Are we alienating proven racers?

hershey

PR Elite
Once you hit Daves age, you gotta burn down toy haulers to have an excuse on why you cant race.......

Hey now, I showed up the next day with a new bike for the boy, all new gear and still managed to pull a hole shot in the +30 class on a borrowed KTM 250F. Id say that was a pretty damn good feat considering all I went through.....including s**t on my trailer fender!

ktrop251

PR Member
Hey now, I showed up the next day with a new bike for the boy, all new gear and still managed to pull a hole shot in the +30 class on a borrowed KTM 250F. Id say that was a pretty damn good feat considering all I went through.....including s**t on my trailer fender!
I'll be in the geriatric classes soon enough. I may slip in to a senile state by then and start flipping off racers pulling in before sign up. Hopefully not, but we could get lucky. Itd make for a hell of a story for the great grand kids.

honda907

PR Addict
I have raced for 43 years. I quit a race series that I loved for years. Why? I was DQED two times for jumping on yellows ( once after I pulled a holeshot and was leading and a yellow came out the first lap. Yeah. No typo. First lap Long BS stuff) but more importantly, I drove 4 hours to sit till 6 or 7 pm. Just don't want to anymore. Nobody does

Promoters got greedy and split 45 and 50 classes, among orhers, up to ABC and people stopped going. Including me. It was better to have 45 fifty plus riders than 12 50 A riders. Battling in 18th was better than 4th in 50 C. So everyone stopped going. Except the chronic complainers. Then it got petty. I got singled out as did others. To fast for 50 plus. Just bull crap.

My kid hasn't gone to the last three races and is still leading the points. Go figure. The promoters shot themselves in the foot. The promoter asks me to come back and we can fix it. Yeah. Fix it. It's beyond broke. Way beyond that.

I just go to a local riding park now and do their 4 lap moto ( one moto) and go home. Show up at 2 and go home by 6. I get my race fix in that way. Actually, it's not bad, so don't knock it till you tried it.

My brothers riding Southwick tomorrow, and if John Dowd doesn't ride, he'll be the oldest guy there at 47. He doesn't even ride a local race anymore. Can't stand the BS. If the Lykens' don't want to race anymore, it's really broken guys. We are MX. I had cousins with factory rides. I've raced pro. I don't even care if my gifted kid races anymore because it's not the same thing as the 70s and 80s. Yeah I know, things change. Well when I started, we ALL WANTED TO RIDE PRO. ALL OF US!!

Now we have C riders riding 2 or 3 years at training facilities like Club MX . That isn't C, or the intent of C. Kids ride with Braton and Barcia. That ain't C in its original intent.

My fiance works at Club MX. Club MX sees it, but the promoters don't. So many of these kids race only 7 times a year. No local racing. They are fast as hell but can't ride in a pack. Just chews them up and grinds them into the ground. Until recently, there has always been a waiting list. Not so much nowadays. Wonder why?

Mx kinda reminds me of how our federal government work . They are so out of touch and try to shoot for the stars. MX Sports just sets the example and it's failing.....

Sorry for the rant.

Knox, you get my vote for President . You know how to market. Hopefully someone listens.................

But I doubt it. No wonder off road is killing MX.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father

Im kidding, That actually was impressive. Most people would have given up.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
I have raced for 43 years. I quit a race series that I loved for years. Why? I was DQED two times for jumping on yellows ( once after I pulled a holeshot and was leading and a yellow came out the first lap. Yeah. No typo. First lap Long BS stuff) but more importantly, I drove 4 hours to sit till 6 or 7 pm. Just don't want to anymore. Nobody does

Promoters got greedy and split 45 and 50 classes, among orhers, up to ABC and people stopped going. Including me. It was better to have 45 fifty plus riders than 12 50 A riders. Battling in 18th was better than 4th in 50 C. So everyone stopped going. Except the chronic complainers. Then it got petty. I got singled out as did others. To fast for 50 plus. Just bull crap.

My kid hasn't gone to the last three races and is still leading the points. Go figure. The promoters shot themselves in the foot. The promoter asks me to come back and we can fix it. Yeah. Fix it. It's beyond broke. Way beyond that.

I just go to a local riding park now and do their 4 lap moto ( one moto) and go home. Show up at 2 and go home by 6. I get my race fix in that way. Actually, it's not bad, so don't knock it till you tried it.

My brothers riding Southwick tomorrow, and if John Dowd doesn't ride, he'll be the oldest guy there at 47. He doesn't even ride a local race anymore. Can't stand the BS. If the Lykens' don't want to race anymore, it's really broken guys. We are MX. I had cousins with factory rides. I've raced pro. I don't even care if my gifted kid races anymore because it's not the same thing as the 70s and 80s. Yeah I know, things change. Well when I started, we ALL WANTED TO RIDE PRO. ALL OF US!!

Now we have C riders riding 2 or 3 years at training facilities like Club MX . That isn't C, or the intent of C. Kids ride with Braton and Barcia. That ain't C in its original intent.

My fiance works at Club MX. Club MX sees it, but the promoters don't. So many of these kids race only 7 times a year. No local racing. They are fast as hell but can't ride in a pack. Just chews them up and grinds them into the ground. Until recently, there has always been a waiting list. Not so much nowadays. Wonder why?

Mx kinda reminds me of how our federal government work . They are so out of touch and try to shoot for the stars. MX Sports just sets the example and it's failing.....

Sorry for the rant.

