Should we hit the emergency button??

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
What classes can get cut without causing an uprising? Collegeboy is the only one I can think of that really doesn't get enough riders on the gate weekend to weekend and those riders can filter into other classes

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Cody Wolford

PR Member
Not ripping on any tracks or anyone. I understand the "dual sanctioned tracks" and understand having both the AMA and OMA memberships for the battle races. But what kept me from racing a couple tracks in 2016 ( I believe a few in 2015 also) was the fact the non battle races required the AMA and OMA cards.
Obviously I have the OMA But because I only race the OMA. it's not worth buying the AMA membership or even the 1 time pass to only race a couple races. I only full time race with the OMA. That's really about all I have to say. I don't think it's keep many people away but a good bit.
Thanks,
Cody

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Mini Jr
Mini Sr
Supermini
Schoolboy
A
B
C
30+
40+
2 stroke
4 stroke
Add women and PW's if enough show up.. and enough is 4 or more. (that goes for all classes)

Everyone get2 the same 12 min per moto. Click them off every 15 min
Start moto's at 10 and everyone is done by 6 (without combining any of them, so this is worst case) with a 30 min intermission.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Like mentioned above, same classes, same prices.....I'm looking for new ways to reach new riders. Positive ideas. So far I think the bike rental idea has merit and potential. I wish I had the time to maintain a of bikes though. That's the tough part.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
The bike rental idea is a good one (I had it a year ago :)) You would assume someone like KTM would jump all over this. They already have those test ride bikes. Each year when the new ones come out, make the older year the rental fleet. That would be SUPER marketing for the manufacturer. Get new racers hooked on a brand right out of the gate... so to speak.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Take that rental fleet to every fair race and have people enter to win a free race at that event. I could see radio and TV spots leading up to each fair "win a chance to race". Then since you are dirty, enter the greased pig contest... Heck, free air brushed Dokken T-shirt to the winners. Take it even further. The winner of each class gets one of those stretched out Coke or Pepsi bottles as a trophy. (all you old guys will know what I am taking about)

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I'd pay or rent a $5000 membership fee to a track that had the KTM rig there every race and provided me a bike to race. Byog bring ya own gear n gas.

Michael

PR Addict
I'd pay or rent a $5000 membership fee to a track that had the KTM rig there every race and provided me a bike to race. Byog bring ya own gear n gas.

Interesting that you say that.

Arrive and drive is the way to go in auto racing and karting, unless you have an insane amount of money to put together a whole team for yourself including mechanics, engineers, crew chief, and administrative staff. Even then, you can't match the time a team has had to mesh together and all the data and testing they have in their books.

There could be a potential market for the same model in motocross. You show up to the track in your car, get dressed, throw your leg over a professionally maintained bike and throw down some laps, have a professional mechanic fix whatever you broke and make some setup changes from your feedback, go out and run your motos, change out of your gear, hop in your car and head home. They've got all the logistics behind it, they provide you current year bikes, they've got all the experience to set the bike up perfectly, you don't have to think about anything except riding.

honda907

PR Addict
Breezwood Proving Grounds rents bikes. Google them and ask how much and how insurance works. Just small ones like XR100 and smaller. Foo foo bikes. That's a good idea. They have three tracks going on at once, and one is a dedicated beginner track

Back in the day, like mid 70's , a track called Moto Mecca , around Allentown , Pa rented bikes. Had a national there in 1976. They rented bikes ( Bultacos, Hondas and CZ's) and were sued there butts off. They went out of business real fast .

I think renting full size KTM's that are race ready would be suicide. Just my opinion. I don't think a rank beginner is ready for that.

Maybe call someone like MX Vacations in CA to see how you get around that. I know Dave. Used his services before. I'll ask what needs to be done to protect yourself.

Last edited:

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Many good points in this thread. Especially about gncc/ GP and harescrambles. Cuz....this is one of the items my wife bought me for Christmas. I won't be needing that for 4 sprint laps. So not sure how to get riders racing but the people that already race are transitioning away from mx.
IMG_5493.JPG

John250

PR Founding Father
I agree. Motocross is MUCH different that driving a car. Your just not going to hop on a MX bike and turn laps on a motocross track because you had a moped in high school This is disaster in the making.

Classes to eliminate:
50cc Open (50 classes 4 to 3)
65 Open (3 class to 2)
Super Mini (ride schoolboy)
2 Stroke
125 2 Stroke (all these bikes are eligible in other classes)
Colllegeboy
25+, 30, 40 and 50 (change to 25+, 35+ and 45+, you eliminate 1 more class)
women and girls (combine to 1 class) - faster B girls should ride the regular class
I eliminated 7 classes from the day right there. No issues

John250

PR Founding Father
Many good points in this thread. Especially about gncc/ GP and harescrambles. Cuz....this is one of the items my wife bought me for Christmas. I won't be needing that for 4 sprint laps. So not sure how to get riders racing but the people that already race are transitioning away from mx.
View attachment 54196

Hell that can be used for walking around the Flats in Cleveland,. or into a professional ball game.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Supermini will NEVER be eliminated. Ever. Its the perfect class for the growth spurt summer years. Talented Shrimps (pre spurt) can rip and magilla the gorillas (post spurt) can rip too.

HUD22

PR Member
I'm not sure of the answer to how to get people interested in moto or riding for that matter. I have 4 boys and only 1 likes to ride and he didn't start to like it until he graduated high school, now he's in college and only rides once in a while. I have always had nice bikes for all them but they are just not interested in riding and I'm not going to force them.

They are all boy scouts (2 eagles, 2 almost there), golfers and gamers but not riders. I think there are to many other options available for them and the fact that riding and racing is not easy moves it way down on their list of things to do.

premix

PR Member

KR4 arrive and ride has been around since 2012. 700-850 per race depending on bike. Such a good deal. No hassle just show up and race.

I've got my budget already done for next race season. With a new bike, travel cost, maintenance, upgrades, setup, and entry fee's I'm at 13,100 for the 8 rounds of the series we're running. (Mind you all out of state and driving to all) 1637.50/ round. The KR4 arrive and ride is a steal. Might have to do that in 2018.

http://www.kr4performance.com/racing-blog/kr4-arrive-n-ride-program-details#.WGM0oYE8KaM

I don't know how to grow the local scene, neither does anyone else on this forum. Want results, seek out marketing professionals. Times are a changin'

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

JB19

PR Member
The practice day thing is talked about a lot and how it is killing racing. I've thought about it another way. Maybe Ohio is ahead of the curve and practice days ARE the future. It fits perfectly with how society has shifted to a more laid back demeanor. People these days want everything to be convenient and easy. Show up at a practice day at noon, hangout with your buddies, bang out some 20 minute motos and head home to drink some beer and netflix. (netflix is now a verb by the way)

Does it make us better racers....? .....of course not, but it's fun and that's all most people care about these days. I've been racing for 30 years...not much in the past 12 or so, but I do have two kids 5 and 7 who love to ride. My 7 year old has raced quite a bit, my 5 year old twice. I'll be honest, my kids someday being 11 and 13 and racing scares the hell out of me. Part of me wants to train them to be cyborg racers and the other part doesn't really care if they race much because then I won't have to worry about them having a catastrophic injury that I'm responsible for for putting them out there to begin with.

I don't think cutting out practicing and trying to force people to race is a good model. You may just lose those guys forever. The economy is different than it was back in the day, interests are different and money is spread across many more forms of entertainment. Maybe we should embrace the change instead of trying to fight it because in history that has rarely worked.