Gas saving bike hauler

Roachy

PR Addict
I have been towing a 5x10 aluminum with a Honda Accord; no issues, works great. Actually towed it with a side by side on it, no issues but was probably over the $1500 limit. Mileage is only about 20MPG with trailer but the Honda never got over 27 highway without a trailer

Toddco327

PR Addict
I don't plan on going above the weight it could tow. Between potentially 3 bikes and a 3 rail trailer I'd say we are at 800 lbs. So that's not an issue.

Glad to hear that it's worked for people though. Now to find the right car.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Are you wanting a trailer set up or a 3 rail? 3 rail could be any car. The trailer set up is like dragging a parachute. But if you get a small enough trailer shouldn’t be an issue.

If you can find a used van I’d just go that route. Initially it was just a moto van but I use it far more around the house and with my dogs for non moto purposes. I use mine to take the dogs on trail walks so If they get muddy I don’t care. Also use the thing to haul mulch....and really it’s not bad on gas, and has no problems pulling a trailer. If i have to buy an appliance or furniture, don’t have to worry about delivery guys etc.... just a thought.

Dave’s 3 rail setup works and with trunk space you’re good.

Also my wife has a forrestor with a hitch it sits tall, no parachute affect. I bet it would pull a 6x8 pretty easy. It pulled my dad’s 8x10 back and forth for a short moving trip without major issues. Not sure about dragging it through the mountains headed south but you won’t have that issue in Ohio.

Toddco327

PR Addict
Are you wanting a trailer set up or a 3 rail? 3 rail could be any car. The trailer set up is like dragging a parachute. But if you get a small enough trailer shouldn’t be an issue.

If you can find a used van I’d just go that route. Initially it was just a moto van but I use it far more around the house and with my dogs for non moto purposes. I use mine to take the dogs on trail walks so If they get muddy I don’t care. Also use the thing to haul mulch....and really it’s not bad on gas, and has no problems pulling a trailer. If i have to buy an appliance or furniture, don’t have to worry about delivery guys etc.... just a thought.

Dave’s 3 rail setup works and with trunk space you’re good.

Also my wife has a forrestor with a hitch it sits tall, no parachute affect. I bet it would pull a 6x8 pretty easy. It pulled my dad’s 8x10 back and forth for a short moving trip without major issues. Not sure about dragging it through the mountains headed south but you won’t have that issue in Ohio.

A mini van is basically what I'd have to get. Hauling dogs vs hauling children is where the problem is for a van. Gas mileage is the key. Plus it will be my daily commuter car. Also a 3 rail or flat 4x8 trailer is pretty much the same thing for what I'd need. I don't need sides. Not going anywhere overnight. Just local stuff.

D

DTS

If you are looking for a trailer, I'll let this go for cheap. I pulled it all over with a civic, but I've upgraded and no longer need it.
IMG_0460.JPG

D

DTS

Someone needs to take it off my hands. My dad wants it out of his drive way!.. and I need to buy parts :)

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Mini vans are where it’s at. A lot military units when stateside ask for them because they’re so versatile. Take the seats out and plenty of room. Plus high enough to drag trailer. Recruiters love them too they can take so much stuff in them to events to set up.

Govt uses the Dodge minivans. Tons of room inside and can pull trailer when ya want.

D

DTS

Haha Georgie, I'll sell you the car for $450.. and I'll even throw in the trailer for free. BUT.. I get to keep the bikes.:cool:

Mandy Boorom

PR Member
We love our Tranny! We get roughly 27 mpg going anywhere, we took the 3rd row seats out and stick our 50cc bike in the back. Friends of ours have the same set up but pull an open trailer with a couple bikes no problem, takes the mileage down to 24 or so. It has been very reliable, with that being said we are quickly outgrowing it (the 65 wont fit in the back) and I don't want to mess with a trailer so we will most likely be in a full size Sprinter by the end of the summer.

bockscars

PR Member
Our bagged Odyssey gets low 20s with the bike on back. I took it down to Gatlinburg with just the Grom (and with standard wheels/tires) and was averaging 27. The factory hitch package can support just enough to haul the aluminum carrier and a 250f comfortably but a steel carrier might be pushing it. The Grom is stretched about 4 inches and squeezes in snugly between the doors so its super easy to load in one side and out the other. Not the cheapest setup with the air ride setup but it sure is nice to unload when the carrier is only a foot off the ground!

24232925_10155670053911900_7639624206516696522_n.jpg

21751919_757922704410832_1586079684875770281_n.jpg

Last edited:

mblair

PR Founding Father
I had
A mini van is basically what I'd have to get. Hauling dogs vs hauling children is where the problem is for a van. Gas mileage is the key. Plus it will be my daily commuter car. Also a 3 rail or flat 4x8 trailer is pretty much the same thing for what I'd need. I don't need sides. Not going anywhere overnight. Just local stuff.

I used a mini van for allot of years and used a single bike hauler in a reese hitch on the van. Worked like a champ and still got close to 30MPG. When my daughter rode I would just take the back seat out of the van and put her 50 or 110 in the back of the van. I had a box truck at the same time but at 13MPG found it barely ever moved out of the driveway. Bought a camper so now I have a 2500HD that gets 13MPG but gotta pull the camper. I think i am putting a hitch on my work car, a Kia Soul, though for small trips.

Toddco327

PR Addict
I'm happy to see that others have went the economy car route. A bagged mini van is the coolest by far. And I'm trying not to go full dad and get the mini van. I'll prob end up with a civic or Subaru. Either way I really appreciate all the info from everyone. And thanks to the guys who reached out with 3 rails.