What would it take to bring you back to RACING

From the standpoint of always being a mx family we try an practice up rt62 an bc an other northern Ohio tracks when we can but we live southeast Ohio but now days we race a lot of gp an harescrambles not really because of money it's the time spent at the tracks an just wanted to change it up alittle an has made me a better mx rider in +40 because in don't wear down as bad on a mx track one thing I have always thought is an this goes for any track or any racing mx -gp-harescramble why should the rider have to pay a gate fee is when he is the entertainer for people that does come watch racing

Realistically how many people are just coming out to the track to watch? I mean usually it's just the riders family and girlfriend... You figure if the track has 600 riders and they're charging $15 gate fee the track would be losing out on $9000 just from riders gage fee if they let the riders get in for free..

I agree with John about Saturday practice killing race day #'s but nowadays parents/riders bitch about not having enough time to learn the track.
Because you get one 3 lap practice on race day because all the damn classes. Its all linked. And we all agree just with different view points.

But remember, these issue are very much one in the same. Ohio riders are not NEAR as fast as they use to be. We have plenty of people trying to make it to LL but don't make it because they are not good enough. WHY? Because they run 4 laps per moto. And /or play ride during open practice. We need racers in the area. We have tons of riders.

I'll respectfully disagree with a portion of this statement. Still plenty of fast local OH/PA riders, maybe not in the 50/65 range, but in the bigger bike classes yes. Most of these riders aren't showing up to your local races because the competition/payout isn't there and it shouldn't be for a local race unless it's a bigger race like the Battle Races.

The idea behind a new local series should be to get the weekend warrior back to racing. That's the majority of your stock here in Ohio and who you need to cater to. The laps per moto is an invalid argument with the series that I suggested above and quite frankly, if you can't do 4 laps and wax the local scene, you have no business even trying to qualify for LL.

Man, we must be watching two very different sports. 50, 65 classes and old guy class is the only group Ohio sends to LL now. We have 1 or 2 on 85's, none in schoolboy, C class is, well the C class. The B class has one good rider and the A classes are won by 25+ or 30 + riders.
The numbers over the years prove it out. This years crop of Ohio riders is the smallest EVER to race at the Ranch. EVER

I'll respectfully disagree with a portion of this statement. Still plenty of fast local OH/PA riders, maybe not in the 50/65 range, but in the bigger bike classes yes. Most of these riders aren't showing up to your local races because the competition/payout isn't there and it shouldn't be for a local race unless it's a bigger race like the Battle Races.

The idea behind a new local series should be to get the weekend warrior back to racing. That's the majority of your stock here in Ohio and who you need to cater to. The laps per moto is an invalid argument with the series that I suggested above and quite frankly, if you can't do 4 laps and wax the local scene, you have no business even trying to qualify for LL.

Who? Ohio is not churning out national caliber riders anymore.
90's to early 2000 riders I can think of:
Sellards
Rand
Burkhardt
Joe Oehlof
Gibson
Willard
Whitcraft
Bowers (Ky but was in Ohio more than anywhere else)
Browning
Kilbarger
Nathan Skaggs
These are all pros that would easily qualify for sx/mx or made a living racing.

wonder why most those guys don't come back to racing locally.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

Everyone has an reason (or reasons) of why you don't race, so what would it take to bring you back to racing?
Lets just say someone is going to listen and then actually make some changes to bring people back. What would bring you back, and or make you want to attend races more often?

All suggestions are welcome. No such thing as a stupid idea.
Let hear it.

fyi. this is real. Someone is willing to make BIG changes.

I'm not even going to start to look through the previous 85 posts, but for me it's simple: some time and a little more of the green stuff. Just a lot of things tugging on those two these days not allowing for the race thing to fit in. I've taken almost a year off the bike. Big things changing my day to day, but eventually I'll be back to some extent. Red Bud Vet Fest 2016? No. Shooting for 2017. BC Battle 2016? Thinking I can make that happen. Getting back to a practice track at all is the first goal. This weekend? 85% certain it will happen. ;) Emoji for you Porgie.

My days of racing every weekend are gone. I'm hopeful for a 1 to 2 races a month. That said...if Spencer gets into it and digs it...well, all bets are off then. :)

You have crap everywhere. Some people can look past it. Some peeps can't. Some peeps can change it for the better. Some peeps can't...they just sit behind the keyboard thinking they are instead of getting involved, attending, etc....

