Thievery in SC

Baker, your bike wasnt covered under your home owners because you need a policy for it. No different than your car.

Since my toy hauler burned to the ground Ive learned a lot.

Knox is correct, all contents in your trailer and car are covered under your home owners policy. Food, clothes, tools, books, dvd ect. This is the easiest part to deal with the ins company on.

Your car, trailer or home are covered on a policy of their own. So I had home owners that covered the contents of the trailer. My policy on the trailer covered it separately. Then my bike policy covered the bike and part of the upgrades on it. The upgrades the bike policy didnt cover flowed over on to my home owners.

The bike value was a it of a fight but not bad at all. The trailer value was a major pain in the ass and I ended up on the short end of the stick on that. But overall I believe I was compensated fairly for what I lost.

I pay $800 a year to cover my 3 bikes and my RV, my policies paid me about 52K. Id say not having insurance would have been one of the worst choices I could have ever made. When you see bikes being stolen every day its a wonder people wont spend $100 per year ( less than $10 a month ) to insure a bike. Even if its used and worth say $2k, you would have to have it 20 years to pay more in insurance than your bike is worth.

I was lucky I never insured a motorcycle before until 4 months before mine was stolen. All because of the "stolen bike" threads popping up here....

Allstate requires a separate policy from my home and auto. Learned that after a friend bike was stolen and I called to check, then got a bike policy for my sons 50's

I was with Cincinnati Insurance for years. Now I am with Allstate. I have asked the question with both companies. I am covered if stolen at the track or any where else.

As for the go fund me. Really? I hate it when people post those things. You got the money for 3 bikes, a trailer, a motorhome, your racing in Daytona, south Carolina, etc. riding qualifers. Don't be looking for someone else to donate to replace your bikes. My guess is, he had no insurance.

Well it is kinda shitty when you're dumpin all your money to try and make something happen for lorettas and that happens. They're probably just trying to scrounge up least they can to make it to regionals. Hopefully they can raise enough atleast for one 250F to try and run stock and mod classes.

Gettin 24k cleaned out from under you I think would hurt anyone posting to the board.

I was with Cincinnati Insurance for years. Now I am with Allstate. I have asked the question with both companies. I am covered if stolen at the track or any where else.

As for the go fund me. Really? I hate it when people post those things. You got the money for 3 bikes, a trailer, a motorhome, your racing in Daytona, south Carolina, etc. riding qualifers. Don't be looking for someone else to donate to replace your bikes. My guess is, he had no insurance.

I never asked that. I suppose I should I just know they said that auto wouldn't cover them if they were stolen from my van or trailer. Only the motorcycle policy will cover them. If they were torn apart and unrideable in the garage, home owners would not cover them. Only the motorcycle policy will cover them. They did say if you could articulate that a quad was able to be used for property maintenance, that home owners would cover them in your garage. If not then you would need an off road policy. That was State Farm and Allstate.

I attached snippets of the exclusions below that are directly from Progressive's motorcycle policy. This exclusion appears in sections 1 thru 4. Section one is Liability/Property Damage and section 4 is the physical damage on the bike itself. The policy also mentions in the exclusion for practice and prepartion for racing. Could this be applied during just a practice day? Possibly. As far as personal auto/motorcycle policies go, there are racing exclusions in all of them. Even in you personal auto policy. It may not be written exactly the way this one is, but they are there. If an agent is telling you otherwise, then ask for it in writing because you will need it when your bike is stolen and the company denies your claim if it happened at a race track.

Prog Cycle Policy - BIPD Exclusion.JPG Prog Cycle Policy - CompColl Exclusion.JPG

Since OPEN practice...is open, does that mean it's not a "closed course" ?

I really only have insurance for my bikes so that if someone breaks into my home or my vehicle when i'm not at the track I'm covered. I never even think that bikes will be stolen at the track. Now this is going to be the new norm. The days of leaving your stuff unlocked at your rig and walking away are becoming a thing of the past....

Since OPEN practice...is open, does that mean it's not a "closed course" ?

I really only have insurance for my bikes so that if someone breaks into my home or my vehicle when i'm not at the track I'm covered. I never even think that bikes will be stolen at the track. Now this is going to be the new norm. The days of leaving your stuff unlocked at your rig and walking away are becoming a thing of the past....
Back in the stone age (80's) I had a bike stolen at a race at Dirt Country.
I was out on my 125 and someone jumps on the 80 and rode it right out the front gate.
They installed a cable across the driveway into the track incase someone tried to do it again it could be quickly raised to make a "slight correction" to their head location.... Don't think anyone had a problem for a few years.

fyi. don't ride out the gate. I think the cable is still there.

I attached snippets of the exclusions below that are directly from Progressive's motorcycle policy. This exclusion appears in sections 1 thru 4. Section one is Liability/Property Damage and section 4 is the physical damage on the bike itself. The policy also mentions in the exclusion for practice and prepartion for racing. Could this be applied during just a practice day? Possibly. As far as personal auto/motorcycle policies go, there are racing exclusions in all of them. Even in you personal auto policy. It may not be written exactly the way this one is, but they are there. If an agent is telling you otherwise, then ask for it in writing because you will need it when your bike is stolen and the company denies your claim if it happened at a race track.

View attachment 55488 View attachment 55489

Read it again, I think an argument could be made for theft since you arent USING the vehicle if its sitting there. To me its excluding losses against damages not physical theft. But again, I would get that in writing if at all possible. Im sure they wont see it that way at all.

It sucks when you pay all this money them and they do everything possible to screw you out of a settlement when you need it.

How is that getting screwed?

