Team Green....Kawasaki !

I bought another carb for the bike last year at Vintage Days, I'm anxious to explore fine tuning with that as well.

I've had the bike all these years but have never really done anything with it except maintain it, ride it and race it. The KDX175's came from the factory with two different carburetor's, one without an accessible pilot air screw, the other carb with it. Mine is without.

I have always ran Boyeson reeds though.

Glad you started this post. I'll be following it.

4937-1424289191-46ebf788d5f9491e336bcb89d4b30383.jpg

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my buddies had Kawi's when we grew up, so I've always been fond of them. I also have a 1975 KH100 street bike that is in really good shape and runs well. It's on my rebuild list eventually.
My best friends dad bought him a KE125 when we were 15years old. He would steal the license plate from his brothers bike, throw it on the KE, put a helmet on and then ride it into town. He got busted 2 times by the police and had his drivers license suspended twice before he even turned 16. Oh the good ole days! :D

I do like smaller street/trail bikes and I've been eyeballing the old F11's and KE's like these. It's for the occasions when you just want to goof around and have a good time riding without being on a radical motocross bike.

I've gotta have me one.

We've spotted a couple really nice ones at Vintage Days and if I had the garage space one of them would of came home with me.

Here's a cool pic from the TV series C.H.I.P.S with the boys on KE250's. Very Cool.

Last edited:
Glad you started this post. I'll be following it.

4937-1424289191-46ebf788d5f9491e336bcb89d4b30383.jpg

I actually thought of you Dano and your KX when I was writing it. There aren't many of us on here.
You, me, KRH (Kevin), and MIssThe Flip (Nick) is all that I can think of. Kind of a minority.

There is a guy and his teenage son from Indiana that races a KDX175 as well at Vintage Days. We've talked and raced together several times at the event. Need to get them on here as well. We always shop talk about the bikes.

I actually thought of you Dano and your KX when I was writing it. There aren't many of us on here.
You, me, KRH (Kevin), and MIssThe Flip (Nick) is all that I can think of. Kind of a minority.

Jason - Alias MotoJason is another Post Vintage Kawasaki racer. Jason had been pushing AHRMA to allow early disc braked KXs into Ultima. With the new AHRMA Pre-Modern class, I suspect we will see Jason and his green stable with some cool bikes next year. His Kawasaki spider senses will be tingling and he will find this thread.

Now that I think on it, when we raced the AHRMA event at Rt62 in 2016 there was an AHRMA guy from somewhere here in Ohio pitted next to me that had a couple of very nice decked out Vintage Kawasaki's. He had a 250 and a 400.

And of course how could I forget that Kreps now has one amongst his sea of yellows.

I was studying on these two pretty hard at Vintage Days last year. If I had more bike room I might of taken them both home. Nancy loved the 175 and was all for grabbing it up. I can't remember exactly how much he was asking for it but it was priced very reasonable for the amount of work he did restoring it.

IMG_8729.JPG

IMG_8730.JPG

I also have a 1975 KH100 street bike that is in really good shape and runs well. It's on my rebuild list eventually.

My Little Kawi.
Another part of the story that I forgot about this is that I bought this bike and the KDX both on the same day, Aug 24, 2000. Certainly wasn't in my plans to go out and buy two bikes. This one was listed in the paper on the same page as the other, so I went and looked at it too. The owner live about two miles from me and had been riding it back and forth to work. (about two miles round trip each day). He said $300 and you can take it home. I had my wallet out before he finished the sentence.
This one has 6082 miles on it. I've had it up to 62mph before.:rolleyes: (speedo registers 85).

IMG_3265.JPG
IMG_3266.JPG

Had the 1982 - 125 - was fast like a cat
Handled like a weasel ....

Vintage Days 2017.
Nick DeVito and I going at it in the E3-Open B/C class.
I left nothing to spare for two laps holding his KX250 off, but unashamed to say he got around and took off for 5/4 finishes for a 4th place overall.
He races with speed and style........ I had so much fun I slept with a smile on face for a week.
JEN_6309.jpg

IMG_2292.JPG

Nikasil still on the walls - then it's good to go.

Take a pic of the jug - show some of the ports - I'm curious how much performance is in there.

I had difficulty getting good pics with the lighting I had.
To me the exhaust port looks small considering the amount of intake porting there is. I would have to think a larger/better expansion chamber pipe wouldn't hurt it none.

IMG_3268.JPG
IMG_3269.JPG
IMG_3270.JPG
IMG_3271.JPG
IMG_3272.JPG
IMG_3273.JPG
IMG_3274.JPG
IMG_3275.JPG
IMG_3276.JPG
IMG_3277.JPG

Last edited:
4372132184_d989de3702_o.jpg

Looks like there's plenty of performance top be found in that little engine.
Lot's of good info out on the web about these KDX's ....
Bet it will RIP after the rebuild.

It would be nice to make some gains if I can get them.
When I race Cross Country you spend a whole lot of time in 3rd gear at mid throttle just weaving in and out and just trying to make turns around trees, rocks, logs and other obstacles, but then there are those moments where you twist her open and go like hell and that's when I usually want the power that I'm used to from the 250's.

I'm working on my flywheel puller when I get a chance here at work today.

180DACE1-5DE3-41FB-969C-0687B2A7275D.png
618953A3-F807-4025-813E-51992F676ED0.jpeg
5B2FAB8A-1106-4DE6-BC2D-72334F89E30E.jpeg
Nice thread, Mike, and thanks for the shout out. You know I’m partial to the Kawis and I look forward to your fresh 175 tipping next year. Here are my 3 KDXes...1984, 2001, 2004

It would be nice to make some gains if I can get them.
When I race Cross Country you spend a whole lot of time in 3rd gear at mid throttle just weaving in and out and just trying to make turns around trees, rocks, logs and other obstacles, but then there are those moments where you twist her open and go like hell and that's when I usually want the power that I'm used to from the 250's.

I'm working on my flywheel puller when I get a chance here at work today.

Not sure I'd do much more that cleaning and matching with this one. Remember the bikes intended purpose and longevity isn't a bad thing.

The only way I can play here is with my old skis out in the barn. My lone KX is long gone. I ported this one back in the day. I'm not sure if was much quicker but it revved easy and had a great new fast sound. Probably more top speed once it finally got there. It could have used head, carb and ignition work to really make more power. That's the thing with porting, one thing leads others.
Scan083, January 26, 2005.jpg

In the KDX articles I've read, the forks are one of the first places to start. They were undersized on the KDX175.
A common replacement for the shock was from the KX125.

Back