CTMX Open A Battle Race

321mechanic

PR Member
For those that didn't get to witness this race they missed out! It was without a doubt the biggest, most talented field of riders on a gate in Ohio since the last race at Kenworthy's. I did not want to see this race end. Kilbarger, Gibson, Hand, Lorenz and Staley made this race one to remember. This group of pros silenced any and all critics about not being able to pass or CTMX being too narrow. The battles I saw throughout the field were impressive to watch. What a show!

Also worth noting is the pit bike class we had Saturday night! 41 entries for this class and it would have been a lot bigger but we turned away anyone under the age of 10 and limited it to 12" rear wheel max. It was so much fun to watch all those pit bikes on the track at once.

I'm curious to hear what all the pit racer royalty have to say about the event. It seems most everyone on here would rather argue about the C class when we should be talking about all the fun and interesting stuff that went down over the weekend.

Notables:
-40 pros in the open A
-41 in the pit bike class
-56 in the 250C class
-47 in the 50 open
-44 in open C
-18 in ATV C
-9 classes with 30 or more entries
-767 total entries (including the pit bikes)
-Top 3 fastest times in the 250C class was fast enough to place in the top 25 in the Open A class
-Jonathan Wells had the fastest lap on the weekend at a 1:35
-Based on class winners the South took this round
-Spectator numbers were up this year from last
-Best of all...Jeremy Forcum busting out Ice Ice Baby on the Karaoke stage

Those numbers and comments should tell you something. The class numbers are dominated by c classes.
How many of those 56 in 250c were granted appeals to move back to the C class? I know a few.....top 25 in the A class for the top 3 in C class???

Come on Kip Bigelow, please long on and chime in on how this bullshit "appeals" process works at the AMA. 8 out of the top 10 at iron man, were also granted appeals back to C class.

The open A class was great. Nice seeing a full gate of riders going at it.

We all knew the south would come out on top. Another reason for people to come race the Buckeye Series.

Pitracer royalty panel meets later today, will discuss how to go forward with commenting.

IMG_3868.GIF

Its pretty obvious, the last 15 guys in open A signed up in the wrong class. They should definitely be in the C class. They would have a much better shot at getting a trophy and looking cool...

Maybe you could mount up on your bike and show the bottom 15 what kind of show you could put on!
If you noticed in the first moto, just after the 40 plus slip and slide! The track was like ice in places. Guys going down due to standing water in ruts! Some of the guys who are really fast were around mid pack. Clearly the guys were in survival mode. Not a fair assessment of the Open A class you have.

An A class or pro class should be able handle any track condition. If water in ruts is your excuse not to win or at least do good, then it is just that, an excuse. The reason you did not do well is because they are not good enough. Or good old fashioned ability.
Fall in a greasy rut? We the dude in front didn't. Why is that?
Chili was Called a cow path after the regional. But if the cows don't follow each other then the cows have more options.

Maybe you could mount up on your bike and show the bottom 15 what kind of show you could put on!
If you noticed in the first moto, just after the 40 plus slip and slide! The track was like ice in places. Guys going down due to standing water in ruts! Some of the guys who are really fast were around mid pack. Clearly the guys were in survival mode. Not a fair assessment of the Open A class you have.
I don't want to speak for her but I interpreted the comment differently. I thought she was saying if they wanted to be cheaters they could have just signed up for C class to ensure that they got 1st, bragging rights and a plastic trophy. But maybe I'm wrong.

I hate it when my 16 year old son comes off a track and whines because the track is too muddy, dry, loose, hard packed, etc after watching the guys out front peel away from him. What is even worse is hearing a grown man do the same thing. Everyone races the same track. No one likes going out first after the track has just been watered but someone has to go first. Are you mad because your bike got dirty? Maybe you had to pull tear-offs and at your age its scary taking one hand off the bars. Cmon man! Its the Vet class. Last I checked no one is handing out factory deals to guys our age so lighten up, have some fun and stop complaining so much!

^^^^
Agreed. Luckily I warned my son that he would crash on certain sections that were hosed down between motos on the blue groove! I did warn some from the vet class, only the ones I like! I guess first place didn't get the message in the second moto! I like it, it adds drama, who's next kinda thing! Water the faces too, I say! Just run ice studs next race, you pansies.

^^^^
Agreed. Luckily I warned my son that he would crash on certain sections that were hosed down between motos on the blue groove! I did warn some from the vet class, only the ones I like! I guess first place didn't get the message in the second moto! I like it, it adds drama, who's next kinda thing! Water the faces too, I say! Just run ice studs next race, you pansies.

Hey man that's awesome....it takes a good team to do well in the race. Gotta listen to your gate guy for sure. My dad always picks up on technical areas of the track where people are losing time due to maintenance or just a subtle change and I usually can take that knowledge and make a pass or make it work for me in the moto.... I do know my starts are never as good when my dad isn't on the gate. Maybe that's a mental thing, but I'm convinced you gotta have a good gate man that you jive well and form a great routine with.

Sarcasm! 40th place prob would have lapped me twice.

Heres a simple solution, since everyone knows how to run a track better than the people who actually run them. Why dont you take over a track and you will prolly put all these other tracks out of business.

Few things to keep in mind tho. You gotta suit everyone, and you will never make everyone happy. Its always gonna be the same things. too dry, too wet, not enough ruts, too many ruts, too smooth, too rough, he/she is sandbagging, he/she is too slow to be in that class it goes on and on.

OR..... YOU CAN JUST REMEMBER EVERYONE RIDES THE SAME TRACK!!!! Some riders are better at certain track conditions compared to others.

No one wants to race on water on top of hard pack. Knox, your comment this time was just stupid.

Can't compare A class lap times in first moto to C class. Compare the second moto. Those A boys were getting it. Your 1st moto winner was back about 20th at one point. So shows you they were all hauling.

Us Vets have to work on Monday. Watering hard pack last year got Steve Williams hurt and he was laid up. So yeah, us Vets don't like it......but really doubt anyone else does either.

Solution is working track all day with little spurts of water after the last rider as mentioned the other day. Tractor and water working together.

No one wants to race on water on top of hard pack. Knox, your comment this time was just stupid.

Can't compare A class lap times in first moto to C class. Compare the second moto. Those A boys were getting it. Your 1st moto winner was back about 20th at one point. So shows you they were all hauling.

Us Vets have to work on Monday. Watering hard pack last year got Steve Williams hurt and he was laid up. So yeah, us Vets don't like it......but really doubt anyone else does either.

Solution is working track all day with little spurts of water after the last rider as mentioned the other day. Tractor and water working together.
You seen what happened when we tried to do what you are suggesting with spurts of water and light tilling; we end up having to do a sight lap every time to make everyone happy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ok. My thing is....can you not discern what a wet spot on a track is?

Sometimes you gotta slow down to go faster. You can't just expect a chocolate cake surface every time and ride 110%. The smartest guys win the race every time. I don't care if you got the fastest single lap time or not. The smartest guy wins.

Whose the smartest guy that ever raced the sport ? I think it's dungey. The guy has a lot between the ears. RV and RC can be argued as maybe one of the smartest as well. They're IQs and instinct I'd say are a little bit more evololved than the rest of us.

What's up with sight laps? What's up you sissies cant just ride the track as it happens?

Two groups that I have seen never ask for sight laps, kids and quads. Sometimes 50+, because if they're first, they keep their yaps shut, or its back to the rear of the order and staggered with women.

Last edited:
Back