Transitioning back to the 4 stroke

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I can't lie I'm struggling. But not angry like I was when I had my 450.

I just ride 2 strokes a lot better. The engine brake on the 4 stroke kills me in ruts. I find myself getting stood up a lot. Where on my 2 stroke I could just lay into the rut.

I do the same thing on the 4 stroke and I bobble, get stood up, and kinda climb outta the rut. Messes with my confidence too. I noticed I started not looking far ahead like I normally do which only compounds the problem. But the track I was struggling on at mx acres was very rutted and challenging. Even still I noticed my corner speed is suffering at tvland which it wasn't real rough. There were corners with ruts that gave me problems that don't really give me problems on my 144.

Any two stroke transitioners out there got any advice on how they made the switch and what they changed in their riding style? Input much appreciated.

I haven't been on a 4 stroke in like 13 years. Less the 450 I bought in 2013 that I sold before it had 10 hours.

Dude, what your describing to me sounds like an issue I dealt with. I duno what tires your running or come stock, but once I put a mx32 on the front and got my suspension a little more dialed, the climb out or stand up effect quit.

Crap, I was on the opposite side of the spectrum, I couldn't ride a 2 stroke for crap. I feel your pain lol. Nothing like feeling comfortable on the bike.

I think it's cause you're riding a bike with two strokes to many...

..but, I agree with meister. Suspension and front tire.

George, do you still have the 90's cr250? Plan on midohio this summer.

Yea still got 95 cr. I got some michelins. Love those. I hate onelops. Dunlops They're good for one race.

My 06 144. What can I race that in ?? Is it old enough yet ?!?

When I let off the gas the engine brake really throws me off. It's pretty significant. Used to my free wheelin 2snoker.

I felt really good in a corner twice on my 250f so far. Both times I down shifted to neutral by mistake !! Bout fell over when I grabbed a handful of free rev both times !! But the bike didn't engine brake. I just gotta ride it more to get used to it again. I only got 2.7 hours so far.

I was gonna say Rekluse as well. I know back couple years ago there was a fast local pro who loved his 2 stroke but to be competitive rode his 450 with a Rekluse bc it took away the engine brake.

I think my transition back to 4 strokes this year is helping alot, lots of compliments so far on how much better i look. I think you just need more seat time

Rekluse. Just put one on my FC450 to help out in the woods. Takes away pretty much all the engine breaking. Can still use clutch like normal. No harder pull. They're 900 retail though, plus I put fresh frictions in when I did mine. 15 bucks/plate.

Well, we tried to tell you. Lol!

You're just spoiled by your YZ 125. Those bikes have excellent, easy setup suspension and will turn with only mind control. My YZ 250 requires a whole lot more attention to suspension setup to turn as well as the 125. My 360, even more yet. If you were around Wellston, Ohio, I'd recommend Corey Smith at ProTune. Then your bike would be turning just fine.

But I did ride the new jeffro667 '17 250SX. It turns well just out of the box...

I just started feeling good on my new 350 at 10hrs. I was constantly hitting neutral till about 7-8hrs. I think its a ktm/husq thing with breaking in. Also go off mxa suspension specs. I went off the manual and it wasnt even close to the right settings. First couple rides i thought i made a mistake getting rid of my two stroke but now im loving it. I was on 2st since like 92'!!

Sounds like your running the stock air pressure and the front end isn't settling in enough. Don't be afraid to try less air then the manual says.
My 450 wants 157lbs stock I think?
I run 144
Also have the forks on the third line up in the triple clamps

Seems to me that's what the clutch is for! I know I'm new to this but shouldn't you go into the corner hot and grab the clutch and get squared up and go like hell outta the corner? Last year was my first year riding and corners were where I felt most confident.

Use the engine brake to your advantage silly. Dont pull the clutch in until you dab it for exit speed. Also stay one gear higher than you think you need to be in. Youre riding it like a 125, you need to change your habits.

Im running 140 lbs air pressure. Stock clickers right now. Didn't wanna mess with them until I had 3 or 4 hours on them to get them broke in.

Back