Speaking of O.I.R.....

hershey

PR Elite
Lets see or hear your favorite stories or pictures

I remember the first years going there they had the long jump contest, there was a huge bowl corner where the table top is in front of the sign up tower. You come down the hill where you go up after the start now, into the bowl and full out to an uphill jump. I remember Barney Barnett jumping what seemed at the time to be 200" ! Lol... He won that contest a couple years I think.

I loved that bowl corner too, later it became a 6' high wall basically. Myself and just a few other people would rail that thing at the top, people used to sit up there with their legs hanging over. When they saw you coming in for the high line they would move out of the way and cheer. Made a lot of passes up there when I was younger and more aggressive.

One year I went off track in practice and landed in the deep creek way over to the left side heading into the back section. ( the track ran backwards from todays direction) The bike was completely submerged. I got all the water out but needed to clean my air filter. This was in the late 80's or early 90's. It was the first time I met Jason Rogers. Him and his Dad gave me some fuel to clean it out and filter oil. It was also my first experience at how tight and helpful the MX community really is.

IMG_20140413_105208073.jpg
my son when he was on a 150 and his cousin right behind him on his KTM 350.

Every father's day since I had started racing I spent at OIR with my dad. We always had a blast. I can't remember a time I didn't have fun there. Even on my worst days racing, it was still so fun. I think it was the atmosphere. Everyone was always just happy to be there.

I was landed on at OIR, broke my leg, and probably some fingers from roost there. I remember every time showing up and it being a 40 rider gate for C class. I even remember the 2 stroke day, there were two rows of riders. Got my ass handed to me but that was really cool to be a part of.

I would like to thank Nick and Chet for the hard work the past couple of years. You guys always gave it 100%. It was awesome being able to get back out and ride at OIR again.

OIR 2003-40 man gate in.... I won my first moto of 125C there, this is back when the down hill was a jump to a table top. Jerry Elrick took me out in the second moto and i went 1-3 for second place.

That 40-50 foot jump to table was one of the first "big" jumps i ever hit on my KX 100.

OIR was the best CRA track back then, we all loved going there.

I'd come out of retirement for an event like this. I know it's a little late in the season to request it but are there any tracks willing to try it again? I remember seeing something earlier this year about it. Not sure if the race has come and gone by now.

Pretty sure September 10th Route 62 is having a two stroke only race!

That video was before the GoPro.....someone had to film it. Edit it. And upload it to YouTube. A pain staking process haha

Gotta love the old school videos. Probably used a vhs tape in the camera. Whoever did it deserves props. That took guts.

2004... 125C I think back then lol .. Had just got my first 4 stroke.. 2004 Yamaha yz250f... 40 man gate and pulled the holeshot on my new bike.. Was pumped.. I finished top 5 but defiantly no better feeling then a big holeshot on a 40 man gate!

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Especially there. Because you're just balls to the wall wide open around that first turn that dropped down to the left and the entire pack is just screaming no mercy all the way to the ski jump. If you're up front you can just feel the roar behind you so much it drowns out your own bike. And if you're in the middle you're just surrounded by roar, and getting pelted with fast balls from Nolan Ryan.

Jack Howell used to start on the 40th gate and rip up the grass line and wax everyone to the first turn.

Can't think of too many other local places around that have a holeshot that envigorating. These stories are bitter sweet.

Such a unique slightly uphill start because you couldn't see the turn. You just boogied straight for the flag pole because you knew that's where the turn was. If you were the first to the flag pole about 8 guys would be immediately to your right roaring towards the ski jump. And vice versa if the guy in front of you hugged the flag pole you just held her wide, weighted the outside peg, rippin to the limit and praying to god you didn't end up in the pond, because there were many a starts where a line the width of a yard stick long ways determined either a holeshot or a wet fate....

THe last hand promoted race had 4-6 deep choppy ruts in every turn. For a minute you would forget you were in northeast Ohio. #SAVEOIR :(

Last edited:
Back