What would it take to bring you back to RACING

Another way I was thinking that could draw more racers is doing what CTMX did by offering free A class and 50 class entry. Maybe try drawing classes, 1 or 2, out of a hat weekly and those classes get free entry. Speaking for myself, if I saw my class was free somewhere there would be a good chance I'd show up to race. Getting people back to a race just once could be all it takes for "the bug" to bite them and have them back as a consistent weekend warrior.

Mini Jr
Mini Sr
Schoolboy
16+
30+
40+
250 All Star
250 C
450 All star
450 C
*Maybe a Beginner "D"

And that's it. If you don't see a class you fit in, then your not a racer.
2 practices @ 8 min each ( devided into 8 groups MAX)
2 twelve minuet + 1 lap moto's
and everyone is done by 5pm.

Or break it into Youth and Amateur groups:
Mini Jr
Mini Sr
Schoolboy
Beginner

16+
30+
40+
250 All Star
250 C
450 All star
450 C

And each group is at the track for a MAX of 5 hours. Click moto's off every 15 min.
The time works. If there is a delay for a rider down then fine, just don't let it fall behind for any other reason.

The Budget Series:
$20 per class, $8 to get in the gate. That makes a $4600 budget (10 per class plus 2 gate entries) which is less then the average.

2 to run signup and scoring. * $200 = $400
Starting gate guy = $150
Ref / Announcer guy = $150
8 flaggers @ $50 and a hotdog = $400
Insurance = $800
Medics = $500
Awards = $1000

Total = $3400

Promoter pockets = $1200

I know this is not exact, but the point is you can make racing profitable AND give the racers more for their money.

I may know someone willing to try this exact plan. Will it work? Don't know until you try.

How about a shorter race day for once? Or a smarter race day? Put 40 bikes on the gate and just drop it. Put 10 classes on the same gate I don't care. Also when did a track have to get 500 bikes just to break even? If a track needs 500 bikes to break even why make every single person get there at 6am and leave at 6pm? Who says every race has to include every type of bike ever made? Has anyone tried a mini only race? A big bike only race? A quad only race? A vet only race?

I hear promoters say it was a successful race...we finished at 3pm! Well the racer had to wake up at 5am and he got home at 5pm. That's still a 12 hour day for the racer. The average open practice takes about 5 or 6 hours and you get all the laps you can handle. Even with 40 classes and 500 bikes you could still schedule it, offer online signup and just tell me when to get there. 10am, 11am or 12:30 or whenever not 6am. Sell some practice laps between motos. That was the coolest thing Highpoint has ever done. If you had a huge gap between races you could buy a practice session to keep loose, work on a section, work on a setting, whatever. That would certainly help a 13 hour race day go by. Also I remember a race day at BC when the C track was open practice all day. I remember another race day at BC when about half the motos were on the C track. OIR and Scenic raced kids on the kid track. Same concept. Either make race days shorter or smarter.

I was going to post that exact article.

i like this excerpt from one of the first posts:

"Either way, to me the blame mostly goes to the tracks. They do not think like a business and they do not try to improve. Talking to track owners about basic marketing (free marketing) is like talking to your dog about investing. (they just look at you with a blank face)"

i like this excerpt from one of the first posts:

"Either way, to me the blame mostly goes to the tracks. They do not think like a business and they do not try to improve. Talking to track owners about basic marketing (free marketing) is like talking to your dog about investing. (they just look at you with a blank face)"

I agree. I'm not a business man by any means but some of the stuff you see people do / say or NOT do just blows my mind sometimes. No specific reference, but it just seems like with some common sense and treating it like a business, would be a lot more profitable than telling people to F off cuz they said something you didnt like on a interweb forum.

Have a website, make sure your listed on google maps, use your free tools like facebook, twitter, instagram, use hashtags, put up flyers, do some promoting around town (didnt chilitown run radio ads?), USE PITRACER [and dont cry about stuff and get your feelings hurt and make yourself / your business, look bad].

In that aspect of using PR, I've always for a long time thought track owners should have a personal account AND a track account. When a track owner starts posting their own personal feelings / thoughts / ideas and someone relates that to your track, it may keep them away. Sure many of us would stil know who is who, but theres probably some that do not, especially newbies.

this is interesting:

We have exactly the opposite. Everybody gets to ride a free practice and two 15 minute + 1 lap motos. Intent is to limit classes so that you end up with 20+ riders with similar material and speed, and only add classes if there are more riders.

