Dirtbike owner shoots thief

crazy, If it does not stop now, then when!! bikes are being stolen every day. I feel for this guys rage! getting something stolen from you runs so deep. I might have done the same!

Hey the guy was riding towards him. He feared for his life. Prove he wasn't

Sucks though because this will be a victim case. Jury selection is gonna take forever. prosecutor is gonna try to Stack this hard against a guy that is going to try and plea self defense. They'll make this guy out to be a psycho over a dirtbike.

Doesn't look good for him. All they're gonna do is ask why did he track this guy down? (Dumb question. It's a set up for this classic one liner: "Because you had an idea in your mind. An idea to fire not once but (insert dramatic amount of bullet number here) again. And again. And again until this poor gentlemen that never had the right opportunities in life was dead....." all to make the jury think this guy is psychotic.

Could of all been avoided. Don't shoot people over stolen stuff. Law says you can't shoot people to protect property. And he will never convince anyone he feared for his life as the bike was coming at him.(not in the poor geographic location this trial will take place) Although I'd like to hear the real story not the one published.

Sabo they won't pick you as a juror. Lol.

They keep reporting unlocked garage. His day in court is gonna really suck. This dudes doin serious time. Stamp it.

crazy, If it does not stop now, then when!! bikes are being stolen every day. I feel for this guys rage! getting something stolen from you runs so deep. I might have done the same!

unless your life is in danger do not shoot or youll be like the guy in the article. insurance is cheap. lawyers and jail time is not.

IF the useless law enforcement officials had the balls to confront these idiots and get stolen property back to the rightful owners the scumbag might still be alive. But I guess its easier for them to just blame the victim and put him in jail. That way they don't have to do their job and leave their seat at the donut shop. I like the pics that they share of the 2 involved individuals also. Post a pic of the thief in a tux and the mug shot of the "shooter". TYPICAL lame reporting from the media!!!

I just wish that cops could get paid more for putting their own lives in danger constantly. There's just way too many cops getting killed these days because they are portrayed as the enemy to a lot of families. I believe that has something to do with dealing with these thieving, scumbag, thugs. I'm sure the cops would much rather be home for dinner with their families at the end of the day.

Wait Ron, Paying the cops more would do what? Would they then work harder?
If an average Joe can track down his own stolen motorcycle by simply looking on social media, then why are the cops not doing the same thing? They should have a group that does nothing but track down stolen property. Contact the seller of cars, motorcycles, boats anything with a title, and arrange a meeting. Ask for the title and if its clean, say have a nice day and leave. If its not clean then they just did something to curtail the issue of stolen property, illegal riding on public streets, black-market, and tax collection. If they are not tracking something, then create an area where legit deals can happen. The cop can then oversee the transfer of title. No more meeting at a McDonalds or someone's "house" to make the deal. Heck, I would give a cop and extra $20 for just taking 10 min to supervise the transaction just for the peace of mind. Crime rates in my city are thankfully very low. But crime never happens at Jims Donuts or UDF because cops are always there. So their presents works to stop crime.
Millions of tax dollars go uncollected each year from deals made on-line. Then if the cops want more $ for doing their job, we have a source of revenue. Every cop knows they are putting their lives in danger constantly going into it. That's why they get a gun on day one.
Of course I want every cop to go home safe every night. But if they are going to change how certain people view them then they need to work on proactive crime prevention. And this is not running radar, hidden behind a guard rail at the bottom of a hill.
Want to stop thugs from targeting cops (or any member of society for that matter) from violent crime? Bring back public execution. Let the scumbags see what will happen if you engage in this activity.

Wow, that got way to political for me. Can we please talk about something I am more comfortable with, like sandbaggers or knit hats?

Wait Ron, Paying the cops more would do what? Would they then work harder?
If an average Joe can track down his own stolen motorcycle by simply looking on social media, then why are the cops not doing the same thing? They should have a group that does nothing but track down stolen property. Contact the seller of cars, motorcycles, boats anything with a title, and arrange a meeting. Ask for the title and if its clean, say have a nice day and leave. If its not clean then they just did something to curtail the issue of stolen property, illegal riding on public streets, black-market, and tax collection. If they are not tracking something, then create an area where legit deals can happen. The cop can then oversee the transfer of title. No more meeting at a McDonalds or someone's "house" to make the deal. Heck, I would give a cop and extra $20 for just taking 10 min to supervise the transaction just for the peace of mind. Crime rates in my city are thankfully very low. But crime never happens at Jims Donuts or UDF because cops are always there. So their presents works to stop crime.
Millions of tax dollars go uncollected each year from deals made on-line. Then if the cops want more $ for doing their job, we have a source of revenue. Every cop knows they are putting their lives in danger constantly going into it. That's why they get a gun on day one.
Of course I want every cop to go home safe every night. But if they are going to change how certain people view them then they need to work on proactive crime prevention. And this is not running radar, hidden behind a guard rail at the bottom of a hill.
Want to stop thugs from targeting cops (or any member of society for that matter) from violent crime? Bring back public execution. Let the scumbags see what will happen if you engage in this activity.

