Gas saving bike hauler

Toddco327

PR Addict
Ive been looking at cars lately because as my family is expanding and my Tacoma keeps getting smaller and gas mileage is less than stellar... I wanted to know what people thought of buying a gas saver car, throwing a hitch on it and towing a 3 rail. I mean 30+mpg is nice and with car seats and a trunk I could haul everything I need. Is there anyone out there running this type of set up? How's it working for you?

I don't race (gasp) so I won't be at the track all day. I practice once in a while and that's pretty much it.

jj584

PR Addict
I ran this setup with a manual trans VW diesel Jetta, it worked well for me. Only problem I had was at the time my son was on a KX85 and was pit bike riding a ttr125l. There wasn’t enough spring tension to keep the straps tight so they would come un done in the rough. Wound up with 4 staps per bike which was a PITA.

Bill480

PR Addict
I ran this setup with a manual trans VW diesel Jetta, it worked well for me. Only problem I had was at the time my son was on a KX85 and was pit bike riding a ttr125l. There wasn’t enough spring tension to keep the straps tight so they would come un done in the rough. Wound up with 4 staps per bike which was a PITA.

why wouldnt you just use straps with clasps on the end that couldnt come undone on their own?

and i would look for a flat deck 4x8 or 5x8 or whatever little trailer that you could put wheel chocks on. that way you can carry more than just the bikes on the trailer.

hershey

PR Elite
I have a 2012 Focus and a 3 rail, works great for practice days. I haul my bike and my kids 50. I will say that it reduces the mileage from 31 to about 28 hauling it though.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

PR Addict
Hauled a little 4/8 trailer from lowes behind my Subaru imprezza loaded with upto four 50's, tools and gas. Then gear in the back hatch. I had no issues.

Tom

PR Elite
A friend of mine. 328k miles 25mpg at 80 not bad...lol
28471924_1910531615926144_8118435858823240296_n.jpg

Toddco327

PR Addict
I have a 2012 Focus and a 3 rail, works great for practice days. I haul my bike and my kids 50. I will say that it reduces the mileage from 31 to about 28 hauling it though.

I think I parked next to you at Malvern in October. That's what got me thinking. Didn't have a chance to talk, I left in the ambulance lol. But for the cost of a big truck, gas etc I could be in a civic or Subaru getting good mileage. Plus you really don't spend time in your truck at the track anyway.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
IMG_1039.jpg

Favorite set up by far was my diesel golf. 6spd manual. Took it everywhere, florida, Texas, Carolinas a bunch of times. I put oversized rotors and helper bags on the rear shocks, but never had an issue with anything with this setup. I think a manual trans really helps towing anything to keep stress off of the car.
Stuff like this is the normal in Europe.
Regular 3 rail will be no big deal for any car. See it all the time. I wouldn't do my enclosed setup on a regular gas car though

hershey

PR Elite
I think I parked next to you at Malvern in October. That's what got me thinking. Didn't have a chance to talk, I left in the ambulance lol. But for the cost of a big truck, gas etc I could be in a civic or Subaru getting good mileage. Plus you really don't spend time in your truck at the track anyway.

Wow....obviously you healed up ok??

Toddco327

PR Addict
Wow....obviously you healed up ok??

Yep all good! Lol

I like the pics of the set ups. I think it makes sense to go that way for what I do. I'm only hauling one bike and maybe a 110. Plus in the winter I snowboard so a roof rack would work for that and anything else I'd need to strap to the top. A little flat 4x8 trailer is a good idea too.

Windtunnel36

PR Addict
I'll second the VW Golf Diesel. Mine I bought new and ready to turn over 300k, still get 40 mpg's, without a trailer that is.

Michael

PR Addict
Words of caution for towing with a vehicle not rated for towing or for towing over the rated capacity: if you get in an accident towing more than your vehicle is rated to be towing, prepare for a "fun" time with your insurance.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
Words of caution for towing with a vehicle not rated for towing or for towing over the rated capacity: if you get in an accident towing more than your vehicle is rated to be towing, prepare for a "fun" time with your insurance.
This is truth, I was always pretty cautious of that but definitely went over the limits a few times. My setup empty was well under the limits for my car(1500lbs w/out brakes). Weighed down with 2 bikes and water drum was in the 1600 range.
Proper trailer loading/tongue weight comes into play as well on car set ups as far as handling and safety go.