Sellards
Rand
Burkhardt
Joe Oehlof
Gibson
Willard
Whitcraft
Browning
Kilbarger
Nathan Skaggs

Zach Ames
Tony Gallo
Jared grabeil
Jeromy buehll

I grew up racing locally and doing the whole LL thing for about 7 years. Been out of "racing" for almost 8 years and now am just a pro practicer. The reason I don't race anymore is a combination of everything already stated in this post. I don't want to pay $100+ to race for 8 laps against 4 people for a piece of wood or plastic. A suggestion I'd have is giving out gas cards, or visa gift cards instead of trophies. I have umpteen worthless pieces of wood and plastic. Forget the cost at the actual race, it costs an absurd amount just to get there. Bikes, gas, gear, parts ect. has all increased in price over the years, but nothing in the sport has changed to help balance that. I couldn't have done it as long as I did without contingency. Now prices have gone up considerably but even contingency hasn't gone up to balance it out. Giving racers the option to receive a trophy or gift card could help. Hell, if that's not feasible for every class, then offer track bucks. Win your class, get 1 free class entry the next race there. Promoting riders to come back for the next race, and the rider is benefiting financially the next time they race.

Sellards
Rand
Burkhardt
Joe Oehlof
Gibson
Willard
Whitcraft
Browning
Kilbarger
Nathan Skaggs

I think you're missing the point of this thread and Kilbarger is like 26, not sure he qualifies for early 00's. Plenty of local fast guys under 25 still going for it.

Hand
Karnow
Clason
Pfleiderer
Taylor
Herrelein
Thomas
Cooper
Blanford
Demastry

Point being still plenty of fast guys from Ohio. Let's keep the thread to what's going to bring you and I back to the races, not the local pro's, they have their own series, you can catch it on TV pretty much every weekend. ;-)

"Bikes, gas, gear, parts ect. has all increased in price over the years, but nothing in the sport has changed to help balance that"

Nobody likes this explanation. Like it our not it's a factor. Especially when you consider barrier to entry for new riders. Hell 3 of my buddies quit simply because of cost. Ill be the first to admit the OEM bike manufactures beat the tracks to the consumers wallet. However while bikes and gear advanced tracks for the most part stayed status quo. So when riders do choose to ride they are usually looking for the best bang for buck.

Man, we must be watching two very different sports. 50, 65 classes and old guy class is the only group Ohio sends to LL now. We have 1 or 2 on 85's, none in schoolboy, C class is, well the C class. The B class has one good rider and the A classes are won by 25+ or 30 + riders.
The numbers over the years prove it out. This years crop of Ohio riders is the smallest EVER to race at the Ranch. EVER
Where was the big bike regional this year? Answer that and you'll answer the "ever". Two words "sand track"

Also, Ohio is a state that you can only ride outdoors at maybe 8 months out of the year. When you're competing against kids who ride year around, you're not going to see the return as you would from somewhere like a CA, FL, GA, or TX.

Don't believe me? Bet you can count on one hand the world class skiers from South Carolina. You're not going to produce an abundance of talent in an area not ripe for growing it.

Last edited:
The assumption that everyone would race if open practice went away is a bit far fetched.. I believe a lot of people just wouldn't ride.

Sand tracks have ALWAYS been around. Believe it or not but they actually had sand tracks back in the 80's and 90's. And in some cases the same tracks that had a regional this year. A good fast rider can qualify for LL no matter the surface. Always have.
Anyway, back to the subject. The gift card looks to be a reoccurring theme. Looks to be a simple fix. Quick and easy. I like it. Save the trophies for the kids that want them. Heck, let the kids have the option also.

Growing will send more kids. So, YES. :)

Really want to know what a promoter can do to bring riders back to racing???
Its not like voting for Trump or Hill. This will result in something you actually want.

I like track bucks. I am sitting on about $30 in track bucks for dirt country. They will be uses this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

Why give the winner free entry ? You know he's coming back! Give it to the guy that gets his ass whipped. I think Even Crute would race more if he was getting last and only had to pay gate fees to race the next event.

That's the 0% for 18 months credit card mentality. Give give give and before you know it the guy that got his ass whipped is doing better but ultimately addicted and racing more.

Why give the winner free entry ? You know he's coming back! Give it to the guy that gets his ass whipped. I think Even Crute would race more if he was getting last and only had to pay gate fees to race the next event.

That's the 0% for 18 months credit card mentality. Give give give and before you know it the guy that got his ass whipped is doing better but ultimately addicted and racing more.
You Democrat... You give the winner the $ because we worked for it.
Man... Bernie is out of the race.

Back