New track in 2017? Maybe...

ck1racerx

PR Addict
IMG_1617.JPG
IMG_1611.JPG
IMG_1612.JPG
IMG_1613.JPG

Well it took a long time to find it but it may turn out to be well worth the wait....
Hopefully a LOT more details to come...

Need a high def pic of a shovel fulla dirt.

I'll start crunching the numbers for your first open practice.

Startup: $80,000. Not including price of land.

I only wanna pay you $5 to ride though....

On a serious note.....me likey.

As soon as I sign the paper I will be calling. But who knows how long that will take???
Soil testing some time this week. With all this grass it's impossible to see much. Hoping for zero rock like the Cliff

So where is this place located? Looks like a nice piece of property. Hope everything works out as smooth as possible for you!

So where is this place located? Looks like a nice piece of property. Hope everything works out as smooth as possible for you!
I will give details when it's in my name. But it is 1/4 mile from a major U.S. Route and in a county with no other tracks. Of course southwest end of the state

As soon as I sign the paper I will be calling. But who knows how long that will take???
Soil testing some time this week. With all this grass it's impossible to see much. Hoping for zero rock like the Cliff

Watch gold rush? Tony Beets says drill holes drill holes drill holes. Rent a backhoe and dig everywhere, down to about 6'. This is the most effective testing I've found. On our property the soils changes drastically and quickly. Believe it or not,I have found gray clay, sand/gravel bank run, shale, and Peet bog. Right where the tracks sit is the only good damn dirt on the place.

Last edited:
The Budget Series:
$20 per class, $8 to get in the gate. That makes a $4600 budget (10 per class plus 2 gate entries) which is less then the average.

2 to run signup and scoring. * $200 = $400
Starting gate guy = $150
Ref / Announcer guy = $150
8 flaggers @ $50 and a hotdog = $400
Insurance = $800
Medics = $500
Awards = $1000

Total = $3400

Promoter pockets = $1200

I know this is not exact, but the point is you can make racing profitable AND give the racers more for their money.

He's going to find out just how absurd this post of his was, has no idea about what real costs are.

The budget series will need a method the to handle trash, as well equipment costs. Equipment maintenance, repair and fuel are big pieces of the pie at year end but may be as little as 500 per event depending on the number of events you run. Will you need to rent extra equipment for events? Rental can dig into your pockets much deeper. An extremely successful event could need a 30 yard dumpster, $450 per event, unless you burn and bury it all onsite? A Classes? What no payout? Not being mean spirited but just thoughts for the adventure

He was missing a lot of expenses, most racers haven't a clue what it takes to promote MX, up front equipment costs and equipment maintenance are huge as you listed, the A rider payout is a joke, wait till he starts paying 150 or 200 % for those guys. Not to mention radios, porta jons, fire hose, water pumps, water truck, computers, copiers and paper, year end awards, sanction fee or series fee etc, the list goes on and on. Then if he puts any value on his time or pays people to mow grass, weed eat, days of track prep etc that $1200 bucks he thinks he is going to get rich on is long gone.

Last edited:
He was missing a lot of expenses, most racers haven't a clue what it takes to promote MX, up front equipment costs and equipment maintenance are huge as you listed, the A rider payout is a joke, wait till he starts paying 150 or 200 % for those guys. Not to mention radios, porta jons, fire hose, water pumps, water truck, computers, copiers and paper, year end awards, sanction fee or series fee etc, the list goes on and on. Then if he puts any value on his time or pays people to mow grass, weed eat, days of track prep etc that $1200 bucks he thinks he is going to get rich on is long gone.

This guy knows his stuff and is spot on. My advice, find a circle of friends that will help you with grounds maintenance.....let them ride for working. Honestly, I wouldn't attempt a race for the first 3 years. Hone the prep, build your team of people, build your popularity. Get the equipment.

Lol.....one thing Knox isnt short on is knowledge. You can bet your skivvies he will have a detailed org chart and associated costs before he dives into anything too deep.

One other thing to remember that most all successful track owners already know, failure isnt the end. It is simply a learning tool, the best one there is. Success is measured by how well you learn from your failures and how hard you push on.

Ck1 let me know if you need a backhoe for test holes.

Back