RMATVMC Presidents day sale

John250

PR Founding Father
So I ordered some oil filters the other day and they were delivered yesterday. Get an email today that K&N oil filters are on sale for $0.99. Save $5.01 a filter. Wish I had bought K&N.

So if your needing to stock up on your oil filters order them now from RMATVMC for $0.99.

Yeah fluids are pretty cheap too on RM. I got charged 10 bucks for a damn oil filter today at a shop I will not name.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

I just paid like $17 for 3. Only to now be able to get them for $0.99. I would have bought 10!!

Due to ignorance, tell me why.

There's plenty info about why their air filters are junk on Google.
Probably 10 years or more when reusable stainless steel filters were a thing Maxima tested several brands including K&N. I don't remember the exact order but K&N finished at the bottom behind the stainless steel.
Also around that time they had an issue with one of the K&N Suzuki oil filters for flow.

To me it's not worth it no more than I change it. I religiously change my oil every 2 rides, oil filter every 5 oil changes and my air filter after every bike wash which is almost after every bike ride.

Like most parts car or motorcycle you almost can't beat OEM.

Got my email, stocked up on the Neutron filters and brake pads, as well as the fork oil! Used up the rest of my gift cards just in time to start earning more next weekend!

Understood. I change my oil and filter literally every ride. I don't ride near as much as I used to, so it's not a big deal. I either buy what we have in at Kames or if I'm using rocky mountain cards I grab a couple from there. Air filter is done every ride too. Even last year at regionals I changed oil and both filters between motos. Cheap insurance for a $10k dirt bike. My rides usually consist of 8 to 12 laps total a day at the races lol..

Meister --- I admire your desire to perform routine maintenance, but that aggressive of a schedule really isn't needed, and could actually introduce more risk.

For example, changing the air filter every ride is just plain overkill. You should change the air filter when it is dirty and needs to be changed. With todays filter and filter oil technology, a properly treated air filter can last a really long time in normal conditions. You are actually introducing unnecessary risk by messing around with it --- potential for something getting into the air tract during the maintenance, and wear and tear on the filter from a lot of cleaning

I also try as hard as I can to not be doing anything like that at the track. Dirty atmosphere, etc, ripe with risk. What I've actually started doing when I go to Regionals is I run a prefilter such as a filter skin over top of the filter. Chances are after Friday practice I will simply peel the pre filter off and then I'm all set for likely the rest of the weekend. If it's a "dirty" regional like Red Bud or MC Motopark (my air filter was the dirtiest ever in my like from that place) I would peel the pre filter and replace it with a new one. Whatever I could do to prevent breaking that nice seal of the filter to the box that I did at home in my nice clean garage!

For local riding around here, I swear you can go a pretty long time before the air filter needs changed. I also only clean the filter maybe 4 times before I just toss it.

John, on my Honda's and Suzuki I could go a few rides. My ktms however are a different story. I don't know if they suck more air or are just more exposed but after a normal ride I feel like they need cleaned. I'm extremely careful in the process as well and only did it after the wash and dry at the tracks. My Yamaha was kinda in between, even with the weird air filter location. Shrouds sucked dirt right in.

I run Cycra power flow shrouds. I get a lot of dirt in my filter on my Yamaha. But I agree with John on some of the over kill.

Just my personal belief is if your changing your oil after every ride or every other that's a bite extreme too. How many minutes are really on that oil after a day at the races? Not very much time at all. I would say your better off using the hour meter and changing it after 2 or 3 hours of riding.

Man you guys make the idea of buying a used bike super sketchy. Can't believe a racer would NOT clean the air filter after each and every ride. No matter how long it is. It takes like 10 minutes. Sucking dirt kills an engine. Why waste $700 on an exhaust to get an extra couple horsy's just to kill a bunch by ruining the top end.
New filter after a month or so. Cheap and easy preventative maintenance is a no brainier. Maybe that is why I have NEVER blown up a bike.
Oh. And change the oil every week. It's not like the thing holds 6 quarts. If you have a magnetic drain plug then you have seen metal shavings. Why keep that crap in your 10k fart bike?
Come on guys. Your better than that.

I have a $50,000 truck, should I change the oil after every day I drive it to work? Or should I change it at the proper maintenance intervals? An air filter for it is only $30, guess I might as well toss 5 of those in per week too.

You are crazier than normal if you think you should change your oil and air filter after doing 10 laps at BC on a nice day.

I agree. I do maintenance on my bike. Keep clean filters in them, and change the oil. But I've never changed it every other race or every race. I've torn down motors and they look great. Today's synthetic oils are awesome. It's not like it's 1970 and you using crap oils. I can race three times, not practice in between those three race weekends and only have 50 to 75 laps on the oil. So probably only an hour or so. If that's the case a gncc guy better stop 1/2 way and change his oil.

Your truck has 6 quarts of oil and turns 3k rmp at most. On paved roads
Your bike idles faster than that in less than a quart. In a dirty environment.
Not changing the air filter... Well, no one could ever convince me that you don't need to... That is just foolish

Back