a day" Let me know if any interest.

Would love to ride / race a 490..
Unfortunately I'll be at Baja for the LL Regional the weekend of the 26th.

If the offer ever comes up again - I'd jump on it.

....but, I have ridden vintage bikes. Then and now. Just never the mighty 490....

I was a member of this Factory Maico team in 2015 for PV CC. You haven't lived until you bury an '81 490 in a Louisiana swamp on the last lap of a hare scramble. Great Factory program and great team manager, but his bonus payout for a win is s**t!! haha. Have fun at 62...I will be down the road working the Flint Ridge Dual Sport that day.

No takers yet?
I didn't go to a race from 1979 to 1983, when your bike was new. Does that count? :)

Awesome offer on the factory ride Mike! I couldn't tell for sure from you're post if you'd be going to the national or the regional, though I'd imagine if you're loaning a bike for 62 that you've opted to support the regional? I talked to one buddy about your offer who had liked riding my 84 RM250, but he thought it would take some time to get used to a 2 shocker. Told him the bike would have good suspension and power, but he then said he didn't want to risk messing up someone else's ride. At some point, I'd still really like to take a spin on one of your 490's.

I was a member of this Factory Maico team in 2015 for PV CC. You haven't lived until you bury an '81 490 in a Louisiana swamp on the last lap of a hare scramble. Great Factory program and great team manager, but his bonus payout for a win is s**t!! haha. Have fun at 62...I will be down the road working the Flint Ridge Dual Sport that day.
Your bonus was spent at the car wash!

Awesome offer on the factory ride Mike! I couldn't tell for sure from you're post if you'd be going to the national or the regional, though I'd imagine if you're loaning a bike for 62 that you've opted to support the regional? I talked to one buddy about your offer who had liked riding my 84 RM250, but he thought it would take some time to get used to a 2 shocker. Told him the bike would have good suspension and power, but he then said he didn't want to risk messing up someone else's ride. At some point, I'd still really like to take a spin on one of your 490's.
I'll get u on a 490 soon!

The problem with getting on a 81 Maico 490 is you'll be throwing rocks at your old bike once you switch back ! I've ridden/had them all and the 81 490 is one of the best/if not the best PV I've ridden. Close 2nd is my old 83 CR250.

I think I'm going to check this out. I have 2 1970's RM250's in my basement that need finished. This might be the motivation I need. Do they allow camping?

Back