Contingency Racing?

ck1racerx

PR Addict
While I am having a ton of fun on the 125, I cant help but notice the contingency programs everyone talks about. This may be the first moto related topic that I know ZERO about. Back when we had stone wheels, contingency programs were few and far between.
So, how does it work? Do you get money or some damn dealer check that I will never use? How quick do you get the $? Who has the best program?
A bright and shinny new fart bike may be in my near future. This may help determine the color of the plastic.

I have received KTM contingency a couple times in the past. The way that program worked for me was I signed up on their website, and when the funds were available it gave me a code that I could redeem at my KTM dealer. I would just go in, grab an armload of parts and tell them my code. They would subtract that amount from my total and I would go on.

Some years back when Yamaha was doing a ton of contingency in the XC world, a friend earned enough to buy his new bike for the upcoming season. I think they sent it all to him in a gift card back then.

yea like ^he mentioned. Now a days they just load it to a gift card that can be used at any dealer that carries that line, it doesn't even have to be used for OEM parts. You just swipe it like a credit card and boom your good results just got you some parts, oil, gear, etc.... (we have 15 bike brand lines when you start your search, just sayin :p)

While I am having a ton of fun on the 125, I cant help but notice the contingency programs everyone talks about. This may be the first moto related topic that I know ZERO about. Back when we had stone wheels, contingency programs were few and far between.
So, how does it work? Do you get money or some damn dealer check that I will never use? How quick do you get the $? Who has the best program?
A bright and shinny new fart bike may be in my near future. This may help determine the color of the plastic.
Bahaha. You're not gonna be happy. Most have to be racing a current model year or one model year old FOUR STROKE to qualify..... ok. Now begin your rant. Use proper punctuation and paragraphs. Then print off in a memo format and send it to Kawasaki. The manufacturer might mail you back a catalog of all the 2018 eligible lines....

I got Suzuki contingency this year with my new purchase late last year. It's a great program in my eyes. Must be at least three riders (top 2 get paid), If 7 or more riders the top 5 get paid. Suzuki contingency is sent to you on a visa card once you get your first qualifying finish. This card is only redeemable at a dealer for parts or towards a new bike (I asked about the second option). I was able to use mine at Rocky Mountain, so that was cool to add with my race gas cards.

Every manufacturer has its own rules and regulations, I talked with TeamMMR and he told me the Yamaha card can be used anywhere. That's a nice perk versus the Suzuki card.

The Suzuki contingency is also paid to the warranty owner of the bike and only pays two classes per event. Therefore, you don't have to the racer to collect the money. Have someone race your bike and win money for you!

Ktms program is decent (ktmcash.com). You can look at the site to find the events and what they pay.
Bike's are eligible for 2 years from model year, which actually is 3 years total(maybe even more if you buy the bike before the model year even starts).
I've made a fair amount the past couple years with them, in fact our battle for Ohio series pays out very well this year each race for all classes ($300-1st, $200-2nd, $100-3rd). Nice little bonus to have.

Does Honda have any contingency in Ohio? Cause if they do I'll sign up for it, but if I remember Suzuki had the best program

How does Suzuki know your bike was raced at a contingency event if someone other than the owner is racing it?

New or one year old bike with Yamaha. Sign up online. Send them your W-9 info and your good to go. They send you a Yamaha debit card. Put $50 on it for signing up to use in the Yamaha online swag store.

Matthew got contingency at Greenville a couple weeks go. $50 for a second place finish. I got an email within the week that the money had been posted to our account. It is a debit card that can be used anywhere.

Rider count rules are pretty much like Suzuki above. There are 9 contingency paying races in the Buckeye Series for Yamaha.

Not sure what all is involved in this "Sponsored Rider Form", But I guess its not as easy as I thought. All these damn rules! *Edit* Now im really lost because this form pays the money to the 'racer' not the 'owner'. They use the "Hookit" app to verify results, so maybe they just trust that?

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
And Quad A and Open Quad could get the most - more than any bike class.

Edit: That was Open A - a bike class and Open Quad that had the chance at $200, $125 & $100

Last edited:
Not sure what all is involved in this "Sponsored Rider Form", But I guess its not as easy as I thought. All these damn rules! *Edit* Now im really lost because this form pays the money to the 'racer' not the 'owner'. They use the "Hookit" app to verify results, so maybe they just trust that?

View attachment 56422

Ahhh, that makes sense. You can't just swap bikes around to scam contingency.

I've tried telling RAMFS the last few years he should be hitting all these races and getting Kawbucks....but he just doesn't do it. If the event name doesn't start with MXSPORTS or RedBud he won't go, haha.
Now his bike is too old anyway.

Back in the 90's the Vet crew I was running with (I was a young +25 racer) would clean up in D-5 races and bring home thousands in KawBucks by the end of the season. I remember the one guy earning around $10,000 and buying two new bikes with it plus parts. Of course now it's harder because the bikes cost more and they pay less in contingency......
Back then I was racing YZ's and would get YZ bucks but they never paid as much as Suzuki and Kaw.

Back