AMA buckeye series

East Fork MX

PR Member
well everyone is curious to what the buckeye series is I (Scott Plessinger) have been looking at this for some time just wanted to do it at the right time with rider numbers climbing back up I thought it would be a good time to try it I think with a properly managed series we can pull 250 to 300+ Riders per event in southern Ohio this area has one of the strongest rider networks around its just educating local tracks how important proper management and being outgoing to the riders and providing them with a well prepped Track consistent thru out the series! Therefore said I will be working with the tracks to maintain quality and safe track conditions! I do have 4 tracks in the loop possibly adding additional tracks in this area but want to keep it at a 9 to 10 race series! Look at new Vienna before we took it over we have turned it into a premier track and that what I'm looking to do with the buckeye series! CTMX, Briarcliff and Malvern run top notch facility with big entries and Oma is a outstanding series I just think southern Ohio needs brought back from the dead and built into a premier race place! I'm working to get the best series built for everyone we will be running all AMA class structure and working on manufacturer contingency's so there's the low down I will list the tracks as soon as they are all finalized and on board! So stay tuned to the new southern Ohio mx series! Thanks to oma for having us as a part of there series for 2016 good luck in 2017!
Thanks Scott

Happy to see that SW Ohio hopefully gets back on the map. We will have lots of options in 2017 hopefully.

So are you planning on including all of the state of Ohio or just the south part? If so how do you call it the Buckeye Series???

So are you planning on including all of the state of Ohio or just the south part? If so how do you call it the Buckeye Series???
Everyone is welcome to come. From all points of the state. Heck, we even allow people form other states.... Come on man.... The Buckeye series was huge back in the 90's and early 00's. Not sure but I believe it was the first series to bring contingency $ to the area.
The "battle" for the state is not contested at every track.
The Mini-o's are not recognized by the IOC.
Japan teams are not in the World Series.
And I have never seen anyone from Mars in the Miss Universe

Everyone is welcome to come. From all points of the state. Heck, we even allow people form other states.... Come on man.... The Buckeye series was huge back in the 90's and early 00's. Not sure but I believe it was the first series to bring contingency $ to the area.
The "battle" for the state is not contested at every track.
The Mini-o's are not recognized by the IOC.
Japan teams are not in the World Series.
And I have never seen anyone from Mars in the Miss Universe

Knox, you know this isn't 1990 anymore.

Just hate to see the everything get divided again. (Dividing riders and dollars) I like the idea of the buckeye series, but would like to see it more state wide. If it included some of the northern tracks it would give me more incentive to drive over four hours to get to most of the southern tracks.

The average racer is not driving 4 hours to race motocross...good on them for trying to get something totally local for those guys down there. There are a select few die-hards that would travel that far to race a regional series, but that's about it. The average guy wants to go to the tracks that are closest to their home. It's not rocket science. Not everyone has 50 vacation days a year, or own their own business, etc. It's tough to race motocross for the average guy. I think it's great to reel things back in locally. I'm also a huge proponent of track championships. But then again I'm not very smart, so who knows.

Thanks for keeping us updated. The Buckeye Series has lots of history here in Ohio. I can't think of a better person to bring it back to life.

You've probably already contacted the usual suspects (DC, DMC, Treaty, COCR) and FastTraxx probably already said he's not interested but I'd take a swing at Pushetta Creek. The location is perfect. He's built that place in to a great facility but has never seemed interested in racing. It's worth a phone call to find out. Another track I'd throw in to the conversation is SVR. I've always enjoyed their layout and miss racing there. If you wanted a more northern track that would be my second call. Best of luck with your endeavors in 2017.

From what I have read from Scott on FB, I am not sure TCMC or COCR are at the point of what Scott is looking for in holding a 1st rate caliber series. Not that they could not get there in the future, but they wont be there in the short run.

Original 44, I have the same concerns. Are we splitting yet again? OMA has taken a few years to get going strong, added a couple southern tracks last year and now are we going to split? Like cart and IRL. Some will race the OMA races and not go south and some will race he Buckeye Series and not go north? I would have preferred that we stay OMA in this part of the state and maybe the Buckeye Series is part of the southern district races.

In the long run some people might not bother going to the battle series perhaps because they are going to a Buckeye Series race, and at the end of the day that hurts the Battle Series. If the Buckeye Series was part of he south division of the OMA these issues and scheduling could be discussed. It is not an issue to have a buckeye race the same day as Malvern is running a super series race or whatever, but you would want neither track to run if Chilitown is having a Battle race for example.

The rider count is down, and my opinion, splitting the pie all the time helps no one long term.

Guess I don't look at it as a division of the pie. The south only had a small slice of the pie over the past couple years with the closing of several tracks. And in 2016 the slice got even smaller given the amount of scheduled races was reduced even more. The OMA pie is a great one. The Kentuckiana pie looks to be growing. So hopefully the Buckeye series pie will fill the gap between the two.
The surprising info is the number of racers from the south that do not participate in either the OMA or Kentuckiana series. Hopefully the rebuild of the Buckeye series will give those racers a home series that then brings more RACERS back to the sport.
I myself have never really cared about a series. Always considered that to be won by the guys that show up at the most events (which is a really good thing) and not necessarily by the best racer. But knowing that all the rounds for this series will be within 2 hours of my home, I am looking forward to getting into the "series" feel.

Long and the short of it.. More opportunity to bring more racers into and or back to the sport is a good thing.

No, and that's why people want to race it.....

Maybe Im wrong but I think that was his point.

Im sad to see the OMA lose a couple tracks but for the southern racers this is good and makes sense.
What Im really hoping for is an final OMA vs Buckeye battle race!!! Maybe each year a different track can host it, one year East Fork, the next BC and so on..... That would be COOL!

I don't see me and Matthew racing the whole Buckeye Series. We will be splitting time between OMA and the Buckeye Series. Like a few of the OMA tracks too much now to not go race them. We will be picking and choosing where we race by what track is racing.

The fork, dirt country, Dayton and buckeye hills. Maybe Add Drews track and some night stuff at fast traxx and you can sign my ass up for every round Super pumped.

It will be interesting to compare race entries south vs north. Obviously you cant count the battle races in there, those are on a level of their own.

I think it's a good thing for sure. There's no reason that the OMA and Scott can't communicate dates so there won't be any conflicts on big race dates.

So who gets to call their series State Championship?

It used to be the Buckeye Series. Then it was the combined D11/D12 Championship race for about 5 years. Now it is the Battle Series....

I am sure the Battle Series will because they already have that title from the AMA.

Just my opinion, leave the Battle races at three. People make sure they are at those three races. You expand and people will start missing a round here or there. It works great, one in June, one in July and one in August.

Back