We have the following classes, in brackets how many riders in this class in the first event of the year:
* Super (22): Anyone on a 125cc or bigger who has a license to race national races
* MX1 & 40+ (26): 450 4 stroke, 250 2 stroke, also include 40+
* MX2 (47): 250 4 stroke, 125 2 stroke
* Hobby (38): Anybody i think 15 or older, no matter what bike but minimum 125cc 2-stroke, aimed at beginner/hobby level. if you have times comparable to what MX1 or MX2 rides you get booted up to that class
* 85cc (27): big and small wheels together
* 65cc (21): big and small wheels together
* 50cc (12)

If there are to many riders in a class then the class will be split up. It depends on the track how many is considered a good number, but typically this is above 30. If the class is a combined class, like MX2 then it will first be split up. For MX2 it would be into a 2-stroke class and a 4-stroke class. If the group is still to big we will run series, and you end up either in the A-final or the B-final.

We start off at 10 in the morning and typically end at 4 in the afternoon, but can ride till 6 so have enough time to have more series if a lot of people show up.

For the regional races (so championship for riders who are member of 1 of 8 clubs in the region) we have more riders, and therefor classes are split over either multiple days (youth on saturday, seniors on sunday) or different weekends alltogether. For MX2 125cc 2-stroke for example we had 65 riders for the first race, and then it's just that class, and 3 other classes for the full day.

For me this is a good setup, if i go for a day of practice the tracks are typically open for 3 hours (with 15 minutes per hour for youth), and i ride 3 sessions of ~20 minutes max on a day. On a raceday i would have similar race time, so i don't have to worry that i'm spending all day to ride two 4 lap motos.

I started that post on Vital mainly to see if anyone would reply how Glen Helen / Rem Saturday operated. I am sure their operating cost is higher than most tracks in the U.S. but they are obviously are doing ok .

this is interesting:

We have exactly the opposite. Everybody gets to ride a free practice and two 15 minute + 1 lap motos. Intent is to limit classes so that you end up with 20+ riders with similar material and speed, and only add classes if there are more riders.

We have the following classes, in brackets how many riders in this class in the first event of the year:
* Super (22): Anyone on a 125cc or bigger who has a license to race national races
* MX1 & 40+ (26): 450 4 stroke, 250 2 stroke, also include 40+
* MX2 (47): 250 4 stroke, 125 2 stroke
* Hobby (38): Anybody i think 15 or older, no matter what bike but minimum 125cc 2-stroke, aimed at beginner/hobby level. if you have times comparable to what MX1 or MX2 rides you get booted up to that class
* 85cc (27): big and small wheels together
* 65cc (21): big and small wheels together
* 50cc (12)

If there are to many riders in a class then the class will be split up. It depends on the track how many is considered a good number, but typically this is above 30. If the class is a combined class, like MX2 then it will first be split up. For MX2 it would be into a 2-stroke class and a 4-stroke class. If the group is still to big we will run series, and you end up either in the A-final or the B-final.

We start off at 10 in the morning and typically end at 4 in the afternoon, but can ride till 6 so have enough time to have more series if a lot of people show up.

For the regional races (so championship for riders who are member of 1 of 8 clubs in the region) we have more riders, and therefor classes are split over either multiple days (youth on saturday, seniors on sunday) or different weekends alltogether. For MX2 125cc 2-stroke for example we had 65 riders for the first race, and then it's just that class, and 3 other classes for the full day.

For me this is a good setup, if i go for a day of practice the tracks are typically open for 3 hours (with 15 minutes per hour for youth), and i ride 3 sessions of ~20 minutes max on a day. On a raceday i would have similar race time, so i don't have to worry that i'm spending all day to ride two 4 lap motos.
If I got two 15 minute motos per race day I'd be out there every race possible. In today's racing scene I'm paying $35 ($10 to get in plus $25 race fee) for roughly 15 laps. I can go to any open practice and pay $25 to ride till my arms go numb. The only extra I get through racing is the intensity of a gate drop, which lasts maybe 30 seconds. Also the risk of injury multiplies heavily when I race (it does for everyone else as well, it's the risk that comes with it).

I am going to address why people aren't attracted to or gravitating to the sport as well as how to attract the practicers back to racing (obviously the latter being the topic).

As we all know so, many things have caused a decline in mx. We have only been in it since 2009 and I have seen a decline since then, which isn't that long ago. I have seen many people come and go, just in our (me and jonathan) short time of being in the sport. I believe that it is hard to attract people into a sport when the cost of entry is so high, just to touch on a few needed items: dirt bike (new or used?), a couple thousand ($2500-$10,000) and up, a vehicle to get it there, which is normally a truck ($5000-$60,000), some sort of trailer open or enclosed is even better ($500-$8,000), tools to repair the bike('s)($200-$1,500), all of the extra parts like tires, tubes, pads, bars, grips, levers, filters, oils, shifters, etc. ($300-$800) and this is to get you started and it only goes up from there. Well, I don't know about you but those things my friends are some serious barriers to entry for the typical american, especially if you are not even familiar with the sport. I would say the stick and ball sports are looking pretty good to the non-mx'ers.

Now for some of the guys that I know that have fallen off of the racer/mx band wagon. Some have completely left the sport due to injuries, some the kid lost interest, some because of the danger of the sport and for some they left because of financial reasons.