Knox, you get my vote for President . You know how to market. Hopefully someone listens.................

But I doubt it. No wonder off road is killing MX.

Quality post
The creation of the 250 C Jr. and the 85 9-12 classes are all the proof you need to prove MX Sports is only after the money and are completely ruining the sport. 250c Jr. Really? with all the issues of young inexperienced riders racing powerful 4strokes they went a created a new class just to keep them going. Not only that but it is a 12-16 age group and they made it an amatur class and not a youth class? What?
Soon that BS class will be asked for at the local events. And guess what will happen? Yeah they will run it. Which will add to the endless other BS classes with 5 riders and the promoters will say "it gets the same turnout as the rest of the classes. Why not run it? " Mean while the true racers that have been a long term customer stop showing up because 3 or 4 lap moto's are not worth the money. So what will the promoters do then? Well of course split the existing class into 2 or 3 more classes and call them 'open" or "extra" just to get more money out of the people that do show up.
Ask the racers that quit and find out why? Then try to fix that so they will comeback.
Consistently over the past 20 years the 65 class has been one of the biggest classes at every race. But the numbers drop BIG time in the 85 classes. Contact those parents and find out why they stopped coming.
No one has even begun to look for the true root cause of the problem. They just keep propping up the so called fix yet the problem never gets better. Gee I wonder why???
Oh, I forgot. Times have changed.

ck1racerx

PR Addict

k01

PR Elite
Did I read the results correctly? 52 classes? You have GOT to be kidding me. And I think I counted 262 entries. Thanks for proving my point for me. And there post says it was a record year.... Yeah, for the number of f'ing classes.

https://m.facebook.com/fasttraxx/ph.../10153659037430823/?type=3&source=48&__tn__=E

My point was no MX and the place was packed full of people. I had to park by the highway, that's a first. Full class lines for the GP. Yet a person could be in to race and out quickly if they wanted or stay for all the weekend festivities. Something brought them out and back in droves...

John250

PR Founding Father
starting next year, you have to be 14 day of the race to race a 250F. Even more reason to make schoolboy a 125 only class with no 250Fs. Let's promote keeping these kids on 125s to get them ready for a 250F. Very few are ready for a 250F from a 85.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Ck1. Every 6-8 sentences, press enter. (Might be the "return" key on your dinosaur company presario Windows 98 PC)

Press enter again.

Stay with me here. That's 6-8 sentences, enter twice. Continue ranting for another 6-8 sentences. Enter twice. Repeat Atleast 5 times before post completion.

ktrop251

PR Member
There are too many classes to choose from at the national level in my opinion. I remember doing three lap motos when gates were full at local races and I hated it. That was another reason I stopped racing. I can go ride all day for 25 plus gas. To go race these days you're looking at 40 plus gas to ride one class. Plus an entire day of sitting around waiting to ride. Maybe 2 practice sessions and 2 motos for 40.

People bitch about tracks running sessions (yes it can get annoying) but you're paying 25 for 4 sessions that are 20 minutes usually. Races last 4 laps.. maybe 8 minutes.

Those are round about numbers but at that, to get your money's worth, you're better off going to a practice track.

I'm not bashing racing, it's expensive to put on a race. Most of these tracks are barely breaking even at best. It's just hard to justify for the guys that can't afford higher prices for little seat time.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
There are too many classes to choose from at the national level in my opinion. I remember doing three lap motos when gates were full at local races and I hated it. That was another reason I stopped racing. I can go ride all day for 25 plus gas. To go race these days you're looking at 40 plus gas to ride one class. Plus an entire day of sitting around waiting to ride. Maybe 2 practice sessions and 2 motos for 40.

People bitch about tracks running sessions (yes it can get annoying) but you're paying 25 for 4 sessions that are 20 minutes usually. Races last 4 laps.. maybe 8 minutes.

Those are round about numbers but at that, to get your money's worth, you're better off going to a practice track.

I'm not bashing racing, it's expensive to put on a race. Most of these tracks are barely breaking even at best. It's just hard to justify for the guys that can't afford higher prices for little seat time.

Ktrop I hear ya, but racing brings on more excitement. Nothing like being on the gate.practice may be a better deal money wise for guys who don't want the rush of racing, but it will never replace actually racing. Especially if you have 10-15 on the gate. I get it 3-5 sucks, I'd rather just ride, but for the money racing brings more bang for the buck imo.

ktrop251

PR Member
Ktrop I hear ya, but racing brings on more excitement. Nothing like being on the gate.practice may be a better deal money wise for guys who don't want the rush of racing, but it will never replace actually racing. Especially if you have 10-15 on the gate. I get it 3-5 sucks, I'd rather just ride, but for the money racing brings more bang for the buck imo.
Oh if turnouts were more like 06 I'd probably race a lot more if gates were larger. I miss that feeling, 40 riders at oir wide open down the start was such a cool feeling. All my most memorable races were mid pack fighting my way up.

Romanyak256

PR Addict
I quit because
A: it's too expensive
B: too dangerous
C: wanted to start a family
D: build a show/drift car
E: I'll be back riding / racing when I'm 30, so 3 years

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I quit because
A: it's too expensive
B: too dangerous
C: wanted to start a family
D: build a show/drift car
E: I'll be back riding / racing when I'm 30, so 3 years

So will 50% of the guys qualifying for nationals running outside the top 20. They'll be racing too. So you shouldn't quit cold turkey, better just pro practice!