Home owners insurance is a good thing, they pay out very well and make sure you are taken care of for the most part. Depends on your carrier, like anything some are better than others. I deal with them on a regular basis and it is far and few between when they try hard not to pay out a claim. On the contrary the adjusters seem to work hard to be sure you get as much as the policy will allow. The moment they think you are trying to pull a fast one they will change their tune. Ive seen home owners try that side of things and it isnt a good idea.

Form my experiences with vehicle coverages its a different tune. Most insurance companies work hard from the get go to give the least amount of money possible to the insured. As a business owner you and I both understand the importance of making money but paying 1/2 the value of the policy coverage of a vehicle because of technicalities and small print is a rip off. Its what gives the industry a bad name. Too many people are sold policies that are under the impression they have coverage that is gray and ends up not being covered.

The section IV above is very vague, I dont see it not covering a theft if its in your trailer sitting overnight art a race track. Some think it does, a salesman may sell that policy as covered and a buyer can easily see it that way. When you pay on a policy for years and find out when you need it that you are not covered.....rip off.

Dealing with insurance companies enough, you find that some of them do this on purpose, Its part of the industry. Allstate and State Farm are a couple of the worst.

I am going to check, but my Allstate policy is going to cover if my bike is stolen out of my trailer, no matter where that trailer is parked.

Taken right from the Allstate Web site

Beyond Homeowners - Off-Road Vehicle

Your homeowners policy likely does not cover your ATV, golf cart, dune buggy, dirt bike or snowmobile. Check your policy to make sure, but in most cases ATVs and similar vehicles aren't covered under a standard homeowners policy. Most of these insurance policies give you little to no protection for your off-road vehicle, especially once you leave your property.

But that doesn't mean your ATV has to go unprotected. ATV insurance policies can help safeguard your machine.

Although some states don't legally require off-road enthusiasts to insure their vehicles, many owners choose to do so anyway. An ATV policy can protect your vehicle as well as you against liability when operating a fast and responsive off-road vehicle.

The Essentials
So when you're in the market for off-road insurance, check that your carrier offers the following forms of protection:
  • Collision Coverage. You wind up hitting someone's fence, a fallen tree or possibly another off-road vehicle. The costs of repairing damages to your off-road vehicle can run into thousands of dollars. Collision coverage helps cover the repairs to your vehicle. It gets your dirt bike back on the trail!
  • Bodily Injury Liability. If you have an accident and someone else is hurt, you could be liable for that person's medical expenses which could include doctor, hospital and dentist bills. Bodily injury coverage provides coverage for that person's medical expenses. You wouldn't drive a car without this coverage, so why would you drive a golf cart without it?
  • Property Damage Liability. In the event you cause damage to someone else's property, such as a home, cabin or vehicle, this insurance will cover the costs of repairs to the structure. Don't get stuck paying potentially expensive property damage for which you're liable. Property damage liability coverage can help protect you financially from these costly accidents.
  • Comprehensive Coverage. What happens if a tree limb falls on your ATV while you're camping? And what if it's stolen? Or if it's damaged in a severe wind storm? With comprehensive coverage, your off-road vehicle is protected in events ranging from natural disasters to theft.

Taken right from the Allstate Web site

Beyond Homeowners - Off-Road Vehicle

Your homeowners policy likely does not cover your ATV, golf cart, dune buggy, dirt bike or snowmobile. Check your policy to make sure, but in most cases ATVs and similar vehicles aren't covered under a standard homeowners policy. Most of these insurance policies give you little to no protection for your off-road vehicle, especially once you leave your property.

But that doesn't mean your ATV has to go unprotected. ATV insurance policies can help safeguard your machine.

Although some states don't legally require off-road enthusiasts to insure their vehicles, many owners choose to do so anyway. An ATV policy can protect your vehicle as well as you against liability when operating a fast and responsive off-road vehicle.

The Essentials
So when you're in the market for off-road insurance, check that your carrier offers the following forms of protection:
  • Collision Coverage. You wind up hitting someone's fence, a fallen tree or possibly another off-road vehicle. The costs of repairing damages to your off-road vehicle can run into thousands of dollars. Collision coverage helps cover the repairs to your vehicle. It gets your dirt bike back on the trail!
  • Bodily Injury Liability. If you have an accident and someone else is hurt, you could be liable for that person's medical expenses which could include doctor, hospital and dentist bills. Bodily injury coverage provides coverage for that person's medical expenses. You wouldn't drive a car without this coverage, so why would you drive a golf cart without it?
  • Property Damage Liability. In the event you cause damage to someone else's property, such as a home, cabin or vehicle, this insurance will cover the costs of repairs to the structure. Don't get stuck paying potentially expensive property damage for which you're liable. Property damage liability coverage can help protect you financially from these costly accidents.
  • Comprehensive Coverage. What happens if a tree limb falls on your ATV while you're camping? And what if it's stolen? Or if it's damaged in a severe wind storm? With comprehensive coverage, your off-road vehicle is protected in events ranging from natural disasters to theft.

I'm waiting for you to post the coverage for recreational vehicle specific policies......I know I wasn't talking about having insurance for your dirt bike through your home owners policy.

I just got off the phone with allstate, I couldn't find my policy online. Lashanda, a licenced allstate policy representative, told me specifically..... "you have comprehensive coverage on your off road vehicle policy, it doesn't matter where it stolen from, it is covered. " I then asked her specifically....if I'm at anight organized racing event and my dirt bike is stolen, is it covered? Her answer...."yes, it is yours and you have comprehensive coverage on it, it doesn't matter where it is stolen from, it is covered."

It doesn't get much clearer than that. My policy is through allstate.

I'm waiting for you to post the coverage for recreational vehicle specific policies......I know I wasn't talking about having insurance for your dirt bike through your home owners policy.

That's what's shown. That's why I copied it -..... Off-Road Vehicle
Right from the Allstate site.

Back