Transitioning back to the 4 stroke

I'll give it 15 hours. Then I'm buying a husky tc250 lol. I read where they run those bikes at 60:1. Seems insane.
I run 50:1 with synthetic lucas in all my 2 strokes
Ive seen people run 100:1 with synthetic premix and have no problems

I agree with hershey, your used to a completely different machine.
Just ride the bike more, get acclimated, and you might just find that what you thought was a problem has now become a solution.

I have been a two stroke rider for my whole racing life (20 years) and when I do ride a 4t I have found that I can't chop the throttle and freewheel. The solution I have found is to never fully chop the throttle. When you go into a turn, you will have to retrain your wrist to leave it cracked open just a little bit. You also don't have to decelerate as soon or for as long.

I know its all about smooth delivery. When I first hopped on a four stroke I found that you couldn't haul ass to a face of a jump and let off on the face and coast, you have to stay on the throttle so the front end doesn't dive on you. Jumping is no problem. My fc250 feels great, centered and balanced in the air, even when seat bouncing out of a corner. Just has a real nice easy, flickable pitch.

Gonna have to keep the throttle on, and make smooth transitions from the entrance to apex and the exit of corners it seems. Looks like alot of figure 8 drills are in my future in the next few hours on the bike.

With my 144 I haul ass into the corners, freewheel (or clutch in) and heavy brake to the apex and then just explode with a handful of throttle (sometimes dragging the front brake slightly) and lean hard in direction of the turn to allow the suspension to soak up the rut, build up my momentum, and track like a slot car to the exit. It feels awesome when done correctly, like i'm on a rocket ship. But, with that style.....I can't do that on a 250F. My problem is my love affair with 2 strokes I think. I just can't get off them. Too much sex appeal between the sound and the ergonomics i'm used to. HA. Damn Four strokes feel like a fat chic. But this Fc250, she doesn't really come off as fat, maybe just a little thick, at the moment.

And also I wonder if I need to really move my body position way up on the tank with 4 strokes. Seems like I can get away with being a few inches back farther on a 2 stroke and she settles real nice, too far up and the rear wheel breaks loose it seems.

Last edited:
I'm with ya on the 2 stroke love... I really wanted to try a 250XCF this year but just couldn't get myself comfortable with the fact that I would only have the 4t, so I bought a 250XC 2t.

Maybe, if I can sweet talk the wife a little, I can pick up a 4t to match it after this race season and have both.

Best of luck to you. I know once you get used to it, you'll be like the rest of the "converts" and be a lot faster on it.

And also I wonder if I need to really move my body position way up on the tank with 4 strokes. Seems like I can get away with being a few inches back farther on a 2 stroke and she settles real nice, too far up and the rear wheel breaks loose it seems.

This being my first 4 stroke, I definitely find myself on the front of the seat more entering and exiting corners. I actually feel a pretty decent in the corners, especially with the old-man preferred 6"-8" deep ruts.

I am equally bad on both; does not change a thing for me. I just went from a 4 stroke trials bike to a 2 stroke trials bike and I ride them the same. I remember going to my 4 stroke mx bike and it change nothing; maybe a little more endurance on the 250f versus the 250 2 smoke.

All you ever do is bitch about four strokes then you bought one turn your brain off the 2 stroke 4 stroke thought you've been riding long enough to adjust just quit thinking about it so much. Also if you believe that the engine braking is the issue Hinson makes a slipper clutch to eliminate engine braking. I'm also sure your old Honda had more engine braking than the husky and you figured those out

All you ever do is bitch about four strokes then you bought one turn your brain off the 2 stroke 4 stroke thought you've been riding long enough to adjust just quit thinking about it so much. Also if you believe that the engine braking is the issue Hinson makes a slipper clutch to eliminate engine braking. I'm also sure your old Honda had more engine braking than the husky and you figured those out

In other words......quit being a little bitch! Lmao

IMG_5840.JPG
B

I never notice the engine brake on the new smaller bore four strokes. The 450s are a different story, I think that's why i don't like them. Your bike has less than 3 hours on it, maybe the rings etc have yet to settle in properly? More friction than normal? I bet you will get used to it by 15 hours... FYI the picture of your bike made me want a husky rather than the KTM. That thing is sexy.

Georgie, first slide up on the tank in the turns on the 4s, then get used to rolling the throttle on as soon as you are done braking and settled into the turn, and drag the front brake a little in the ruts so it tracks in the rut, look forward at where you are going and let the bike follow your vision, you must be looking too close and over compensating. It will come with a little practice!

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Back