Its already been addressed but lets rehash some of this again. Racing is fun for the first couple years but after a while the ridiculously long days and nights gets old. s**t at some point, I have to start to pay attention to my house, my wife and my daughter again or those things are going to start to crumble. Also, for my son the tracks start to get old and he grows tired of them, not necessarily the tracks fault, its just the fact that things get old. So, our dilemma starts to be go to a race ride 2-3 classes for about $100, get very little seat time and be there for over 12 hours if we do the morning practice or go to a practice track for $25, get a ton of seat time, get there and leave when we want and its only takes about 5 to 6 hours of your day.

The other thing we have just recently learned is that our tracks are like highways due to our soil around these parts. We have started doing some riding in Michigan where the lap times are quite a bit longer, the sand is way more difficult to ride in, quite honestly it kicks his butt, some of the tracks don't even run sessions due to it not being crowded so, you can ride until your arms fall off. Some of the tracks have killer breaking and acceleration bumps and giant rutts for days. So, even though going up there takes time and money it actually takes no more time or money for a day or two than if we were to go to a local race here. Its comes out to just about the same but there is way more riding and on tracks that, I believe make you become a better rider.

Now, as far as, the local mx community getting more guys & gals to race locally, I think you have to be realistic about who and how you are going to attract.

First of all, I don't think that you are going to be pulling non-mx'er into this sport or at least not enough to make a difference so, lets forget about this group. You have to get the practicers to have a desire to come or the old racers to come back to racing. You also have to give the current racers that race but only a few times a year, to show up more often. If we can do this then we can get some larger gates and a better racing experience. So, the very first thing you do is let anyone that hasn't raced this year a "free" first class sign-up or waive the OMA membership.

Secondly, if you are an OMA member and you are the one responsible for bringing this person or persons to the track you get a "free" third class sign-up (I feel the gates filling up). Secondly, reduce the number of classes (OMA you ask the people how to do this).

Thirdly, if you are not using a sliding scale (i.e.$25, $20, $15) for your classes then don't charge the racers an entry fee, as a matter of fact the racers shouldn't be charged an entry fee period, as long as, they come in the gate with someone. I have said this before and I will say it again, mini's race from 9-12, large bikes from 1-4 and quads from 5-8 or some variation of this. That way if you don't want to be at the track all day you don't have to be but if you do, have at it. This could be on some kind of rotation and could be decided when the OMA is making the schedule. If something happens because of weather etc. so be it but 90% of the time, I am sure it would work out and if something gets screwed up, I'm ok with it, because bitchers are gonna bitch, anyway.

Fourthly, the OMA needs to make some kind of decision, in house, about is it ok if a track runs practice, while another is running a race. Because when these promoters are arguing about this kind of s**t in a public forum it sure doesn't look good for the organization. I know they are somewhat new but they should be having some kind of rules and general guide lines to follow, as an organization. They should also have meetings about what is working and what isn't working for the local mx community. Share idea's and practices and keep this momentum moving forward because, I think this year their lack of planning and not really all being on the same page has hurt them, which in turn hurts us.

Fifthly, I beleive the tracks need to make more changes to their tracks more often, try new things. It doesn't have to be a complete rebuild but change a section or two, bring in a s**t ton of sand or build a wall but do something every two months. Sixthly, give the person that came in "first" and the person that came in "last" a free class when they come to their next race (yes, I said last bc you are trying to get people to come back not chase them away). It doesn't have to be in every class but it should happen in at least one class per race event. Also, make it so that is expires with in a month or two so that, they have a reason to come back soon. Seventhly, maybe get away from the two moto format and just go by time, say 12 minutes plus two laps. I would think this would make for better racing and cut down on the time spent at the track. If they are going to keep the two moto format, I still strongly recommend a timed race. Instead of the pw's being out there for twenty minutes while the fast guys are only getting eight minutes, that's just not right. Lastly, if I were a promoter, I would be handing out a free t-shirt with my name all over it and the sponsors names instead of a trophy that no one will ever see except for the racer that won it. These guys need to do more promoting of their facility, sure a trophy is nice for little Jonny and I am sure less expensive than a t-shirt but I bet more people will see the t-shirt than the trophy. So, give the guys a choice on what they get. Malvern does Kames Bucks and those are great and we love the rocky mountain cards but I think the promoter's on a whole need to promote their tracks and events better.

I believe in the promoters eyes that they thought (or maybe is was bc of the parents bitching that little jonny needs his own class) more classes means more money but as we are seeing today that might have been short sided thinking and in effect has caused the day to get to long and the classes to get so watered down that now their is no one to race so, why even show up. Maybe, maybe not.

Last edited by a moderator:
You Democrat... You give the winner the $ because we worked for it.
Man... Bernie is out of the race.

Dude nobody wants to work for anything anymore. You want to alienate riders more ? so give it to the winner and then randomize the next based on most improved finisher from last week.

tldr

Back