Farkengruven

@Jack Bierbower
You may be more into the bang for your buck feature of a local race than me, but we have the same passion, and there is a way to get us at the same event.

This often talk of longer motos and less classes really could be something that just hasn't been discovered yet. Does anyone think an entirely new discipline of motocross track racing is possible?

Does your age really matter? Does your bike size really matter? Why have any classes? Why not group everyone by their average lap time and race that way? (Drag style bracket racing as a reference)

My father in law and I had a long discussion coming home from budds creek AQ one year. One specific rider signed up Saturday in the B class (finished 3rd). Moved to A class for sunday's racing (finished 5th)... How do we make track racing more suitable based on your speed (lap time) not what you or the ama 'classifies' you as?
If I remember correctly, the illustrious BC owner was thinking of doing just that. If memory serves it was going to be on a practice day. Practice sessions were going to be timed and race was going to split up the day. Can't remember the specifics but it was going to be a one off fun day of riding.

As for using times for normal racing, can't do it. How would you split groups by time with only a morning session for timing? By class, how would you judge ability, placement in races? One track to the next are different riders so that would be impossible. One week the same rider could get a 1st compared to the next a 6th.

Opposite end of the spectrum. I would still like to see a one lap moto. BMX style. Balls to the wall, all out. Man that would make for some good spectating. Pick a corner and watch the carnage.
5 moto format. lowest total wins
3rd moto the track is run in reverse.

Less is for sure, I'm not running races for the sake of it. Everyone voted by showing up this year, I took a chance, the racers did not. Probably 3 races, with battle in August is my guess. 2 for sure.

No interest in a Pro-Am, Scott can have that glory. Those races don't attract enough amateurs to offset the bigger A class gates. My opinion is the featured events that the AMA actually pushes should be the Pro-Am's. The events that have solid backing to pay the extra money. It makes zero sense to make a 300-400 rider event a Pro-Am. The mega races should be the Pro-Am schedule.
One thing for next year if malvern is willing to do it they need at least 3 day races. I love going to malvern and race but it makes no sense for me to go up there and race a Saturday night race. Also I think more people show up for day race. I had 15 in both b class and collegeboy that’s more people in b than down south

One thing for next year if malvern is willing to do it they need at least 3 day races. I love going to malvern and race but it makes no sense for me to go up there and race a Saturday night race. Also I think more people show up for day race. I had 15 in both b class and collegeboy that’s more people in b than down south
He actually gets a larger crowd for his night races than his day races, that's why he doesn't have more of them.

As for using times for normal racing, can't do it. How would you split groups by time with only a morning session for timing? By class, how would you judge ability, placement in races? One track to the next are different riders so that would be impossible. One week the same rider could get a 1st compared to the next a 6th.
Saturday practice sessions with open riding. All laps are recorded. Average of your top 5 laps designates your class or division. Race day is on Sunday. I'm trying to get those guys with bikes, 20 yrs. experience, and a job on Monday to the track to compete. (*cough Jon16 cough*). I feel the biggest issue would be sandbagging your lap time to race slower racers. In bracket racing though if you "break out" of your qualified time you lose. I think the track to track speed could be argued now, alot of racers good at High Point don't like Red Bud. But the best racers can win at both

OK. I am in the minority obviously. I would rather race BC than any other track in Ohio. Wide, fast and does not get near as rough as some of the other tracks. Much easier on the blown disc in my back.
We also prep for the majority, I feel like the prep doesnt need to be gonzo every time. That and we are still learning our tiller. The power harrow leans toward drying it out more, and leaving it flatter, smoother. So its been a challenge and a learning curve this year. Add all that into the new layout and somewhat starting over with the dirt, it proved to be a tough year. I think slightly rougher than what you saw this year would be a good move, but not Red Bud rough.

What about the last day race he had
Agreed, I don’t care for night racing anymore with my old eyes

Agreed, I don’t care for night racing anymore with my old eyes
The last night race I rode, mighta been my last. Largely due to exactly this. I made a deal with myself that if I'm gonna keep doing this, I'm only going to do it when/where I have fun doing it. I was super sketched the last time I rode a night race and that made it not fun at all. Riding at 60% just so I don't wad myself up because I can't see just doesn't have the appeal it used to. No fault of the tracks lighting, because I even hate driving at night now. Lol

We also prep for the majority, I feel like the prep doesnt need to be gonzo every time. That and we are still learning our tiller. The power harrow leans toward drying it out more, and leaving it flatter, smoother. So its been a challenge and a learning curve this year. Add all that into the new layout and somewhat starting over with the dirt, it proved to be a tough year. I think slightly rougher than what you saw this year would be a good move, but not Red Bud rough.
I thought the layout after you made the changes ended up pretty good. I liked it. And no one preps like BC. That's fact. Hell practice is not even muddy most days. Sometimes there is barley any dirt under the fenders.

I thought the layout after you made the changes ended up pretty good. I liked it. And no one preps like BC. That's fact. Hell practice is not even muddy most days. Sometimes there is barley any dirt under the fenders.
I got some more tweaks in mind for next year that will make the whole thing feel more at home. I saw some things during our last prep In September. Future visions I call them.

Back