Wow, that got way to political for me. Can we please talk about something I am more comfortable with, like sandbaggers or knit hats?
It's more of a funding issue than a pay scale issue. Departments across Ohio are generally down on manpower. Up here in northern Ohio, there are counties with only 2 deputies out patrolling per shift sometimes. The city and village departments are no different when it comes to manpower issues. It's hard for a group to do the things that you're suggesting when most of your time is spent handling the daily calls for service. I'm not saying there isn't any time for it but most detectives are already overloaded.

My brother in law had his bike stolen, him and I tracked the bike to where it was ridden, found witnesses saying who had the bike and that they saw him the day before riding it around in the area we were. We took all of the information to the state highway patrol. the state patrol office came and talked to the same people we did and were told the same thing. Guy was riding it out there the day before. Officer went to the guys house and ask him "did you steal the bike?" thief said "NO" didnt look for the bike or do anything further to the thief. told us there was nothing he could do. yeah i am sure paying that a*****e would make him better at his job. If he worked for me in the "real world" he would already be on the unemployment line!!

Sad state of affairs with this one. A friend of mine saw this on the news and called me last night to tell me this. I said good for the thief and bad for the guy who shot him as he will pay the price as well.

Back in August 2009 I had 2 Suzuki DRZ70's stolen from my "locked" trailer in my drive way over night. My twins bikes that were loaded up the night before for a race. Shame on me for loading up the night before and locking everything up. My kids were 9 at the time, never had anything like this happen to their things so there' upset but everyone recovers. I had Progressive insurance for all my bikes, the insurance paid enough between the 2 bikes to cover the cost of 1 new 110 and I paid for the other. Learned a couple lessons in the process and lived to ride another day.

Fast forward to October 2016 and I see a bike on Facebook for sale, a DRZ70 with BBR handle bars, FMF pipe but painted grey and blue and gold and its all broken and doesn't run - missing parts for the low low price of $200 w/o no title. If this was a 2009 250F would have never caught my eye but a DRZ70-I must have been one of the few people in NE Ohio to buy those things. The guys selling is selling for someone else, not going to move on the price - but I arrange the meet because I am thinking, this has to be 1 of my kids bikes. I tell the wife, I am going to look at this bike, I feel very confident it is one of mine but I cannot find my 7 year old paperwork with the VIN. If he takes $100, I am going to buy it and just say thanks and come home. I get there, offer him $100 and the argument commences.

He says I said FIRM, why you wasting my time - this is BS...blah blah blah. I said look, I think this is 1 of 2 bikes stolen from me in 09- if I am wrong, we walk into sheetz, I'll by you a 12 pack apologize and walk away. Still arguing, calls his "Sheriff Deputy" friend who he is selling the bike for and I hear the cop say "tell that a*****e to prove its his". Ok, so I call Progressive Insurance on that nice sunny Sunday in the sheetz parking lot and after about 5 minutes they email me the policy with the VIN #'s. Checked them against the bike and it was mine. Needless to say the situation changes, guy says "sorry - we're wrong your right its yours, have a nice day"

The best part: My kids are excited that one of these was recovered, thought it would be a fun project to fix it back up. Then I call progressive. Told them the situation and said I don't want to be accused of having stolen property and insurance fraud, what do I need to do to keep this? They send an adjuster to look at the bike and all the parts in the box and tell me $300. I said thanks but no thanks, its not worth $300 -come and get it.

I did not turn the guys in that had the bike, as I don't suspect them for a second as being the original thieve's but a few weeks later another DRZ70 was spotted on craigslist and sent to me as the potential 2nd bike. I said thanks for the heads up but no thanks. I am not tempting fate 2x like that, the next time I might get shot!

Haha...As I was eating lunch just now (first time I have had to think about this subject again), I thought that my post should have said that money isn't the only reason that cops don't go after these guys, but regulations keeping them from keeping themselves safe when approaching them do as well. As far as money, I don't know about you guys, but there is no way you'd catch me in a blue uniform for what they get paid. They probably need better training too.

My response was mainly towards mblair's response stating that they don't have the balls. I think they have to have pretty big balls to have the job that they have, and only get paid what they do. In my industry (cell towers), some get paid very well, and it's because they have huge balls (tower climbers).

My brother in law had his bike stolen, him and I tracked the bike to where it was ridden, found witnesses saying who had the bike and that they saw him the day before riding it around in the area we were. We took all of the information to the state highway patrol. the state patrol office came and talked to the same people we did and were told the same thing. Guy was riding it out there the day before. Officer went to the guys house and ask him "did you steal the bike?" thief said "NO" didnt look for the bike or do anything further to the thief. told us there was nothing he could do. yeah i am sure paying that a*****e would make him better at his job. If he worked for me in the "real world" he would already be on the unemployment line!!

Yea. Unfortunately in a free society you can't search and seize property based on what people see, or what they say they see.... all sometimes, not all the time. If it was a judges sons bike it would get taken care of. You guys just don't know the right people Blair!:mad:

The smart criminals know this and they're the most devastating. They just laugh and deny. Nobody can do anything about it.

Back