Speaking of O.I.R.....

Especially there. Because you're just balls to the wall wide open around that first turn that dropped down to the left and the entire pack is just screaming no mercy all the way to the ski jump. If you're up front you can just feel the roar behind you so much it drowns out your own bike. And if you're in the middle you're just surrounded by roar, and getting pelted with fast balls from Nolan Ryan.

Jack Howell used to start on the 40th gate and rip up the grass line and wax everyone to the first turn.

Can't think of too many other local places around that have a holeshot that envigorating. These stories are bitter sweet.

Such a unique slightly uphill start because you couldn't see the turn. You just boogied straight for the flag pole because you knew that's where the turn was. If you were the first to the flag pole about 8 guys would be immediately to your right roaring towards the ski jump. And vice versa if the guy in front of you hugged the flag pole you just held her wide, weighted the outside peg, rippin to the limit and praying to god you didn't end up in the pond, because there were many a starts where a line the width of a yard stick long ways determined either a holeshot or a wet fate....

THe last hand promoted race had 4-6 deep choppy ruts in every turn. For a minute you would forget you were in northeast Ohio. #SAVEOIR :(
I remember taking that last gate after watching Dave Jones blow everyone away on his kx125. That guy was always a blast to watch ride.

So many memories of that place.

First race on my 07 cr250 was there. Came around the first turn and off that hill. Looked around and was all alone. Thought dang this things fast. Then grabbed a bit too much front brake but didn't go down. Got passed by like 5 guys. Lol

Then the years on my 125. Huge gates in all classes and getting last plus 10ft in the first turn against 450s but passing 20 plus guys every moto. Wish I was in shape again.

Or that time I took Hershey out quite bad. Jacked his bike up good. Man was he pissed and came looking to tell me about it. Haha. But the next race killed his and I gave him mine for his next moto.

Great memories.

Or that time I took Hershey out quite bad. Jacked his bike up good. Man was he pissed and came looking to tell me about it. Haha. But the next race killed his and I gave him mine for his next moto.

Great memories.

Lol I dont remember the take out but I do remember the loaner! Its a great story.

Mickey Marshal took me out in practice, in doing so it actually ripped the gas cap off the tank of my YZ125....as in ripped it wide open!!! Obviously I couldnt ride it so a friend of mine, Trent introduced us, John Bush lent me his RM125. I went out for the next practice on it. I remember thinking "WOW this bike is fast!!!" After the next corner it quit running, top end went out. In the pits ole Beamer comes up and offers his CR125. Im golden again! No practice on it, no problem. Im heading up for staging and the bike is leaned up against my box van, as Im getting my helmet on I hear a thud. Sure enough I come out and there is the CR laying on the ground. I put my googles on and pick up the bike, broken clutch lever! WTF???? Luckly those were the days of Jock Jacobs so I ran by his trailer for a quick change and off to moto.

Great day at the races!

First lap of practice Tim Ballantine comes by and just smears me. Trashed my radiator. I was furious. First freakin lap of practice.

Lucky for us, we were loaned a radiator. Tim came by and gave me a bottle of engine ice and apologized.

Another time, the late nick prendes and I were having the battle of the day. There was a red flag after him and I made the lap. We come around the far back step up and there's a guy down and some ambulance crews. We both checked up amatuer national regional style (not much if any) get back to the gate were notified that we were both disqualified. :( Good lesson learned that day. You don't speed on the yellow at a hand race. :cool: I've always been on the bad end of getting passed on yellows and end up getting beat, and since I've never beat prendes up until that date I wasn't gonna slow down because i knew he wasn't. At qualifiers and regionals the kids would just put the after burners on when a yellow came out. Prendes was no slouch. He was one of the kids you only saw for a few corners on your best days.

OIR was a race day you never misses. Even if it was running ontop of a district 12 series race.

I was racing 2 stroke at an OIR race once and had a decent start (unlike me). I was around top 5 on my 125 and we were headed into the back section. The small step up right before the left hand 180 corner was in the layout. I was setting up for the corner when I hear a panic Rev. CR 250 screaming in my ear. I saw the wheel on my left shoulder and bailed. Hit the ground and heard my poor 125 ready to explode revving to the moon. I jumped up and ran over to my bike and the throttle tube was broken off, grip and all. A guy landed right on my left side. He looked at me and told me "what the hell? I thought you were actually going to jump it? You suck" lol For the next moto I unloaded my dinosaur 2002 yz125 and finished the day.

Another time I was involved in a fight on the starting line on pro day the moto before pro class. A guy tried attacking my dad and they had to postpone the start of our moto because, clearly no one was going to touch my dad for any reason. Especially because he was a month out of major brain surgery.

Ohhhh the memories. Lol

These are just the craziest things that happened at OIR. Thought I'd share some of my horror stories. It was a blast to go race there and I do have lots if great memories with great friends at that track.

Back